Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Class 3 comp crawler... Dig or 4ws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #1

Default Class 3 comp crawler... Dig or 4ws?

I know in class 3 that you can have dig or you can have four wheel steer.. I'm really trying to figure out what makes the most sense I'm getting ready to look at some new axles so I really need to decide if I want to purchase two front axles to allow me four-wheel steer or if I want to look at a dig transmission

The truck is currently set up for four wheel steer but only because I have the parts to do it... I've become pretty good at driving with four wheel steer and added all the components necessary to make it a selectable thing allowing for normal four-wheel steering for tighter turn radius, crab walk, and everything in between even rear wheel steer...

But I haven't played around with dig yet

Last edited by ericfx1984; 01-16-2022 at 10:45 AM.
ericfx1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Class 3 comp crawler... Dig or 4ws?

If you have some experience comping a 4 wheel steer then I'd say stick with it. But I prefer dig, less contraction for myself and I like the U turn ability more.

In a perfect world, build the same class 3's but one with dig and other with rear steer. Then try to study the upcoming course if you can to see which performs better at that given time etc.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm in agreement for two trucks. For Scale Natls last year, I had a 4WS C3 rig...and, for my first time competing (yes...not just first time at Scale Natls, but first time ever competing), I didn't do to badly (ended in the middle of the pack). I experienced how a 4WS rig worked on a comparative level.

But, to at the same time, I decided that I wanted to build a C3 rig with dig. So...in addition to rebuilding my 4WS rig into a new 4WS rig, I'm also building a separate C3 rig w/dig. Granted, you probably couldn't enter both into the same comp (or, is that allowed? Honestly, I don't know...if someone else knows, please post 'answer')...but, you would them have the ability to see how each does in different situations, in different terrains, etc. That way, in going to different comps, you'd have two options to select from, and could/would run whichever is better suited for that comp.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

It'll be slightly heavier, but can't you build it with both and lock out one or the other for the comp?
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
It'll be slightly heavier, but can't you build it with both and lock out one or the other for the comp?
You can't really "lock out" either...but, you can 'not use' either. Just remember, of a vehicle has both, the "judge's discretion" rule could slow a judge to not allow said vehicle. At Scale Natls, I remember seeing two trucks with 4WS, both of which competed under C2 & C3. Since I didn't go on the C2/C2 day, I don't know if they just couldn't use the rear steer while driving the C2 course, or whether they "swapped axles", as described below.

Josh (Harley Designs) was considering the possibly of doing a single rig for C2/C3, to which Matt (SBG) suggested building separate 'rear' axles - one rear (for C2), and one front (w/ AMS for C3). To switch from C2 to C3, he'd just have to swap axles.

Unfortunately, such doesn't work when talking about dig & 4WS...but, it does show how a single vehicle can be used to compete in more than one Class.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 01-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
You can't really "lock out" either...
The dig on my wraith is still locked in the forward position with a zip tie from when I put a longer motor in where the servo should be. Would take less than a minute to remove the link and add a zip tie... and vice versa.

Build a link ahead of time can go from knuckle opposite of the drag link, to the servo mount. You can't accidentally use the rear steer, but the powered servo will still keep the steering centered. I'd probably just swap a rear axle in real quick, though.

Last edited by DRED805; 01-16-2022 at 12:49 PM.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
The dig on my wraith is still locked in the forward position with a zip tie from when I put a longer motor in where the servo should be. Would take less than a minute to remove the link and add a zip tie... and vice versa.

Build a link ahead of time can go from knuckle opposite of the drag link, to the servo mount. You can't accidentally use the rear steer, but the powered servo will still keep the steering centered. I'd probably just swap a rear axle in real quick, though.
Swapping axles would be easier...and, probably, faster. Plus, with a rear axle in the rear, you KNOW your rear will be 'centered, plus it's lighter.

Getting back to the "dig vs 4WS" subject at hand, having used both, each has their benefits. As I'm still fairly new to crawlers, I'm sure those who've been crawling a lot longer then me could tell you what they are (in terms of competition).

Old 01-18-2022, 05:56 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have both on two different setups. For me without question 4ws. Dig helps you get lined up and so will 4ws but with 4ws you can also move a rear tire to get it on a different line and to shift you weight.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Rear steer FTW. Being able to lock the rear tires on a climb so the fronts can hook is nice, but with the amount of overdrive commonly seen in comp rigs these days a quick bump is more than enough to get the car up and over the climb.

Rear steer will turn tighter than a rig with dig, and the ability to steer the rear separately is way more useful on course when you need to line up on a gate. Also, depending on scrub radius you can change the balance point of the car by steering either axle which is huge when trying to settle the car on steep of off camber situations.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:08 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Its all about wheel time and getting used to whatever you wish to go with.

I have ran both, and I believe that 4WS offers the best maneuverability. But, I am horrible at controlling it, my thumbs seem to argue as to which one is doing what. Have ran dig way back in the comp-crawler MOA days, I am more used to it, and can control it a lot better, so that is what I run with on my C-3 rig.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Class 3 comp crawler... Dig or 4ws? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trail Class Bounty: No Dig or 4WS Fishmaxx Past Events 16 09-19-2014 06:00 PM
4WS Comp crawler kit recommendations? cyborgx Newbie General 4 05-16-2014 02:48 AM
Losi comp crawler , 4ws, dig unit, need a radio. foghat22 General Crawlers 10 04-03-2014 01:27 PM
Clod crawler with 4WS and F/R Dig requires 4 Channels? RB_Steve Tamiya Clod Buster 7 05-16-2008 10:32 AM