Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rod End Hitting Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2022, 06:07 AM   #21

Default Re: Rod End Hitting Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
You'll probably still need to run your existing trans spacer but using offset rod ends on the skid side of the upper links should give you some additional clearance.

I was thinking of possibly getting some angled rod ends. Gonna do a bit more fiddling today and see what I can manage. Appreciate the advice!

I just was given a 3d printer so I've been messing with that a bit. Might see if I can print some tranny spacers and possibly make an angled one. Though I'm super new to 3d printing so we'll see what I can do lol.
Death2Unicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2022, 06:46 AM   #22
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Unicorns View Post
Thank you! That helps a lot! Ok so your spacer is double the thickness of what I'm currently using. I guess I'll make a 3mm spacer and swap the upper link the the other side and see how that fares. It also looks like my motor sticks out a little farther than yours. Dang giant motor.
Your welcome!

Yeah my motor isn't quite as long. My plan is to eventually swap in a brushless motor, so I'll see how works out then.

Congrats on getting a 3D printer! Endless possibilities and a great tool to have! When I first got mine, it ran non-stop.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Your welcome!

Yeah my motor isn't quite as long. My plan is to eventually swap in a brushless motor, so I'll see how works out then.

Congrats on getting a 3D printer! Endless possibilities and a great tool to have! When I first got mine, it ran non-stop.
Thanks! Yea I've been test printing stuff all day lol. I actually printed a 3 mm tranny spacer. But now I need to go get some longer tranny mounting screws. I got 4 Plano box's full of screws for rc but I don't have any of those weird counter sink self tapper screws that are used for mounting the tranny. So hopefully I can make a trip to Menards and find something that'll work. Wish I could just use some normal counter sink 3mm screws because I got plenty of those.
Death2Unicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:24 AM   #24

I noticed my rig was getting really twitchy when I was flexing up good, and that I'd get some sparks (very shortly) and I couldn't quite tell where they were coming from.. It ends up that on full flex, my links rest RIGHT ON my motor contacts techzpod.com mobdro apk

Last edited by bariszop; 03-11-2022 at 05:39 AM.
bariszop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:58 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
hey guys, been lurking forever and finally made an account and got a membership. I'm currently building A Gspeed v3 and ran into an issue. I'm using the Vader skid, hardcore links, and an axial 3 gear tranny. My issue is the lower front left rod end is hitting the motor housing and not allowing it to sit properly. if I have it positioned properly for mounting it pushes the motor up quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before and if they had a solution. Was wondering if I should just make a transmission shim/riser. I'll add pictures to better understand what's going on. Thanks!

Attachment 398655
Attachment 398656

Team garage hack has a shim that brings up just the low side of the transmission, it should solve the clearance issue and give you better angles on the drive shafts.

https://www.teamgaragehack.com/colle...oducts/h-wedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndrewRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was thinking of possibly getting some angled rod ends. Gonna do a bit more fiddling today and see what I can manage. Appreciate the advice!

I just was given a 3d printer so I've been messing with that a bit. Might see if I can print some tranny spacers and possibly make an angled one. Though I'm super new to 3d printing so we'll see what I can do lol.
If you lift the trans and motor you change you center of gravity. If you angle you skid or use offset ends you change your suspension geometry you also lower your links. Given those choices I (myself) would choose a smaller motor.

OR

Maybe flip that link upside down? Or maybe a straight susp link. I have used high clearance links turned them sideways to clear motors.

Last edited by MOguy; 03-10-2022 at 09:14 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I'd use a single or maybe pair of washers under 1 side of the trans to raise the motor. It'll angle a bit and likely be enough.

Rotate the links so they're flat, no reason to run a bent front link at all.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I need to go get some longer tranny mounting screws. I got 4 Plano box's full of screws for rc but I don't have any of those weird counter sink self tapper screws that are used for mounting the tranny.

You can get away with using a standard M3 screw in place of the odd sheet metal/wood screws Axial uses. It will cut new threads but I havent had any issues switching to regular M3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRC View Post
Team garage hack has a shim that brings up just the low side of the transmission, it should solve the clearance issue and give you better angles on the drive shafts.
This is a great example of a super easy to design part you could 3D print

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-10-2022 at 04:19 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

This is a great example of a super easy to design part you could 3D print[/QUOTE]

I don’t have a 3d printer and not sure if or when I will get one. I am fabing up a cheater bed for my portal build though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndrewRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Rod End Hitting Motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tie rod hitting servo arm meadus11 Vaterra Ascender 4 05-29-2020 07:31 AM
rod end threads............ bob1961 Newbie General 12 11-25-2008 06:01 PM
Can you name this rod end?? peej410 General Crawlers 5 04-09-2006 12:10 PM
Rod End Help onefstsnake General Crawlers 21 08-26-2005 11:15 AM