Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rod End Hitting Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #1

Default Rod End Hitting Motor

hey guys, been lurking forever and finally made an account and got a membership. I'm currently building A Gspeed v3 and ran into an issue. I'm using the Vader skid, hardcore links, and an axial 3 gear tranny. My issue is the lower front left rod end is hitting the motor housing and not allowing it to sit properly. if I have it positioned properly for mounting it pushes the motor up quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before and if they had a solution. Was wondering if I should just make a transmission shim/riser. I'll add pictures to better understand what's going on. Thanks!

Name:  20220122_070609[401].jpg
Views: 486
Size:  141.7 KB
Name:  20220122_071130[402].jpg
Views: 490
Size:  149.5 KB
Death2Unicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rod End Hitting Motor

A shim or spacer for the trans would probably be the easiest solution

Just out of curiosity, what pinion and spur are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:57 AM   #3

Ok thanks! I'll try that. Think I got a few different thickness sheets of aluminum and steel I could cut one out of. Also got some sheets of kydex I could try. Right now I'm running the stock 56T spur and a 13T pinion. I had a 15T pinion on but swapped it to see if I'd get a little more clearence with the motor.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I ran into the same problem when I put a long ass motor in my wraith. Just made a little shim out of scrap aluminum to space it up a bit.
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:03 PM   #5

Appreciate the help guys! Ended up making a 1.5mm shim and that gave me more than enough clearance.
Name:  Snapchat-30304221.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  93.9 KB
Old 01-25-2022, 04:41 AM   #6

Well my 1.5mm spacer was enough to clear the motor but not enough to allow for any suspension flex. I get like 15% of shock travel before the front left lower link hits the motor. So I'm back to square one. Not sure if I should just make a much taller tranny spacer or what. If I go much higher my incision driveshafts are gonna separate lol. Also contemplating just getting a Holmes stubby motor or a revolver. Another thought I had was getting some of the angled rod end and have it angled down so the link sits lower. But then the rod end and link are gonna be lower than the bottom of my skid plate. Any ideas or advice would be highly appreciated!!! I'll attach some pics. One is a crappy pic of the link hitting the motor and the other is showing the minuscule amount of suspension travel I get when the link hits. Thanks.
Name:  Snapchat-1480787626.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  Snapchat-1535355001.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  61.7 KB
Old 01-25-2022, 04:59 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

My first step would to do some test fitting to see how much room you need for the suspension to fully clear and cycle. Until you know how much space you need it's just a guessing game.

If you are concerned about raising the trans, you could try a wedge spacer to raise the motor without going any higher on your output.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:45 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Why lift the motor and trans and raise your CG? I know it is not much.

If you used a straight upper susp link would it clear?

Last edited by MOguy; 01-25-2022 at 06:02 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Default Rod End Hitting Motor

Have you considered rotating the skid and trans, so the motor faces the other direction?

Otherwise you can mount the upper link to the other side, but looks like you may still have contact with the lower link.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Why lift the motor and trans and raise your CG? I know it is not much.

If you used a straight upper susp link would it clear?
Ideally I don't want to raise the motor and trans but I wasn't sure what other options I had. The upper link clears it just fine it's just the lower link that hits. Also before I even had the axles mounted the motor was hitting just the rod end itself. There's just barely any clearance between the motor case and the skid plate.

Last edited by Death2Unicorns; 01-25-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Have you considered rotating the skid and trans, so the motor faces the other direction?

Otherwise you can mount the upper link to the other side, but looks like you may still have contact with the lower link.

I was thinking of flipping the skid and tranny but Im pretty sure the motor would hit the rear upper links and mounting hardware. But yea the upper link doesn't interfere, just the lower link.

This is my first "custom" build, as in not an out of the box kit. So I'm not super savvy on any tricks and things to look out for. But after assembling the chassis and getting to where I just need to swap my electronics over this is the only issue I've ran into. It seems weird I couldn't really find anyone else having this issue. It seems the majority of gspeed v3 builds I see are running high clearance links. Guess maybe all the other builds are just using different transmissions, motors, or motor mounts and I'm one of the few running the stock tranny. Only reason I used the stock 3 gear is I had just put in vanquish gears and top shaft.

Last edited by Death2Unicorns; 01-25-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

First of all, welcome to RCC and becoming a member.

On my GSpeed V3 build, I am running a VP 3-gear trans and Intheworks high clearance links and I do not have this problem. I am using the stock VS4-10 trans shim under the trans to lift up the trans.

I'll try to get some pics of mine when I get home from work today to show you my setup.

For now if you want to see how my G-rig went together, check it out here: B-MOW's GSPEED TGH-V3 LCG Chassis Build
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
First of all, welcome to RCC and becoming a member.

On my GSpeed V3 build, I am running a VP 3-gear trans and Intheworks high clearance links and I do not have this problem. I am using the stock VS4-10 trans shim under the trans to lift up the trans.

I'll try to get some pics of mine when I get home from work today to show you my setup.

For now if you want to see how my G-rig went together, check it out here: B-MOW's GSPEED TGH-V3 LCG Chassis Build
Thanks for the welcome I appreciate it! Ok so you have a very similar setup than. You just got the better version of the transmission and in the works links instead of hardcore rc links. So it seems like I just might have too thin of a trans shim. Do you know the thickness of the vanquish shim your using? I can look it up and see if I can figure it out too. Some pics would be awesome! I'd be very grateful. I'll definitely check out your build. I may have actually glanced at it before because I recognize seeing your name lol
Old 01-25-2022, 10:36 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Definitely nothing wrong with using that transmission. I set up two v3 chassis using the enduro trans, but I believe it sits higher off the skid plate than the axial 3 gear, so likely why I didn’t run into this issue.

These are fun projects, but there are so many variables depending on parts used, that it can take some time to iron everything out.

Also, a lot of people use stubby length motors I feel like, so that helps certain clearance issues.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Definitely nothing wrong with using that transmission. I set up two v3 chassis using the enduro trans, but I believe it sits higher off the skid plate than the axial 3 gear, so likely why I didn’t run into this issue.

These are fun projects, but there are so many variables depending on parts used, that it can take some time to iron everything out.

Also, a lot of people use stubby length motors I feel like, so that helps certain clearance issues.

Yea the only other trans I have is the big ass kit trans, and I like the original 3 gear better. I've heard good things about those stealth trans.

Yea I wanted something to tinker with more. The building for me is a lot of the fun. I think I have just as much fun working on them as I do driving them lol.

Yea I had this older puller pro on hand so figured I'd try it. But it is a pretty big motor. I was debating on getting a different motor and ESC since this motor is 3500kv and the ESC is an older HH trail master BLE pro. I guess if I can't make this motor work I'll look into some different electronics.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

Ok, the VP stock plastic trans shim is just under 3mm at 2.97mm according to my cheapy calipers.

Kinda hard to get good pics, so here’s what I was able to get. All links clear at full compression. Note that my front top link is on the driveshaft/passenger side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:34 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I'd have a hard time spending $38 on a skid, but I think this would solve your problem... tilts the trans 6* back (opposite the angle of the gspeed rails), which would lift the motor off that front link.

https://www.fishscrawlerparts.com/st...Chassis.html#/
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:41 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

You'll probably still need to run your existing trans spacer but using offset rod ends on the skid side of the upper links should give you some additional clearance.

Last edited by boldfin; 01-25-2022 at 07:44 PM.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Ok, the VP stock plastic trans shim is just under 3mm at 2.97mm according to my cheapy calipers.

Kinda hard to get good pics, so here’s what I was able to get. All links clear at full compression. Note that my front top link is on the driveshaft/passenger side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! That helps a lot! Ok so your spacer is double the thickness of what I'm currently using. I guess I'll make a 3mm spacer and swap the upper link the the other side and see how that fares. It also looks like my motor sticks out a little farther than yours. Dang giant motor.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I'd have a hard time spending $38 on a skid, but I think this would solve your problem... tilts the trans 6* back (opposite the angle of the gspeed rails), which would lift the motor off that front link.

https://www.fishscrawlerparts.com/st...Chassis.html#/
That would definitely give me the clearance I need! If I can't get clearence with a thicker shim I may look into that skid. Guess it's cheaper than buying a smaller new motor lol. Appreciate the link!

Rod End Hitting Motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tie rod hitting servo arm meadus11 Vaterra Ascender 4 05-29-2020 07:31 AM
rod end threads............ bob1961 Newbie General 12 11-25-2008 06:01 PM
Can you name this rod end?? peej410 General Crawlers 5 04-09-2006 12:10 PM
Rod End Help onefstsnake General Crawlers 21 08-26-2005 11:15 AM