Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Too late to build a Tamiya High Lift?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2022, 06:06 PM   #1

Default Too late to build a Tamiya High Lift?

Ever since Tamiya released the High Lift crawlers, it was always my dream as a teenager to build a F350. If I remember right it was released in 2006 and now its 2022!

My question is: Is it still practical? I've heard they've been discontinued and they certainly are getting rare. I wash hoping to find a kit as well as the Multifunction unit. Im wondering if the logistics are still even possible.

There are many other motors, and lighting kits or even other crawlers that are both better and cheaper but is it still practical to pull this off?

Challenges so far:
1) Finding the Multi Function Kit (MFC-02)
2) Making sure the kit is the right variant (I believe there were 2)
3) Finding a transmitter that will still pair to the MFC-02 and use all functions
4) Finding replacement parts if something should be missing or beak (would be a Carpet Queen)

Let me know your thoughts guys!
Freerme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
psn
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Too late to build a Tamiya High Lift?

They were designed before 2.4ghz took over so any good used FM system will work it. Any NIB/NOS kits and or unique parts will be probably be priced to the moon now. Why not build a nice modern, more capable scaler kit for less?

Last edited by psn; 01-24-2022 at 02:55 PM.
psn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd say find the body parts and build on a modern rig. I used the cab in a couple builds a long time ago. The high lift truck itself isn't something that ever did anything well other than a bit of bashing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Highlifts were terrible, and expensive. I received 2 in trade years ago and managed to break both, before I repaired them and traded them off when I realized how bad they were. But I do like to drive mine on the trail.

If you drive a Highlift on anything other than smooth flat surfaces, you will break parts, carpet included.

I agree, buy the body of choice, if you can find one then mount it on a builder's kit of choice. Axial raw builders kit, or element, would both be good choices and give you several hundred dollars in savings. Plus, you will have a better performing rig with much more durability.

Mfu is also outdated and expensive. there are much cheaper and fuctional sound units, and light kits...

Then that last issue, finding parts. There are aluminum upgrade options, but they are made by overseas companies and the quality can be iffy at best.

Oh Trail King kit is amazing btw
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The Chinese knockoff version (HG P410) of the lit is readily available for under $400 CAD. I believe they sell the body as well.

The original Tamiya kits (58372 is the F350) are easy to come by here in Toronto at at a couple of local hobby shops - $449.80 CAD at Advance hobbies, they have the mfc-02 as well but no price on the website.

I bought a Supercab version of the body and drop bed from loopsrc on eBay. Basically a remolded version of the Tamiya body but not a single cab, and with a full depthbed.mounting it on an scx10ii frame and axles. I drive a 99 F250 Supercab Lariat 7.3 irl so a single cab didn't fit the bill for me.

Still plenty of parts available on eBay if you go the kit route. But if you don't mind a bit of work get the body and put it on a better frame, with a seperate light and sound unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerme7 View Post
Ever since Tamiya released the High Lift crawlers, it was always my dream as a teenager to build a F350. If I remember right it was released in 2006 and now its 2022!

My question is: Is it still practical? I've heard they've been discontinued and they certainly are getting rare. I wash hoping to find a kit as well as the Multifunction unit. Im wondering if the logistics are still even possible.

There are many other motors, and lighting kits or even other crawlers that are both better and cheaper but is it still practical to pull this off?

Challenges so far:
1) Finding the Multi Function Kit (MFC-02)
2) Making sure the kit is the right variant (I believe there were 2)
3) Finding a transmitter that will still pair to the MFC-02 and use all functions
4) Finding replacement parts if something should be missing or beak (would be a Carpet Queen)

Let me know your thoughts guys!
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote

Too late to build a Tamiya High Lift? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-350 High-Lift Ultimate Build Contest BY TAMIYA ddiaz10240 Chit Chat 7 01-13-2007 09:03 PM