Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: shock and chassis help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2022, 08:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default shock and chassis help

looking for shocks for this rig will be running in droop setup to get as low as i can ( its taller then i want in these pics) looking for a 100-120mm shock (105 is scale for whats on my 1:1 rig) id love a resivor shock just like these but rc run turned out to be crap and broke carrying the rig. so debating on the proline scaler 105mm shock

up next im over the no link mounting options on this chassis i have started to design my own flat rail chassis because i want to keep a flat bed and cant find one thats flat in that area to do what id like also used a calculator to make the perfect rear chassis setup i just need to get started on the front

wheel base will be 14-14.5 inches its currently at 14.5 but in 1:9.3 scale a 131in( 80s chevy long box) wheel base is 14in ( rc4wd blazer body is 1:9.35 scale compairing its wheel base to a blazer)

how wide should frame rails be? ill be designing and building everything just not sure what to do for that. also gunna be lowering my motor trans as much as possible

chassis
chevy1
chevy2
chevy3
rc-chassis-perfect-crawler-rear-setup
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: shock and chassis help

I'd like to both strongly recommend against ProLine, and strongly suggest Yeah Racing Desert Lizards. I think I'm up to 5 or 6 rigs on Desert Lizards, and have absolutely no complaints about them. You can get them in 110mm, and how you set up the dual internals springs can easily shorten the overall length to 105mm.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I'd like to both strongly recommend against ProLine, and strongly suggest Yeah Racing Desert Lizards. I think I'm up to 5 or 6 rigs on Desert Lizards, and have absolutely no complaints about them. You can get them in 110mm, and how you set up the dual internals springs can easily shorten the overall length to 105mm.
my only problem with the desert lizards shocks is the look of them this is a scaler of my full size crawler and id atleast like them to some what resemble my king coilovers that are going on it. otherwise i have a few sets of them already and ill agree they are great shocks but

is there a reason for not liking the prolines?

for specs im liking the powerstroke xt on the rear and regular powerstroke on the front doing some line drawing on fusion they come out at somthing that measures up good

Last edited by ben h; 01-31-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

made some progress on the chassis design just gotta send the file off to a buddy to get it to cut out.
i did order the proline powerstroke 5in for rear and 102mm for the fronts
could finish the skid but not sure on the bolt pattern on the TGH OG gear box

debating on making body mounts out of metal or to print them

then redesign the bed after i know were the body is gunna mount!

chevy-frame-pic
Old 01-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben h View Post
made some progress on the chassis design just gotta send the file off to a buddy to get it to cut out.
i did order the proline powerstroke 5in for rear and 102mm for the fronts
could finish the skid but not sure on the bolt pattern on the TGH OG gear box

debating on making body mounts out of metal or to print them

then redesign the bed after i know were the body is gunna mount!
I would suggest printing the body mounts, or use nylon body posts until you have everything sorted.
Metal will typically bend and not go back to where it needs to be, really annoying when you are trying to mount the body back up after a crash.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I would suggest printing the body mounts, or use nylon body posts until you have everything sorted.
Metal will typically bend and not go back to where it needs to be, really annoying when you are trying to mount the body back up after a crash.
not using regular body mounts i have the frame mounted ones that hold under the cab i have broken a few sets of these currently so not sure if its because of them that my body has been saved. probly will get on designing a set just like this i guess lol can make electronic mounts in them also then i guess

https://www.myminifactory.com/object...il-king-118970
Old 02-01-2022, 05:26 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
not using regular body mounts i have the frame mounted ones that hold under the cab i have broken a few sets of these currently so not sure if its because of them that my body has been saved. probly will get on designing a set just like this i guess lol can make electronic mounts in them also then i guess

https://www.myminifactory.com/object...il-king-118970
Those body mounts/skids will snag everything, they are probably taken a beating and that is why you break them.

Get something smooth that slips across the rocks instead of catching on them. I see 3D printed skids break and people dragging their electronics. I was using metal skids (max out points for C1) to hold my body and electronics and they can take the beating, they are just heavy. I wish I had a good answer, but I am still looking. Right now I am using a chunk of an element skid filed down smooth and just big enough to hold my ESC but I am using a lexan body right now with mounting posts. I would like to find a decent skid that is smooth, light, will hold my body and electronics and take a beating.

As far as droop? When you say as low as you can do you mean allowing to drop the axle as far from the chassis as possible or allow the chassis to get as low as possible when the suspension cycles. Are you saying droop to mean down travel or a way to tune your shocks?

Last edited by MOguy; 02-01-2022 at 05:44 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Those body mounts/skids will snag everything, they are probably taken a beating and that is why you break them.

Get something smooth that slips across the rocks instead of catching on them. I see 3D printed skids break and people dragging their electronics. I was using metal skids (max out points for C1) to hold my body and electronics and they can take the beating, they are just heavy. I wish I had a good answer, but I am still looking. Right now I am using a chunk of an element skid filed down smooth and just big enough to hold my ESC but I am using a lexan body right now with mounting posts. I would like to find a decent skid that is smooth, light, will hold my body and electronics and take a beating.

As far as droop? When you say as low as you can do you mean allowing to drop the axle as far from the chassis as possible or allow the chassis to get as low as possible when the suspension cycles. Are you saying droop to mean down travel or a way to tune your shocks?
yea i might just order some titanium rod and flat stock and make some out of metal. your right they do catch and not allow it to slide. good point in not printing another set.

truck will be in a droop setup so will have lots of downtravel just little up travel. it sat quite high in the pics above but didnt have good shocks to really tune it so this time i will make it sit were i want to
Old 02-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yea i might just order some titanium rod and flat stock and make some out of metal. your right they do catch and not allow it to slide. good point in not printing another set.

truck will be in a droop setup so will have lots of downtravel just little up travel. it sat quite high in the pics above but didnt have good shocks to really tune it so this time i will make it sit were i want to
I like more up travel than down put if you want down travel mount the top of your shock to the chassis. Mount it so the shock leans towards the center.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

shock and chassis help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Brazin chassis shock set up twisted Axial SCX-10 7 01-16-2017 03:47 AM
Shock tower to shock tower carbon fiber chassis brace Crazykev Axial Yeti 0 04-23-2016 12:48 AM
Chaotic crawler lw chassis shock help XJkid93 Axial XR10 10 04-21-2012 08:27 PM
chassis and shock combo's non ya Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 12-04-2008 09:23 PM
Juggernaut shock on CR-01 chassis Spec-R Tamiya CR-01 4 09-24-2008 08:36 AM