Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I can't be the only one...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2022, 10:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I can't be the only one...

I can't be the only one who would have a load more cars if they just came in kit form?

SCX6, DBXL-E, SBR2.0, UDR would all be in my garage if they came in kit form... I just can't get on board with the "open the box and there it is... ready to go" thing. I want to build it from the ground up, so I can make minor changes, add my own "flair" - not to mention get to choose my own electronics and paint scheme.

Anyone else think they would have more vehicles if they were offered in kit form?
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: I can't be the only one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
I can't be the only one who would have a load more cars if they just came in kit form?

SCX6, DBXL-E, SBR2.0, UDR would all be in my garage if they came in kit form... I just can't get on board with the "open the box and there it is... ready to go" thing. I want to build it from the ground up, so I can make minor changes, add my own "flair" - not to mention get to choose my own electronics and paint scheme.

Anyone else think they would have more vehicles if they were offered in kit form?
You're most certainly not.

I don't even want to think about the number of TRX6s I'd own if I could get them in kit form. All different from each other in body, suspension setup, driving purpose.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Im fairly new to rc, but i agree 100%! My son and i had a blast putting together the capra kit and the little wpl yota kit as well.
islandlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

As I have said many times before, I don't know which I enjoy more - running My RCs, or building them. Case in point: I'm currently living out of a hotel, driving nurses (I'm a Professional Chauffeur) for FEMA, and I will be where I am for approximately 5 weeks (possibly longer).

As I drove into Fresno (the court I'm 'stationed' in) approx 1.5 weeks ago, I stopped by the LHS, and picked up an Element Enduro Gatekeeper kit...just so I could have something to do during my free time other than just watching movies on the TV. Sure, I could have easily built the kit in less than 2 days...but, I purposely dragged the build out for over a week (and, truthfully, it's not entirely finished yet).

Now that the GateKeeper is nearing completion, and wanting "something else" to keep me busy, I contacted the owner of my home LHS (who, as chance has it, also owns the hobby shop in Fresno), purchased another kit (Associated RC10B74.1 Team Edition), asking if he could drop it off at the Fresno store when he made his next trip down this way (which happened to be today...but, I can't pick it up until tomorrow, as I was working when he dropped it off).

That's 2 kits (and electronics), just to give me "something to do" in-between my shifts of driving the nurses.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Completely agree, I've had 100+ crawlers as it is, but I'd still have had a lot more if they came in kit form.
SCX6 in kit form still may happen since it's still relatively fresh.
Would like the see the Knightrunner in kit form as well.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:07 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You aren't the only one, but you are definitely in a small minority. Kits aren't available much because they don't sell well.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
You aren't the only one, but you are definitely in a small minority. Kits aren't available much because they don't sell well.
That depends on your area. Where you are, kits might not sell as well...but, in other areas, kits might be outselling RTRs by a considerable margin. As I mentioned (above), the owner of my primary LHS also owns a shop 3.5 hours away. In that other shop, 99+% of the RC inventory is RTRs, because that's what sells in that area.

However, at his other shop (my primary LHS, which I mention that way because there are also two other RC shops in the same city), kit & RTR sales are a lot closely matched. Of course, to this is probably due to the number of competitive classes were race (outdoor on-road on asphalt, as well as indoor off-road on carpet).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 02-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
That depends on your area. Where you are, kits might not sell as well...but, in other areas, kits might be outselling RTRs by a considerable margin. As I mentioned (above), the owner of my primary LHS also owns a shop 3.5 hours away. In that other shop, 99+% of the RC inventory is RTRs, because that's what sells in that area.

However, at his other shop (my primary LHS, which I mention that way because there are also two other RC shops in the same city), kit & RTR sales are a lot closely matched. Of course, to this is probably due to the number of competitive classes were race (outdoor on-road on asphalt, as well as indoor off-road on carpet).
Rich from Horizon has specifically said that there aren't more kits because they don't sell well. RC companies didn't just arbitrarily decide to start focusing on RTRs over kits.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:06 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

I've always liked buying kits and building them the way I'd want them built. Here recently, the last few rigs that I have purchased have been RTR's. Mainly because they do not come in kit form. Since they are RTR, the first thing I do once they are removed from the box is do a complete tear down. Then rebuild them with the proper amount of grease in the trans and axles and make sure the rig is built the way I want it.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Rich from Horizon has specifically said that there aren't more kits because they don't sell well. RC companies didn't just arbitrarily decide to start focusing on RTRs over kits.
It could also be that kits don't sell well because there aren't many available, and people can't buy what isn't for sale. I'm sure that kits sell less than RTR's because RTR's are appealing to a bigger audience.

IMO, it's one of the downsides to the "Traxxas Effect" - Traxxas did wonders for the hobby by getting people into hobby grade RTRs that otherwise may not have been interested, but other companies see their success and think "they really only sell RTR's, we should do that too."

People into the hobby will still for the most part buy RTRs (seems those that don't like me and some of the other folks in this thread are the exception.) so the theory seems to play out and they do more of the same.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:41 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I've always liked buying kits and building them the way I'd want them built. Here recently, the last few rigs that I have purchased have been RTR's. Mainly because they do not come in kit form. Since they are RTR, the first thing I do once they are removed from the box is do a complete tear down. Then rebuild them with the proper amount of grease in the trans and axles and make sure the rig is built the way I want it.
This will likely be the way i do the next rig. Or a scratch build maybe. Just seems so silly to buy the rtr, and bin all the stock electronics right off the bat. Not to mention the extra rx/tx if your already running a multi model radio
islandlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
This will likely be the way i do the next rig. Or a scratch build maybe. Just seems so silly to buy the rtr, and bin all the stock electronics right off the bat. Not to mention the extra rx/tx if your already running a multi model radio
Yeah, that's a big deal for me too - most likely I'm just going to throw the electronics in a box somewhere to rot. I can't stand the hassle of listing the electrics online for sale etc.

I guess sliders/roller options would be the next best option but that seems like it's only really offered in the race vehicles these days.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
To be fair, any time I buy and gut an RTR to install better electronics, I end up installing the original kit in (usually) a scrap built rig that probably won't see much, or harsh, run time and so doesn't require high end electronics.

The original kit from my TRX6 went into a custom monster, dirt/mud truck thing I built for my dad. I know he want abuse it, or probably drive it as much as I drive my rigs so the Traxxas kit should be sufficient.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Default I can't be the only one...

The only thing that appeals to me about an RTR is a pre-painted lexan body. Every body I’ve painted has turned out rather ugly and/or chips on the first few runs. This is why the only bodies I paint now are hardbodies. Heck, I’ve painted hardbodies for other people because they don’t want to, and I’ve paid one guy a couple times to paint a lexan. Hardbodies are fun to me.

Anyway, I also do kind of like having an extra transmitter on hand for a future build because I don’t run a multi-rig transmitter. It’s never worked/appealed to me, especially when running with other people driving my other trucks.

On the other hand, if the SCX6 was a kit, it would be on my bench right now. I love the idea of this enormous Jeep crawling on boulders I never dream of climbing with my other trucks, but I want to be able to build it my way how I like it.

I definitely wish more trucks were offered in kit form, like the TF2 Marlin. I don’t want to buy a TF2 kit then have to pay extra to get all the Marlin goodies. Give me one with all that stuff already. Same for the TRX6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 02-10-2022 at 09:37 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:07 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Mfrs. are going to keep forcing RTRs on us because they can charge an extra $100 for $10 worth of electronics. It's literally the reason I don't own a TRX-6. I thought I had sworn off of RTRs, but as others have mentioned, it's the only way to get some rigs-- most recently notable the Ecto, which absolutely should have been offered as at least one level of kit. If the Ecto had been sold as a $399 Factory Team Kit (with all the gubbins) instead of a $399 RTR, I would gladly have paid it. I'd probably own two.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Guess I'm the odd ball here. I don't mind RTRs. I get to run it as soon as I open the box and upgrade as I see fit. It also allows me to enjoy the RC and stretch out the cost of upgrading it. I run the stock electronics until they stop working, which is usually quite a long time. With the exception to motors, I change those to HH motors pretty quick, and Servos. I've used some RTR servos and ESC for Tamiya Kits, so spare electronics are a plus for me regarding the RTRs.

With that being said One 10.2 and my Gen8 I tore apart and rebuilt before even putting a battery in, so I guess those would've been better off as kits. The 10.2 was the Ford on sale. Neither RC don't come in a kit though, which aligns with others points.
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
If the Ecto had been sold as a $399 Factory Team Kit (with all the gubbins) instead of a $399 RTR, I would gladly have paid it. I'd probably own two.
You do know you could buy the Element Enduro Gatekeeper Builder's Kit (which is, essentially, identical to the Ecto), and the Ecto body, and built yourself an Ecto. The kit even includes a few of the upgrades available for the Ecto, but not included on the Ecto.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #18
Slow is the new Fast

I would own a Lasernut, a TRX6, another Wraith and would likely pick up a 4ws Capra if they were kits. I very rarely pick up RTR vehicles. The last one I bought was when Element was blowing out the Trailwalker. It was so well priced that it was well worth it.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
You do know you could buy the Element Enduro Gatekeeper Builder's Kit (which is, essentially, identical to the Ecto), and the Ecto body, and built yourself an Ecto. The kit even includes a few of the upgrades available for the Ecto, but not included on the Ecto.

That’s a good point. In fact, I think the GK kits are only $239 right now.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
That’s a good point. In fact, I think the GK kits are only $239 right now.

That is correct. Unfortunately (for me), I bought my kit the day before or went on sale...but, since I bought it from the LHS, thus I'm supporting "locally", I didn't mind.