Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Small compact 2wd/4wd Neutral/Drive "dig" unit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Small compact 2wd/4wd Neutral/Drive "dig" unit?

Sorry for the bad wording, but does anybody know of a small "transfer case" that lets you toggle between connected and neutral?

Something that goes between a transmission, driveshaft and a diff,

So in the "locked"setting, the transmission sends power to the driveshaft, to the "unit", to the other driveshaft and to the axle.

And in the "neutral" setting, the "unit" stops power from going to the axle and leaves the front axle freewheeling

Power transmission In "locked" position
Transmission---->Unit---->Axle

Power transmission in "neutral" position
Transmission>Unit-----X-----Axle

I'm using it for a custom 2wd/4wd setup. The transmission is a RC4WD AX2. unfortunately, something like the SSD locking hubs wont work, as I'm using a custom mounted Slash 4x4 front IFS, and not a normal crawler axle.

Thanks!`

Edit: If it makes things more clear, I'm trying to find something that will let me toggle between having power being sent to the front axle.

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 02-16-2022 at 07:54 PM.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Small compact 2wd/4wd Neutral/Drive "dig" unit?

axial 3 speed with a dig unit turned around. guys are doing it on the cen f450
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Phoenix transmission is the only one I know of that actually accomplishes all that aside from the compact part of it.

Aside from a transfer case I assume you'll run something like a TGH forward motor mount? Whats the plan there?

You may be able to pair down the Phoenix transmission into just a transfer case if you are into experimenting. That actually sounds like a fun project.

EDIT: oops I see you dont need dig in addition to selectable 4WD, ben h has the right idea.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-16-2022 at 08:12 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Small compact 2wd/4wd Neutral/Drive "dig" unit?

Thank you for the replies,

I probably should have included a photo, but I already have a main transmission.

I need something very small to fit between the transmission and the front diff where the current driveshaft is. The original idea for a selectable 2wd/4wd was to have a needle roller bearing that would move the little piece of driveshaft that shifts from front to back, but I learned the hard way that roller bearings are not made to take ANY horizontal stresses.

The closest thing I've found is the boom racing transfer case, but it's meant to be an actual transfer case that's meant to have the power be fed from the motor input shaft.

https://www.boomracingrc.com/swd-tra...ase-kit-192012
There is a chance that it might work with the input going in to one of the output shafts, but I'm not sure.

If I have to go with shifting it manually, well there's no way to get around that, but hopefully I can figure out a way to make it servo powered.

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 02-16-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Maybe not the way the OP wants to go, but a simple 3-gear dig gearbox (namely the Que-T from Amazon) flipped round forward, with the "dig" locking dog left out. So in "normal," the driveshaft would be fully engaged and you'd have 4WD, but in "dig," the front driveshaft would be disengaged and just free-spinning. I realize this does nothing to address the 2-speed. I know Cross makes a transfer case with dig in it, but Cross parts support is non-existent domestically, and I don't actually know if they even sell it separately.

Hot Racing makes a 3-position dig unit for the Wraith gearbox, and that trans looks really similar to the AX2, but I don't know enough about 'em to say if they're the same. Worth a look, I think.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Maybe not the way the OP wants to go, but a simple 3-gear dig gearbox (namely the Que-T from Amazon) flipped round forward, with the "dig" locking dog left out. So in "normal," the driveshaft would be fully engaged and you'd have 4WD, but in "dig," the front driveshaft would be disengaged and just free-spinning. I realize this does nothing to address the 2-speed. I know Cross makes a transfer case with dig in it, but Cross parts support is non-existent domestically, and I don't actually know if they even sell it separately.

Hot Racing makes a 3-position dig unit for the Wraith gearbox, and that trans looks really similar to the AX2, but I don't know enough about 'em to say if they're the same. Worth a look, I think.
Thanks for the reply,

I checked out the gearbox on amazon, and I think it would work, only its much too big to fit in a space that small.

I think the boom racing transfer case may work when powered from one output, but the two outputs are offset.

I may just end up doing a manual toggle, but if anybody has an idea that would remotely work, please post it!
Old 02-16-2022, 11:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I've seen VFD twin transmissions for as low as $120 on Facebook. Removing the top shaft and replacing it with Axial part #AXI31410 will turn it into a transfer case.

I have 2 of those transmissions so far, because of the 2wd option. I'll be getting a third to use as a transfer case with a forward motor mount in a wraith/bomber based truck. Just waiting for the phoenix trucks to finally come back in stock.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Losi comp crawler transmission can be molded to 4wd, fwd, rwd.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Hey TITANIUM94010 I would suggest you consider starting with the Transfer case/transmission that meets your requirements then figure out what transmission would work for it (if needed). You're shooting down just about every option you have because of your transmission. I just dont see anything fitting in the space you want it to (if you keep the AX2).
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Small compact 2wd/4wd Neutral/Drive "dig" unit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing WP 1080 Discovery - 11 "Neutral Range'" Purpose! Stomp Electronics 9 11-17-2020 03:49 PM
What is a "dig" unit? edelsite Venom Creeper 8 05-17-2015 03:44 AM
DIG unit to go from 2wd to 4wd? milestone Newbie General 3 01-11-2013 05:45 PM