Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking to get a MOA and a Trail rig!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2022, 09:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Looking to get a MOA and a Trail rig!

I've been out of the hobby for 10 years but I've decided to aggressively get back into it lol. I’m looking to get back into MOA and get a trail rig so this will be a fun thread! I think it's easier if I just dump both items into one thread because I have some of my equipment listed so maybe I can get my current equipment to work with new stuff.

MOA
I used to love the MOA scene back when it was pretty big but I know since then it's really died off. I'd really love to get back into MOA and I need some advice on that. Also, I want to have a nice trail rig. Something I can just take around on the trail, get wet, get some mud on it, and just have some fun.

I have an old Axial XR10 that I decided to dig up and restore a little bit. To be honest it doesn't seem that impressive to me. Maybe that's because the way that I have built it, maybe my custom chassis is no good, or maybe my old tires just lost their effectiveness.

Nevertheless, I wanted to see if there's any new really good MOA's out there. I know RC4WD has the Bully 2 which is seemingly really good. But I wanted to see if there was anything else out there that is better? I'm willing to build my own from the ground up if I have to. I also can put some more work into my XR10 if people think it's still really good / capable. I just don't want to invest in a platform that's discontinued because if gears break (which the rear ones are prone to do), they're hard to come by.

If I do decide to build a new one, I can carry over my dual Tekin FXR's, hacked FlySky GT3B, and my 35t motors, unless if there's a lot of equipment out there worth investing in vs. what I currently have.

So what should I do with the MOA side of the house? Buy a Bully 2? Build my own from the ground up? Restore my XR10? Let me know!

Trail
I think it would be a lot of fun to have a trail rig because I love the outdoors and hiking on trails. I'm looking for something that's waterproof, really really capable, can crawl, but also has a little bit of speed. I think the Axial Wraith is cool, the SCX10 looks dope, and the SCX6 looks sick as well. I’m open to anything as long as it’s a good, quality rig, that can do a lot, that fits what I’m looking for. Budget doesn’t really matter, I’m just looking to have some fun!
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking to get a MOA and a Trail rig!

I cannot answer anything in regard to the MOA.

However, I do trail!

No rig is bullet proof, except maybe a Vanquish Vs410, but I don't have one and cannot comment on how they drive.

I think you may want to stick with bigger tires, so I am suggesting most of Axial tube buggy line. The Bomber is basically an updated more modern Wraith (same axles).

All Axial rigs will need upgrades as most were not built for Brushless power or had compromises in their design.

I love my wraith; however, I had to bin the stock electronics and went with a mild Brushless system (1900kv Copperhead combo) A Savox 1210 servo and a fresh body. The Wraith is by far my most capable scale crawler/trail rig.
Been Waiting a Long Time

I also own a highly modified RYFT. It is rather insane and capable after the mods. It is fully locked (stock is 3x open diffs) and I added a swaybar and Trailing arm stiffeners. I also lowered the front suspension just over 1/2 an inch. She sits low and climbs like a homesick angel. The stock electronics are not for crawling, though I did fairly well in a rock racing comp last fall.
RBX10, RYFT, Scale Rock Bouncer

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

For a trail rig, snag a Vanquish Phoenix if you can find one right now. you could also go with a Element kit or, a SSD Trail King kit if you want to build your rig more custom. I know nothing about MOA stuff.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I think you may want to stick with bigger tires, so I am suggesting most of Axial tube buggy line. The Bomber is basically an updated more modern Wraith (same axles).

All Axial rigs will need upgrades as most were not built for Brushless power or had compromises in their design.
I do think I’d like 2.2” tires as it seems to be a lot more capable. I’ve looked at the Bomber, but it doesn’t seem that capable with crawling so that makes me hesitant.

I don’t think I’d like the Ryft because it seems to be a little too “all over the place” stability-wise. I’m sure it’s fun, but just sheer speed isn’t what I’m after. I’d like a blend of a little speed but with crawling as well. Is the Wraith Spawn a good one to get? You mentioned that the stock Axial gearing isn’t too strong, that’s one of the complaints I had about my MOA XR10 was that the gears are bad/weak. I’m not interested in replicating that issue again. So is the drivetrain good on the Wraith Spawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
For a trail rig, snag a Vanquish Phoenix if you can find one right now. you could also go with a Element kit or, a SSD Trail King kit if you want to build your rig more custom. I know nothing about MOA stuff.
I’ll check out the Element kit and SSD Trail King kit. How do those stack up against the Wraith Spawn Crawling-wise? Can I put 2.2”s on these kits?

Also, what do we think about the SCX6? It seems like it’s quite awesome, but is it overpriced? Do you think it will come down or stay put? I love how capable and fast it is, I’m just not sure it’s worth $1100 + batteries.

Last edited by Krawler23; 02-20-2022 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:29 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The Wraith Spawn comes with plastic gears inside the case, but the aftermarket has that covered. You can rebuild a Wraith from aftermarket 5x with only aftermarket gear and never have to reuse another company's part.

SSD Trail King on left, Wraith based Scale rig on right.

"
A Trail King, or any other 1.9 Scale/Trail truck is going to be similar in size. (12.3" wb, 10" track width 4.75" ish tires.) Size allows more reach and makes obstacles smaller. (Wraith is 14" wb, 12" track width and 5.75" tires) I ran with a Scx6 and it is rather impressive, yet the guy running it was having problems with gears skipping, go figure. The problem besides the high initial cost is the aftermarket hasn't caught up with it just yet, unlike the SSD, Vanquish, and Axial rigs. Btw the Vanquish and SSD rigs started life as Axial Scx10.2 replacement parts, until they had enough parts to build their own rigs.

I really like my SSD Trail King, probably my favorite for running with friends.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Wraith is by far my most capable scale crawler/trail rig.
Been Waiting a Long Time
How does this stack up against the Trail King? You’re convincing me to buy that just because of how capable you say it is. I just know I’ll need to upgrade it eventually and ditch some of the stock electronics. It just seems like a lot to buy given how much will need to be modified from the get go.

It’s sounding like the SSD Trail King, one of the Element kits or Wraith Spawn is what might be a good bet for me. I’m not particularly fond of the Wraith’s stock body, so I’ll look and see if I can get a cooler one on it if I go that route.

I’m also looking at the Element Kit’s and I’m seeing an Enduro and then a Sendero kit. Once again, I have no clue the difference so I’ll study up on that.

I’m not sure if these others are worth mentioning, but I wanted to see, before I pull the trigger, which of these is the highest quality, most capable of the bunch? I’ll buy whatever you guys can convince me of!
  • Traxxas TRX-4
  • Traxxas TRX-4 Sport
  • SCX10-3 kit
  • Trail King SSD
  • Element Enduro
  • Element Sendero

I like the idea of being able to have remote diff lock, which I think is cool b/c it will allow me to get some extra speed while also doing some crawling easier. Portal axles seem to be great for ground clearance, and a 2 speed seems to allow for some fun trail runs, so I wouldn’t mind having those in my kit. Whatever I end up with, I’d like to stuff some larger tires on it. Also, I think it’d be cool to have the 14” wheelbase as the larger scale sizes seem to do better crawling.

I’ll check out the forum and do my homework for some builds on the aforementioned kits.

I’m leaning towards the Wraith Spawn or the Trail King. The Wraith Spawn looks really great, but it’s an RTR so I’m considering steering clear of that for that reason alone, unless I can find one being sold that’s been upgraded already. If the capability is better with the Wraith Spawn over the Trail King, I may get that and upgrade it.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I love my Trail King. It's my favorite & most capable truck. I was all about 2.2s years ago, but with the current crop of scalers I see no need for 2.2s. All of my trucks have 1.9s & are more capable than my old 2.2 rig. They're much more fun to drive too. I currently have an SSD Trail King, Redcat Gen 8, TRX4 & an Element Enduro HD. My favorite is the Trail King. Next would be a tie between the Gen 8 & the Enduro. While I do like the TRX4, it gets driven the least. I just like the other trucks more for some reason. All of the trucks are quite capable & I've never had durability issues with any of them. I don't trail, I only crawl. I prefer the hardest lines possible & I don't baby my trucks. I don't care about scale points, interiors or keeping the body nice. I just do what I need to do to make the trucks as capable as possible. Surprisingly, it doesn't take a whole lot, especially on the Trail King. I don't run much brass, only brass steering knuckles & that's it. Then it's a matter of tuning. I like my trucks light & low. The Trail King is a beast! You won't be dissapointed.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
All of my trucks have 1.9s & are more capable than my old 2.2 rig. They're much more fun to drive too.
Really? I would’ve thought the 2.2s were much more capable because I’ve seen a lot of 1.9s get caught up on the rocks due to low ground clearance. Do you have a build thread? I’ll check it out.

If I do go with the Trail King, anything you’d recommend for electronics, wheels/tires, RX/TX? I have a hacked FlySky GT3B that I could reuse. It’s a 3 channel radio, would that work well for a Trail King?
Old 02-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
Really? I would’ve thought the 2.2s were much more capable because I’ve seen a lot of 1.9s get caught up on the rocks due to low ground clearance. Do you have a build thread? I’ll check it out.

If I do go with the Trail King, anything you’d recommend for electronics, wheels/tires, RX/TX? I have a hacked FlySky GT3B that I could reuse. It’s a 3 channel radio, would that work well for a Trail King?
My 1.9 trucks are more capable because they're better engineered than my old 2.2 truck. Something current with 2.2s like a bomber will do quite well, but you'd definitely be in the minority. You can run 2.2s on a 1.9 chassis, but you'll probably start breaking parts. 1.9 trucks have come a long way & they're pretty much the gold standard these days. I would try a good set of 1.9s first. You'd be surprised at how well they do.

As for electronics, I like to keep things simple. All my trucks have Hobbywing 1080 ESCs & Holmes Hobbies 5-slot brushed motors. I use a Flysky GT5 rx/tx, but your GT3b will be fine.
For wheels/tires, I have various combos. China aluminum wheels with Proline Krawlers, Proline Hyrax, Proline Swampers & J Concepts Scorpios tires. Various foams from CI & Proline. They're all good tires for my terrain (AZ rocks). Tuning your tire/foam combos is very important. It'll take some time to find what works for you. To start, I'd go with Proline Swamper XLs or Proline Hyrax, both in the G8 compound. Both of those tires perform very well across the board. Get a set of CI Lil' Nova foams to go in them. You can go with whatever wheels you want.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

RC4WD has the bully 2 on sale today. $100 bucks off.

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Bully-...it_p_5056.html

Unless you want to get into the Dlux superlites. We don’t know your budget. I have both axles. I lean toward my dlux usually. Always great stuff.

Post in the wanted section if you set on the MOA. You could possibly pick a set up used pretty cheap and go from there.
xxlostonexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I put Bully front axles (for 4WS) on a Dlux Mercenary frame with 2.2 wheels. It out-performs my 4WS Capra and I know it's not fully dialed in. I'm new to crawling so that's no surprise. So far I'm happy with it and I know it's going to get better.

I'm going to be getting into scale but haven't built yet (have Vanquish Ultra and SSD TK kits). Not a lot out there for MOA as far as I can see - Bully and Dlux. People here in the forum know more than I know so they may be able to elaborate. As you can see there's no shortage of good info for trailing and scale crawling.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Wraith Spawn comes with plastic gears inside the case, but the aftermarket has that covered. You can rebuild a Wraith from aftermarket 5x with only aftermarket gear and never have to reuse another company's part.

I really like my SSD Trail King, probably my favorite for running with friends.
Why do you like your SSD the best? I know you mentioned your Wraith Spawn is seriously capable so I'm curious as to what made you pick the SSD over the Wraith Spawn?

Are portal axles worth it? In my mind they'd be awesome, but is that the case? If they are worth it, I'll entertain the TRX4 more. If not, I'm stuck b/t the Element Kit and the SSD Trail King kit.

If I get a nice enough motor, do I need a 2 speed transmission if I'm wanting a trail rig to get a little big of speed?

Last edited by Krawler23; 02-24-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Why do you like your SSD the best? I know you mentioned your Wraith Spawn is seriously capable so I'm curious as to what made you pick the SSD over the Wraith Spawn?

Are portal axles worth it? In my mind they'd be awesome, but is that the case? If they are worth it, I'll entertain the TRX4 more. If not, I'm stuck b/t the Element Kit and the SSD Trail King kit.

If I get a nice enough motor, do I need a 2 speed transmission if I'm wanting a trail rig to get a little big of speed?
Define a little bit of speed? My Wraith tops out @12 mph on 3s and a 1900kv motor

My Wraith spawn...

My SSD Trail King. (My friends Trx4 behind it)

I own both, I enjoy both. Most guys I crawl with have Trx4's and very few have the larger 2.2 rigs (Wraith) though a few are starting to get them now. Class 2 comp style rigs are very popular with the guys I crawl with, and the SSD hangs with them with very few issues. My SSD has only UD gears out back and Proline G8 Krawlers

The Wraith just crawls the same stuff easier. It has a longer reach due to the longer wheelbase and is more stable on side hills due to the wider stance. It also has gobs of power with the castle Slate motor and copperhead esc. I lowered mine about a full inch lower than stock (Traxxas Slash Shocks) and mounted the battery as low as I could in the forward mounting position under the hood. Homemade stainless links add to the weight down low and allow better sliding on the sandpaper like rocks we have here. Axial bead locks and Proline G8 KM3's, and Axial metal transmission gears round out the mods...

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 02-24-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:36 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
I love my Trail King. It's my favorite & most capable truck. I currently have an SSD Trail King, Redcat Gen 8, TRX4 & an Element Enduro HD. My favorite is the Trail King.
Does your TRX4 have portal axles? I'm looking for something to trail with so do you think the SSD can have enough speed to trail with? If not, what's the best way to modify it to get it more trail ready? I could put it a 2 speed in it or put a good motor in it and I think I wouldn't need a 2 speed at that point maybe. Keep in mind it may see a little bit of water as well.

Also, does the SSD have locked diffs? When it says it has "6 bolt lockers" I'd assume you can't unlock them, which would be better for trail runs to get some more speed.

Last tidbit, I don't really care about scale accessories like the engine etc.. If I'm paying more for that I'd probably get a different kit w/o that. But if I'm paying for the machined gears and hardened steel, I'll pay for that I don't mind.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Does your TRX4 have portal axles? I'm looking for something to trail with so do you think the SSD can have enough speed to trail with? If not, what's the best way to modify it to get it more trail ready? I could put it a 2 speed in it or put a good motor in it and I think I wouldn't need a 2 speed at that point maybe. Keep in mind it may see a little bit of water as well.

Also, does the SSD have locked diffs? When it says it has "6 bolt lockers" I'd assume you can't unlock them, which would be better for trail runs to get some more speed.

Last tidbit, I don't really care about scale accessories like the engine etc.. If I'm paying more for that I'd probably get a different kit w/o that. But if I'm paying for the machined gears and hardened steel, I'll pay for that I don't mind.
The Trx4 is available with a 2 speed and unlockable diffs. It comes with portal axles and is capable, just not as capable as a straight axled rig out of the box.

The SSD is quite good as a trail truck. Axles and center are locked with "spools". 6 bolt lockers are what the ring gear bolts to inside the pumpkin front and rear. The SSD parts are high quality and in my opinion the builders kit @ $330 is a bargain for what you are getting. The molded scale bits are just a bonus.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:48 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Define a little bit of speed? My Wraith tops out @12 mph on 3s and a 1900kv motor

The Wraith just crawls the same stuff easier. It has a longer reach due to the longer wheelbase and is more stable on side hills due to the wider stance. It also has gobs of power with the castle Slate motor and copperhead esc. I lowered mine about a full inch lower than stock (Traxxas Slash Shocks) and mounted the battery as low as I could in the forward mounting position under the hood. Homemade stainless links add to the weight down low and allow better sliding on the sandpaper like rocks we have here. Axial bead locks and Proline G8 KM3's, and Axial metal transmission gears round out the mods...
12mph is probably enough. I just didn't want something super slow or that has a super difficult time keeping up on the trail which will make the motor too hot. Thanks for the description of your different setups. I'm in Pennsylvania, what tires would you recommend for what we've got around here?

If I go the Wraith route, I'd get metal gears no doubt. Ok since everyone loves the 1.9s, how's the Wraith 1.9 stack up? I love the look of it and think it's great too. However, I think the Trail King is seemingly higher quality, so I'll probably end up getting that, but I just want to inquire about the 1.9 wraith as I know that's really liked as well.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
12mph is probably enough. I just didn't want something super slow or that has a super difficult time keeping up on the trail which will make the motor too hot. Thanks for the description of your different setups. I'm in Pennsylvania, what tires would you recommend for what we've got around here?

If I go the Wraith route, I'd get metal gears no doubt. Ok since everyone loves the 1.9s, how's the Wraith 1.9 stack up? I love the look of it and think it's great too. However, I think the Trail King is seemingly higher quality, so I'll probably end up getting that, but I just want to inquire about the 1.9 wraith as I know that's really liked as well.
I got the opportunity to drive a 1.9 Wraith. It drives very similarly to the typical Scx10II or another straight axle rig. It has a 12" wheelbase, so it is quite a bit shorter than a 2.2 Wraith. It is a fun rig thogh I would grab the SSD then after a while or not grab a Wraith 2.2.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

All signs point towards the 1.9" Wraith being discontinued - I would not get it unless you are aware that spare parts will be getting harder to find.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:43 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

i have a wraith spawn and its hands down more capable than any other scale rig i have when set up right they kick ass but it took $1000 to get it there out of the box it broke alot almost every run but once i upgraded all the broken parts with aftermarket parts it hasent broke a thing
my only issue with the wraith is it makes most obsticles to easy
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

All TRX4's have portal axles. The full-featured trx4 models have selectable lockers & a 2-speed trans. The Sport models lack those features. On those models the differentials are permanently locked & the transmission is a single speed. I have a full-featured trx4. The selectable lockers & 2-speed trans are fun to play with, but not needed for crawling or trailing. It's really not as fast as you think in high gear.

The trail King is basically a builder's kit with the highest quality components. You choose your motor & esc. In mine, I run a Holmes Hobbies 13t Crawlmaster expert motor & it's fast. A bit too fast for crawling. It works, but I really need to swap it out with a 16t. If you put a good brushed or brushless motor/esc It will be slow enough to crawl & have plenty of speed on the top end.

The SSD has machined steel spools, so the diffs are 100% locked, 100% of the time. The ability to unlock the diffs, as on some trx4 models, will not give you more speed. The only advantage is that it will make the trx4 turn a little tighter. However, when it comes to turning radius, nothing beats the SSD Trail King. It has the tightest turning radius of any truck on the market.

As for the scale accessories on the Trail King, it's only the engine & receiver box, neither of which you have to use. You're not really paying more for those. The Trail King kit comes with premium parts, that's what you're paying for. Titanium links, hardened steel spools/gears/axleshafts, SSD's forward motor transmission & their famous ar44 style modular axles. The kit is very well engineered & very durable. It includes all the upgrades that people typically put on a SCX10.2.

Last edited by Bob_in az; 02-26-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Looking to get a MOA and a Trail rig! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trail buddy for scx10ii, thinking of getting a second trail rig just not sure what NitroDarwin Axial SCX10 II 13 02-21-2017 04:16 PM