Custom Links 60.00
TRX4 Axle 46.00
Amazon Wheels 45.00
CI Foams 47.90

VDF Transmission 120

Castle Copperhead 120.00
HH PP Stubby 99.00

Total: 672.82

Not too bad, not too great, but it's a start.

I already have servo, radio, and tires.
I couldn't get two different Copperheads to run on Revolvers or a Puller Pro. This seems to be an issue with many others One was a warranty replacement and it was sent to just put in a padded envelope, no manual box or nothing. You could tell it had been used before. Castle won't even return my emails any more. I have had great luck with SW4s and MambaXs but because of the horrid customer service I would not recommend Castle to anyone.

Count your points and consider an axle mount servo and go direct power. Be careful of amazon wheels, back spacing is important to be able change hubs with either SSD or Vanquish. For me the $50 extra for SSD wheels is money well spent.

What spacers are you talking about?

Last edited by MOguy; 02-27-2022 at 05:53 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Building a c2 comp rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I couldn't get two different Copperheads to run on Revolvers or a Power Pro. This seems to be an issue with many others One was a warranty replacement and it was sent to just put in a padded envelope, no manual box or nothing. You could tell it had been used before. Castle won't even return my emails any more. I have had great luck with SW4s and MambaXs but because of the horrid customer service I would not recommend Castle to anyone.

Count your points and consider an axle mount servo and go direct power. Be careful of amazon wheels, back spacing is important to be able change hubs with either SSD or Vanquish. For me the $50 extra for SSD wheels is money well spent.

What spacers are you talking about?
Yeah, I've had a bad experience with Castle customer support too, but I found that Amazon customer support is a lot better with dealing with situations. Castle wasn't doing anything about my faulty ESC but Amazon was able to return the broken one and send me another. I've heard that the copperhead 10 has some problems, but I'll take my chances, as the Mamba is both too heavy and too expensive for this application.

As for the wheels, I've had a pretty good experience with Amazon wheels, and they fit with my SSD Hubs, I may swap them for SSD wheels, but Vanquish is just too expensive.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
Yeah, I've had a bad experience with Castle customer support too, but I found that Amazon customer support is a lot better with dealing with situations. Castle wasn't doing anything about my faulty ESC but Amazon was able to return the broken one and send me another. I've heard that the copperhead 10 has some problems, but I'll take my chances, as the Mamba is both too heavy and too expensive for this application.

As for the wheels, I've had a pretty good experience with Amazon wheels, and they fit with my SSD Hubs, I may swap them for SSD wheels, but Vanquish is just too expensive.
What about an SW4? If you know what Amazon wheels work they would be fine.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
What about an SW4? If you know what Amazon wheels work they would be fine.
I was originally going to run a HH revolver and a SW4, but the HH puller pro stubby is only a bit more expensive than the revolver, and offers a significantly higher amount of power, so the ESC has to be sensored.

But I'll think about it.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was originally going to run a HH revolver and a SW4, but the HH puller pro stubby is only a bit more expensive than the revolver, and offers a significantly higher amount of power, so the ESC has to be sensored.

But I'll think about it.
MambaX?
Old 02-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
MambaX?
170 dollars for a ESC right now is really steep, and it's a lot heavier so I probably wont get one. It's a great esc, just the prices are waaaaay too high right now.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #27
RCC Addict

There’s been a lot of backlash against the copperhead. Just keep that in mind. All the complaints I’ve read have been with that esc in crawlers and castle says there is no issues that it’s battery capacity causing the issue and recommends something like 5000mah to operate that esc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
170 dollars for a ESC right now is really steep, and it's a lot heavier so I probably wont get one. It's a great esc, just the prices are waaaaay too high right now.
Right now? That's not even bad. Wasn't much cheaper 10-12 yrs ago for the equivalent Mamba back then. Hell the Micro was about the same price if not less than it was back then. RC prices haven't been raped as bad as many things yet. They've gone up, but not drastically.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:43 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I did some more looking, and it looks like a lot more people use Brazin ATL V2s for TRX4 and portal builds. It looks like Brazin has a lot more clearance for portal axles, but I do like the components (Panhard, servo mounts etc) from Gspeed better (Aluminum vs plastic, similar prices)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT0jfAE2z3g

In this video at 13:57, he mentions being able to switch chassis,

So my question is are the parts interchangeable? I think considering that I'm doing a TRX4 axle build, the Brazin ATL chassis is the best option, but I still want to use Gspeed components. Would they fit?
Old 02-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
There’s been a lot of backlash against the copperhead. Just keep that in mind. All the complaints I’ve read have been with that esc in crawlers and castle says there is no issues that it’s battery capacity causing the issue and recommends something like 5000mah to operate that esc.

The Mamba x Manual says the exact same thing. I don't even have a battery that big I have three Mamba x's and none of ever had a problem. I did put the copperheader in a friends RC that have a 5500 mah battery and it stalled in that one too.

Apparently there are others that have the exact same problems with the copperhead with different sizes batteries. Some Copperheads just suck, and castles customer service sucks, they won't even admit the Copperhead has an issue.

Last edited by MOguy; 02-26-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:55 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
The Mamba x Manual says the exact same thing. I don't even have a battery that big I have three Mamba x's and none of ever had a problem. I did put the copperheader in a friends RC that have a 5500 mah battery and it stalled in that one too.

Apparently there are others that have the exact same problems with the copperhead with different sizes batteries. Some Copperheads just suck, and castles customer service sucks, they won't even admit the Copperhead has an issue.

Right on, idk I run mamba x in pretty much everything except my gspeed v3 4ws. It’s got a crawlmaster mini and 1800kv revolver. People can say what they will but that thing is buttery smooth and I’ve had 0 issues with mine

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:57 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Right on, idk I run mamba x in pretty much everything except my gspeed v3 4ws. It’s got a crawlmaster mini and 1800kv revolver. People can say what they will but that thing is buttery smooth and I’ve had 0 issues with mine

My Copperheads were smoother as can be untill they stalled. I really wanted them to work out.

Building a c2 comp rig? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building homemade comp rig help Spencecrawler Newbie General 10 06-15-2016 09:06 PM
Building my new Rig pperez Axial AX10 2nd-gen 10 11-29-2012 11:25 PM
Thinking of Building a new MOA Comp Rig alexchen86 General Crawlers 8 03-20-2012 11:22 AM
building a 2.2 comp rig first time 4ruggy Newbie General 4 12-17-2008 08:06 AM