Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: VS-410 Pro vs Element ecto trailing and crawling opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 02:04 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default VS-410 Pro vs Element ecto trailing and crawling opinions

I searched Google and YouTube and found nothing comparing the two against each other in trailing or crawling. So looking for responses from people who own both.

I own both but my pro is still in the box and will remain their for a good while before I can afford electronics.

Toss the cost of both out the window for the value?? That is up to you, my ecto is pretty well upgraded and I don't think a stock ecto vs a pro would be very fair so would be nice if your ecto has upgraded electronics better tires. they both have o.d options.
when I build my pro it will be getting 90mm shocks but all opinions and builds are welcome maybe someone will do a comparison video or written opinion review of the two.

Is one better at trailing, is one better at crawling or...

Last edited by jump_it; 03-04-2022 at 02:17 AM.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2022, 06:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: VS-410 Pro vs Element ecto trailing and crawling opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump_it View Post

1. I searched Google and YouTube and found nothing comparing the two against each other in trailing or crawling.

2. I own both but my pro is still in the box and will remain their for a good while before I can afford electronics.

3. when I build my pro it will be getting 90mm shocks

4. Is one better at trailing, is one better at crawling or...
Full disclosure, i do not own an ecto. I have owned 2 enduros, and currently have a gatekeeper, as well as many other crawlers/trail trucks. The gatekeeper is a new purchase and I haven’t really got to drive it much.

1: that’s a good observation, I don’t think I’ve seen that direct comparison either. As to why (possibly), see 4 below.

2: that’s amazing self control, I can’t imagine a scenario where I would leave a vs410 pro in the box and only be driving my element.

3: the vs410 pro does have 90mm shocks from the factory, although many people have not had the best luck keeping them from leaking. If you do still intend to replace them, i would recommend finding a 90mm shock that has a similar compressed, as well as extended length to retain the factory suspension geometry.

4: by design the ecto is intended to be elements most performance oriented truck, big tires, high clearance and light weight body, etc.

The vs410 pro is a “trail truck” in the sense that it comes with more scale appropriate sized tires, full (read relatively big) body, inner fenders, interior, molded detail parts, etc. Due to all of the machined aluminum parts, machined steel gears, chassis and body it’s also a fairly heavy truck compared to the ecto.

I can only speculate as to which would outperform the other (assuming they were built identically, tires/wheels/foams, gearing, electronics and most importantly body.), but I can say for sure I’d take a box stock pro over an upgraded ecto 7 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

So basically a scx10.2 (ecto) vs a vs410 pro. They're both fine but I'd take the ecto since I have no use for craptastic vanquish portals. Left to their own devices they came out with those axles and they use cvd axles. �� Their 10.3 and capra offerings are top notch though.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
So basically a scx10.2 (ecto) vs a vs410 pro. They're both fine but I'd take the ecto since I have no use for craptastic vanquish portals. Left to their own devices they came out with those axles and they use cvd axles. í*¾í´¦ Their 10.3 and capra offerings are top notch though.

The ultra has portal axles, pro has basically offset 10.2 axles

Old 03-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I own a Pro and a Gatekeeper kit with Ecto body. Setting cost aside, I can get much more crawling performance from my Pro than the Gatekeeper.

Trailing arms are not ideal for dedicated crawling. I'm unaware of a single dedicated crawler on the market today using a similar trailing arm setup like the Gatekeeper.

I like them both for different uses, but I much more prefer my Pro.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
The ultra has portal axles, pro has basically offset 10.2 axles

Duh, I own a pro and still got it wrong.

So basically its a comparison between 2 very similar rigs. How about the OP pick whichever one has a good battery in it that day and go with it.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
I own a Pro and a Gatekeeper kit with Ecto body. Setting cost aside, I can get much more crawling performance from my Pro than the Gatekeeper.

Trailing arms are not ideal for dedicated crawling. I'm unaware of a single dedicated crawler on the market today using a similar trailing arm setup like the Gatekeeper.

This. I’d imagine an ecto with the Knightrunner rear suspension/links would be the best “stock” enduro performer.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Full disclosure, i do not own an ecto. I have owned 2 enduros, and currently have a gatekeeper, as well as many other crawlers/trail trucks. The gatekeeper is a new purchase and I haven’t really got to drive it much.

1: that’s a good observation, I don’t think I’ve seen that direct comparison either. As to why (possibly), see 4 below.

2: that’s amazing self control, I can’t imagine a scenario where I would leave a vs410 pro in the box and only be driving my element.

3: the vs410 pro does have 90mm shocks from the factory, although many people have not had the best luck keeping them from leaking. If you do still intend to replace them, i would recommend finding a 90mm shock that has a similar compressed, as well as extended length to retain the factory suspension geometry.

4: by design the ecto is intended to be elements most performance oriented truck, big tires, high clearance and light weight body, etc.

The vs410 pro is a “trail truck” in the sense that it comes with more scale appropriate sized tires, full (read relatively big) body, inner fenders, interior, molded detail parts, etc. Due to all of the machined aluminum parts, machined steel gears, chassis and body it’s also a fairly heavy truck compared to the ecto.

I can only speculate as to which would outperform the other (assuming they were built identically, tires/wheels/foams, gearing, electronics and most importantly body.), but I can say for sure I’d take a box stock pro over an upgraded ecto 7 days a week.

Hi twade984 thank you for the reply.

1: Their is comparison videos ecto to ultra on Y/T even a few vs videos against g-speed and flat geko and others, so thought their would be a pro to ecto, but nothing. Straight axle to straight axle, to me both would be better at going vertical and side hilling, which lead to making this thread, maybe someone will read it and do just that.

2: Ecto has been sitting on the shelf, all tho I have been in the hobby for a long time and have owned many crawlers they usually just sat on the shelf until I sold them vs running my high speed non crawler bashers, until last year when I purchased the ecto and for some reason the slow side finally bit watching the suspension articulate suddenly was cool.
Lately I have been hard core into my Phoenix and am really enjoying that rig, just before that I did a NWSD SG2 swap to one of my trx4 the other trx4 is currently being built with the Negative G chassis all tho I am more into trailing and will probably not ever get into comp crawling.

3: My bad it was late not sure how my brain went to thinking the pro came with 80mm shocks I also have an ultra new in box and switching to 90mm shocks on that has been my plan, my Phoenix I am running traxxas 90mm rear and 90mm team associated FT (element enduro shocks) up front flipped and mounted to rock pirate rc shock towers.

4: I was leaning towards the pro being a better trail truck but after reading some of the following comments I am not sure on the actual crawling end.

I honestly feel it would be thru upgrading each rig and at what point do the upgrades surpass the other rig, pro being able to have dig and o.d, I know you can put dig in the ecto with an aftermarket tranny but lose o.d, the ecto being lighter should do better going vertical as long as weight is put in the right place, comments above seem to favor the pro
Old 03-04-2022, 06:28 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
So basically a scx10.2 (ecto) vs a vs410 pro. They're both fine but I'd take the ecto since I have no use for craptastic vanquish portals. Left to their own devices they came out with those axles and they use cvd axles. �� Their 10.3 and capra offerings are top notch though.
Ha...Guess I have not explored enuff information on the vp portal axles, other than turning radius, you are the first I have heard to not like them.

Makes me wonder why they have the ultra on sale at amain, or get the free wheels on vp's site, I wonder if they are going to release a ultra v2 with aluminum phoenix axle or just ditch the ultra.

While I am at it off topic: I also wonder why they chose to release the Phoenix with portal axles most people go for the pro vs the ultra.

Last edited by jump_it; 03-04-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

any mods to your ectofied gatekeeper lowered, unsprung weight added? anything to make it compete with the pro.

I have read many posts mostly on f/b of the ecto going head to head with some serious built comp crawlers
Old 03-05-2022, 04:33 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ha...Guess I have not explored enuff information on the vp portal axles, other than turning radius, you are the first I have heard to not like them.

Makes me wonder why they have the ultra on sale at amain, or get the free wheels on vp's site, I wonder if they are going to release a ultra v2 with aluminum phoenix axle or just ditch the ultra.

While I am at it off topic: I also wonder why they chose to release the Phoenix with portal axles most people go for the pro vs the ultra.

Their portals as with all VP parts are nice units with nice fit & finish but the limited turning radius is garbage and their width limits turning even more due to tires binding on links. There also isn't enough castor built in and it's not so adjustable since pinion angle and panhard vs drag link angles come into play at the extreme.

I have had most every VP axle offered up until the Phoenix and the ultra portal is the worst axle they've designed. The capra axle they do is killer, they improved upon a factory offering which is something they've always excelled at.

I'd guess they're going to phase the axle out at some point since there are so many better options out there now.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:11 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
any mods to your ectofied gatekeeper lowered, unsprung weight added? anything to make it compete with the pro.

I have read many posts mostly on f/b of the ecto going head to head with some serious built comp crawlers
Something to keep in mind is that as you begin to change things, the truck starts to loose any perceived connection to it's original name. Changing chassis rails, changing link designs, changing transmission / motor layouts has the result of it being a "custom" crawler that little to do with the original truck.

As Topher said, changing out the trailing arms would really help ( Topher knows his stuff ), but once you do that, it's not an Ecto any longer. Or it's an Ecto.*

So while I cannot speak to the all the possible options, I have modified both of the trucks without changing major components. With similar modifications, my 410 beats it on very steep, technical climbs.

Each truck is it's own puzzle, and each are good products. It all comes down to your budget and your goals.

I would also take anything you read on the net with a massive bag of salt. The amount of BS passed off as experience or fact is stunning. While advice is helpful, there is no substitute for trail time and first-hand testing.

s.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:10 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
The amount of BS passed off as experience or fact is stunning. While advice is helpful, there is no substitute for trail time and first-hand testing.

Also just keeping in mind that everyone has different priorities.

An ecto could have twice the performance of a vs410 pro, but I’d still rather own/build/drive the pro.

And imo, that’s one of the best aspects of this hobby, tying different rigs/parts/setups, and figuring out which one gives you the most enjoyment.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:46 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Something to keep in mind is that as you begin to change things, the truck starts to loose any perceived connection to it's original name. Changing chassis rails, changing link designs, changing transmission / motor layouts has the result of it being a "custom" crawler that little to do with the original truck.

As Topher said, changing out the trailing arms would really help ( Topher knows his stuff ), but once you do that, it's not an Ecto any longer. Or it's an Ecto.*

So while I cannot speak to the all the possible options, I have modified both of the trucks without changing major components. With similar modifications, my 410 beats it on very steep, technical climbs.

Each truck is it's own puzzle, and each are good products. It all comes down to your budget and your goals.

I would also take anything you read on the net with a massive bag of salt. The amount of BS passed off as experience or fact is stunning. While advice is helpful, there is no substitute for trail time and first-hand testing.

s.
Agreed I do not want to see a comparison to an ecto that has had too many changes, like twade984 said comparable electronics if not the same, but definitely not the stock ecto electronics, matching wheels tires, and maybe some of the free mods you can do to the ecto such as lowering it.

The trailing arms I understand they are not the best for crawling and know you can swap those out for lower links.

Thought about sending some youtubers a message asking if they could do a comparison or vs vid but everyone I follow or know of have already modified their ecto, I would do it but I am not very good at talking technical stuff plus most my crawling is trailing and creek runs, really dont know where to go close by for actual vertical rock crawling

My ecto I would consider as having too many upgrades, as it sits plenty of weight down low including brass links, SOA, Bowhouse lcg skid, 1800kv fusion with reefs raw 500 servo.

As for the internet and all the b.s that is on it I will stay away from responding to that I start thinking political real fast ive been on the internet since the mid to late 80's I am 56 yrs of age

I will say it was sad to see photobucket require a fee and facebook become a thing to the point it hurt forums but I have adjusted. One good thing about fb is marketplace and you can post quick vids and pics with your comments stating how well your rig crawls, other than that same asshatery and same guys who like to help as what I have seen on forums.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

While I do not do FB, we have a website and an IG account which have plenty of videos showing the rocks and trails we use to test tires in our area. I'm a 5 minute drive from Red Rock National Park, so in a word we are spoiled. It's not uncommon to be on the rocks four days a week for crawling.

s.

VS-410 Pro vs Element ecto trailing and crawling opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build B-MOW71 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 210 11-24-2023 04:40 PM
VS 410 Pro on the Trail SteveB1 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 3 09-30-2021 03:48 PM
Test drive of Element Ecto JMHZ2401 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 10 08-20-2021 05:57 PM
Element Ecto Trail SteveB1 General Crawlers 6 07-11-2021 02:23 PM
410 Pro build J55TTC 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 08-16-2019 06:25 AM