Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Another servo on axle mount question (sorry)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another servo on axle mount question (sorry)

So I'm in a quandary at the moment, looking to upgrade my OG SCX10 to SCX10II axles, someone offered me a brand new in packet SCX10III straight axle kit for a very good deal, but ideally I really want to keep my servo on axle set up, being in the UK and not having access to a 3d printer I'm stuck.
I've stumbled across a SOA mount for AR44s, I'm wondering if it will fit the AR45 straight axles?
They look quite similar, but not sure about the bolt pattern.
Link to the mount in question; https://greensmodels.co.uk/products/...9dbf597e&_ss=r

Main reason I'm considering this is he's offering me SSD brass diff covers in on the deal, so it works out a considerable amount less than buying AR44s new, plus covers and link mounts (HATE the red plastic)
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Another servo on axle mount question (sorry)

The AR45 axle is completely different in design, AR45's have an offset front pumpkin and a truss. That AR44 mount wont work for the AR45.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
The AR45 axle is completely different in design, AR45's have an offset front pumpkin and a truss. That AR44 mount wont work for the AR45.
Duhhh of course it is, I should have realised the offset.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
So I'm in a quandary at the moment, looking to upgrade my OG SCX10 to SCX10II axles, someone offered me a brand new in packet SCX10III straight axle kit for a very good deal, but ideally I really want to keep my servo on axle set up, being in the UK and not having access to a 3d printer I'm stuck.
I've stumbled across a SOA mount for AR44s, I'm wondering if it will fit the AR45 straight axles?
They look quite similar, but not sure about the bolt pattern.
Link to the mount in question; https://greensmodels.co.uk/products/...9dbf597e&_ss=r

Main reason I'm considering this is he's offering me SSD brass diff covers in on the deal, so it works out a considerable amount less than buying AR44s new, plus covers and link mounts (HATE the red plastic)
Shapeways has this available:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P7...71158&li=shops
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Thanks for that... Have you ever used one? I'm curious how 3d printing will react with 50kg of power going through the servo?
Old 03-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The design looks fairly strong, plus it would be SLS nylon which is one of the stronger materials and printing methods. Could it break, sure possibly. I've made a SOA mount tab (just the part where the servo mounts) out of weaker materials (FDM printed PETG) and its held up fine.

I think the designer had said it wasn't tested a month back or so, now it sounds like hes revised it at least once and the comment about not being tested is gone.

That said metal is always going to be stronger and I'd wager someone will be making a metal version soon.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-05-2022 at 03:45 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for that... Have you ever used one? I'm curious how 3d printing will react with 50kg of power going through the servo?
So far I've only run SOA on my Bomber, which has aluminum upgraded mounts - my MST (which is also SOA) is not built yet.

I had been browsing SOA mounts for Enduro axles and happened to notice that one.

Strangely enough, that same Shapeways vendor offers Enduro mounts out of 3D-printed steel...
Old 03-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm impatient so without an ETA I'm a little on the fence about a metal one coming along.
It doesn't look like it would be crazy hard for someone to mill though or even maybe cast.
Hmmm, I might give it a try anyway.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

For some reason there seems to have been a wide variety of SOA mounts designed for the Enduro axles, when I was on the hunt I saw very different approaches being used for the design.

(Not that much help in your situation, as you are on the hunt for AR45s...)
Old 03-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
For some reason there seems to have been a wide variety of SOA mounts designed for the Enduro axles, when I was on the hunt I saw very different approaches being used for the design.

(Not that much help in your situation, as you are on the hunt for AR45s...)
I've considered going the Enduro route, but don't really want grey axles.
I do like the Enduro axles though.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You can get the Element axles in black-- that's how they come on the Ecto. I've got a Gatekeeper-based build that's a hodge-podge of grey and black parts.

Going to SOA on the Element axles can be as simple as ordering a kit-- or if you have any mechanical aptitude and access to some basic tools, you can absolutely DIY.

I made my SOA bracket out of 3mm 6061 aluminum plate, and the most sophisticated too I used was a rickety old bandsaw.

DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've considered going the Enduro route, but don't really want grey axles.
I do like the Enduro axles though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
You can get the Element axles in black-- that's how they come on the Ecto. I've got a Gatekeeper-based build that's a hodge-podge of grey and black parts.

Going to SOA on the Element axles can be as simple as ordering a kit-- or if you have any mechanical aptitude and access to some basic tools, you can absolutely DIY.

I made my SOA bracket out of 3mm 6061 aluminum plate, and the most sophisticated too I used was a rickety old bandsaw.
Adding the SOA bracketry to an Enduro axle stiffens it up to the point to where there's no real argument for the grey harder plastic... I'm also not a fan of the looks. I'd argue that using the black and adding a truss for the rear as well is the best solution - my current build is using SSD aluminum c-hubs and knuckles, and the Shapeways trusses in steel.

And Element axles are VERY reasonably priced!

I have 2 Enduro-axled rigs and I may end up converting one to SOA after driving it with just trusses for a while. I can just move the front truss to the other vehicle if I do so.

Shapeways steel truss WITH SOA:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KP...85379&li=shops

Shapeways steel truss:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CS...561&li=ostatus

As you can see, these trusses clamp from the other side of the link mounts - encompassing a large part of the axle... while adding some weight, but keeping the slippery plastic on the bottom for sliding over rocks.

(EDIT) Oh, yeah - I also got SSD aluminum link mounts to have metal clamping from the side opposite of the trusses...

Yeah, I do realize all these bits DO start to add up after a while, but I am hoping the Ecto/GK build is a competent and enjoyable beast when I am done.

Last edited by durok; 03-05-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well I've ordered up the UCFab SCX10II mount, I felt metal was better and couldn't be bothered really making my own when that was is $22.
Be a while before it arrives, not in a super rush though, I've ordered some grade 5 titanium rod, to try and make pins last longer in my OD CVDs (which is what's prompting the axle swap in the first place) and hopefully can keep on trucking until the mount arrives.
I miss having lots of trucks to choose from but having a lot of time off work without pay right now because of nerve damage in my back which sucks, had to sell them all apart from one.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #14
RCC Addict

There's a few pics of the ar45 straight axle with SOA, and a link to pics of a DIY option for the same here: Servo on axle mount for 10.3 straight axles
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Another servo on axle mount question (sorry) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axle mount VS. chassis mount servo Mike McLeod Axial SCX-10 25 08-27-2018 09:16 AM
Question about wheely king axle servo mount HPI sleeper HPI Wheely King 6 12-07-2009 08:34 PM
Who makes a servo mount for a txt to mount it on the axle robster Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 12-14-2008 05:50 PM
(question) broke servo mount location on axle casing Hardrockguitar1 Newbie General 8 10-31-2006 03:33 PM