Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thinking of a near comp build, but what chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thinking of a near comp build, but what chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
kind of considering Portals don't he front and keeping the rear str8. Seems some of the rigs Ive seen with a single portal axle appear to be on the rears.

Anyone offer any info as to the good the bad the ugle of a single portal and differences between it being in Front or Rear?

I'd like to think it's pretty simple.

Straight front/portal rear gives more of a forward weight bias while making the rear less likely to catch an object on the axle or diff. This would probably be a bit more beneficial to a slanted skid chassis.

Portal front with straight rear, though this seems an odd route to take, might be effective where the opposite setup would lack. You would have less of a problem clearing objects up front, but in certain instances the front may have to do a bit more work to drag the rear end off of something if the rear were to get stuck. But also the rear would be more planted. If I ran this setup, I'd probably start with a 70-80mm shock up front with a longer setup in the rear to try to even things out. Or full droop up front with semi droop in rear. I'm not saying it needs to be evened out. That's just my preference if I were to build it with said setup.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2022, 10:29 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how does the Negative G scx10 III based chassis compare to G-speed v3?
Have any of you experienced both chassis?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Good Info. Because I wont be comping most likely, Ive been debating options. Was thinking a forward mounted motor, but as I noted above not glued to it. Not overly concerned on unsprung weight, but it is something I will keep an eye on. That said, I have considered the Scale SSD Tranny, as that is a forward motor setup, but it would be a fair bit of unsprung weight.
simple 3 gear may work.

I could do rear steer. Radio is plenty capable, and putting a F axle on the rear wouldn't be a big issue, and with the diamond axles flipping the r&p is easy to do.

kind of considering Portals don't he front and keeping the rear str8. Seems some of the rigs Ive seen with a single portal axle appear to be on the rears.

Anyone offer any info as to the good the bad the ugle of a single portal and differences between it being in Front or Rear?

May help with the tranny selection. Almost tempted to install the Foward Motor setup from TGH and go with a Hi/Lo transfer...

The Reaper is a good looking setpu. Like the new Ninja too, but not going to drop 500. though by the time you buy other setups its nearly there anyways.

So i haven't cut it out of the possible pool.

You have to be concerned about unsprung weight. Even if you want heavier things up higher you have to offeset it with weight down low. If you don't want to dump sprung weight you have to increase your unsprung weight.

If you want it more scale build it more as if it were a class 1.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:59 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
I'd like to think it's pretty simple.

Straight front/portal rear gives more of a forward weight bias while making the rear less likely to catch an object on the axle or diff. This would probably be a bit more beneficial to a slanted skid chassis.

Portal front with straight rear, though this seems an odd route to take, might be effective where the opposite setup would lack. You would have less of a problem clearing objects up front, but in certain instances the front may have to do a bit more work to drag the rear end off of something if the rear were to get stuck. But also the rear would be more planted. If I ran this setup, I'd probably start with a 70-80mm shock up front with a longer setup in the rear to try to even things out. Or full droop up front with semi droop in rear. I'm not saying it needs to be evened out. That's just my preference if I were to build it with said setup.
Thats pretty much what I figured. bu not having ran one or seen one run, it's always good to confirm.
Sure the weight would be higher but the more forward it is the better the biasing.... Just thoughts escaping. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how does the Negative G scx10 III based chassis compare to G-speed v3?
Have any of you experienced both chassis?
No Worries. That is info I could use myself.
Seems the Neg G axial chassis I've seen are designed around the Cap or 10.3. Not seen one that would be geared towards a straight axle setup.. but I may be missing it too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
You have to be concerned about unsprung weight. Even if you want heavier things up higher you have to offeset it with weight down low. If you don't want to dump sprung weight you have to increase your unsprung weight.

If you want it more scale build it more as if it were a class 1.

Not really over concerned on scale persay. Would be nice to have.... I really like the quality of the SSD tranny in my TK kits and they offer really tight tolerances as well so not a lot of slop in the entire geartrains.
Though if I did it will have to be custom made. maybe doable, but a fair bit of work too.
I do plan to keep a more forward bias, so anything that I can setup to assist that that must be sprung weight is my current focus.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking of a near comp build, but what chassis? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New comp chassis build... 89redranger Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 12-20-2012 11:43 AM
My first 2.2 comp build.....SW3 chassis soonerzuk Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 01-06-2008 01:18 AM
XRC Comp Chassis Build CaptainSafety Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 02-09-2007 07:01 PM
My P4 Comp Chassis Build bugman72 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 28 05-09-2006 10:56 PM
Thinking Of Build Chassis For A Profit Xtremekrawler8 General Crawlers 34 06-07-2005 12:46 AM