Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thinking of a near comp build, but what chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Thinking of a near comp build, but what chassis?

Just wondering what people like about the chassis options currently available.

Why did you choose the chassis you have? What do you wish it had, or what do you wish you did in your build with the chassis you have?

I know there are a few options available.

Tube, flat rail, or c channel, whatever you are comping with, what made you go that direction with your choice.

I know the flat rail type chassis seem to be the most linked. Though I likely wont be comping much, I still want to build a somewhat comp able rig.

If it matters, I'll be using a set of SSD Axles. Have a set of Pro 44s available and have a set of diamond pumpkins coming for them.

Worlds an oyster from there.

So what ya got?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Thinking of a near comp build, but what chassis?

Element builder's kit maybe? You can get the SOR EXP kit to go along with it & that will give you an lcg chassis using the factory chassis.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Assuming SORRCA rules.

There are lots of chassis. I have a CCW, a Scattergun and Gspeed.

If you want C1 you have to have a flat belly and detachable shock hoops.

Class 1 and 2 have to be flat rail.

I like a small center section. My C2 and C3 chassis are not new. They ahve a flat midsection and longer than it needs to be.

I like the look of the Brazin ATL for 2 and 3 and I think Brazin has a new one for C1 also, not sure if it is better than anything else. What I like about the HiLow is it looks easier to mount a body on, the center section is sort and has the slant and it looks easy to build so all your have to have stuff sits farther forward for better weight distribution.

Last edited by MOguy; 03-08-2022 at 12:04 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I’ve ran a few different chassis, gmrc Procrawler flatgekko gspeed v3 tgh/Holmes Sherpa. But the only one I still own is a gspeed v3. Mine is a “cheater” rig 4ws with Capra axles and stretched wheel base to 12.5”.
Customer service with gspeed is unreal. Gabe is a solid dude, stands behind his product and is pushing the limits in my opinion.
Ive ran a gspeed v3 with ar45p 10.3 portals, straight axles and with Capra axles. From 12.3” wheelbase with 3 link and Panhard to 4 link and even their 6x6 chassis which is a longer v3.
There’s a couple chassis I’d like to try but you won’t be disappointed with a gspeed.
I don’t comp myself either, I’ve built a few trucks to a point of sorrca rules but if you are using the pro44’s grab a chassis kit some hardcore links a 2.low trans and you’ll be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Let me start by saying I don't compete, but would if the opportunity came along, but my builds are not to any rule book. I have three flat rail chassis builds, a G-Shot, a GSpeed V3, and a TGH Sherpa. The G-Shot uses Supershafty Capra axles (set up for 4WS) and 2.low. The V3 uses AR45p's (at one point used Enduro axles) and a 2.low. The Sherpa uses plastic Capra axles (also 4WS) with the FMM/Xfer case. They crawl really well but probably the best part is being able to pick and choose components. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the "major" offerings. Just be prepared to think you've got everything ready to go only to find you have to wait another week for one more part to come in!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

The only scale "comp" chassis' ive used the the spare time hobbies V1W, One setup with element enduro axles/trans, treal beadlocks and 4.45 pitbull rock beast, ssd brass knuckles up front and a Jconcepts creep body.
It was a awesome truck, lightweight low slung side hilling beast. It pulled lines at cap sante on anacortes island in WA. that the capra couldnt pull.
Great budget setup. IMO

The other V1W is currently setup with built with AR44's and built axial 3 gear trans at 12.3WB, Its about the same performance as the element setup albeit heavier.
From time to time i swap in my spare capra axles/ trans. WB stretched to 12.5 with 4.75" tires, with 4WS and creep body, its a cheater rig for sure.
Exceptional performance all around.

I find the STH chassis' and his carbon infused parts a great budget option for some like you wanting to dabble in a "near comp" rig that wont break the bank. Also his 3D printed parts come with a lifetime warranty, and the only thing i've broken is a rear bumper from a big tumble at cap sante.

I really like the ones i have built but not really my style.
Will the V1W compete with the likes of a sherpa with front motor mount or a Gspeed chassis? probably not because of the traditional transmission placement. So many combinations using a flat rail chassis, which is why i went with the V1W combo and some extra parts. I knew everything would just work together and gave me plenty of options for shock mounting locations, skids for different transmissions, CMS or servo on axle/servo winch mounts, battery/esc trays and bumpers.

A solid option IMO from my limited knowledge/experience with flat rail chassied trucks.

He has some new revised chassis options and 3D printed parts but i have no experience with those, early adopter tax i suppose.
The V1W M2 limited edition looks sick.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I run toyzuki because everyone else is just imitating or blatantly tracing his geometry and calling it their own. Yes, I'm looking at you g speed.

Hard to go wrong with any of them but I'm a fan of V1 and V2 way more than V2 since I don't like how the crossmembers attach and how the belly is so long it scrapes on everything.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

And what I mean by Near Comp is A comp build. but I don't comp. Might try, but they are few and far between here in Michiganistan.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Element builder's kit maybe? You can get the SOR EXP kit to go along with it & that will give you an lcg chassis using the factory chassis.
Don't need the whole kit. Looking more at a cheater rig/lcg belly dragger piece it build.

I hear a lot of good things on the Elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Assuming SORRCA rules.

There are lots of chassis. I have a CCW, a Scattergun and Gspeed.

If you want C1 you have to have a flat belly and detachable shock hoops.

Class 1 and 2 have to be flat rail.

I like a small center section. My C2 and C3 chassis are not new. They ahve a flat midsection and longer than it needs to be.

I like the look of the Brazin ATL for 2 and 3 and I think Brazin has a new one for C1 also, not sure if it is better than anything else. What I like about the HiLow is it looks easier to mount a body on, the center section is sort and has the slant and it looks easy to build so all your have to have stuff sits farther forward for better weight distribution.
Scatergun? Not heard of that one. Going to dump it out and build a class 3 most likely. Maybe look at some added things to make it class 2, aka bumpers, wheel fenders etc just to convert quickly.

Ya the Brazin ATL or the Pro rig look like decent options. I have a little bit of CCW Stuff. Not sure I'm too fond of the pointy builds though I get the themes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I’ve ran a few different chassis, gmrc Procrawler flatgekko gspeed v3 tgh/Holmes Sherpa. But the only one I still own is a gspeed v3. Mine is a “cheater” rig 4ws with Capra axles and stretched wheel base to 12.5”.
Customer service with gspeed is unreal. Gabe is a solid dude, stands behind his product and is pushing the limits in my opinion.
Ive ran a gspeed v3 with ar45p 10.3 portals, straight axles and with Capra axles. From 12.3” wheelbase with 3 link and Panhard to 4 link and even their 6x6 chassis which is a longer v3.
There’s a couple chassis I’d like to try but you won’t be disappointed with a gspeed.
I don’t comp myself either, I’ve built a few trucks to a point of sorrca rules but if you are using the pro44’s grab a chassis kit some hardcore links a 2.low trans and you’ll be set.

This is more the route I think I want to go. What about the Sherpa left you selling it over the G-speed? I like the forward motor setup and the transfer case on the Sherp setup, though understand I can add that to most anything, including the TGH or GSpeed setups.
I will be doing a 3link/panhard for the F axle.
which are the ones you'd like to try? That may give me something to look at. heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Let me start by saying I don't compete, but would if the opportunity came along, but my builds are not to any rule book. I have three flat rail chassis builds, a G-Shot, a GSpeed V3, and a TGH Sherpa. The G-Shot uses Supershafty Capra axles (set up for 4WS) and 2.low. The V3 uses AR45p's (at one point used Enduro axles) and a 2.low. The Sherpa uses plastic Capra axles (also 4WS) with the FMM/Xfer case. They crawl really well but probably the best part is being able to pick and choose components. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the "major" offerings. Just be prepared to think you've got everything ready to go only to find you have to wait another week for one more part to come in!
which one functions best for you? What is lacking in them?
Pretty much sure on the TGH Tranny setup, just not sure which atm.
I thought that missed part was mandatory in one off builds? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomp View Post
The only scale "comp" chassis' ive used the the spare time hobbies V1W, One setup with element enduro axles/trans, treal beadlocks and 4.45 pitbull rock beast, ssd brass knuckles up front and a Jconcepts creep body.
It was a awesome truck, lightweight low slung side hilling beast. It pulled lines at cap sante on anacortes island in WA. that the capra couldnt pull.
Great budget setup. IMO

The other V1W is currently setup with built with AR44's and built axial 3 gear trans at 12.3WB, Its about the same performance as the element setup albeit heavier.
From time to time i swap in my spare capra axles/ trans. WB stretched to 12.5 with 4.75" tires, with 4WS and creep body, its a cheater rig for sure.
Exceptional performance all around.

I find the STH chassis' and his carbon infused parts a great budget option for some like you wanting to dabble in a "near comp" rig that wont break the bank. Also his 3D printed parts come with a lifetime warranty, and the only thing i've broken is a rear bumper from a big tumble at cap sante.

I really like the ones i have built but not really my style.
Will the V1W compete with the likes of a sherpa with front motor mount or a Gspeed chassis? probably not because of the traditional transmission placement. So many combinations using a flat rail chassis, which is why i went with the V1W combo and some extra parts. I knew everything would just work together and gave me plenty of options for shock mounting locations, skids for different transmissions, CMS or servo on axle/servo winch mounts, battery/esc trays and bumpers.

A solid option IMO from my limited knowledge/experience with flat rail chassied trucks.

He has some new revised chassis options and 3D printed parts but i have no experience with those, early adopter tax i suppose.
The V1W M2 limited edition looks sick.
Ya, out of the offerings the LE M2 would be the one I jump on.
Will check out Exo's builds on them and see how he does with them. THink its one of his mojinr rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I run toyzuki because everyone else is just imitating or blatantly tracing his geometry and calling it their own. Yes, I'm looking at you g speed.

Hard to go wrong with any of them but I'm a fan of V1 and V2 way more than V2 since I don't like how the crossmembers attach and how the belly is so long it scrapes on everything.
I'll check out the Toyzuki stuff.

Keep the info coming peeps.
Much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Timmahh, I built a gspeed v3 on 10.3 portals and it was a great trucks. Swapped that same setup to a Sherpa with an fmm/tcase and it performed terribly for me.. I think that chassis was designed for straight axles or Capra axles. I ended up with vanquish d44’s on my Sherpa and a vfd and loved it. But parted it out to fund other builds.

The next chassis is like to run is a classicutcustoms hill killer v4 with his transmission/tcase setup most likely and some pro44’s or something similar.

I’ll likely be building another badass 6x6 and I really want to go with ccw but the lack of carbon fiber in the 6x6 department has me second guessing. I’ve heard good things about the negative g kits also. A buddy of mine is working on a similar setup and supposedly going to let me prototype it when he’s done but I haven’t heard much more about it.

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I know you said you don't want a kit, but I'm excited about the CCW Ninja!

I've only pieced together trucks from the ground up since my first 10.2 kit... but I think this thing is gonna wreck shop, so I'll make an exception.

Still a few left for preorder at Key City Hobby.

Check out their Reaper V2 chassis if you just want competitive scx based rails. I'm working on a truck with a set of the titanium ones at the moment... They make the gspeed rails seem basic.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:21 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Have a look at Negative-G they have complete kits for the TRX4 TC-V1, SCX10.3 SC-V1 and axial capra based kit CC-V1, with optional skid lengths for 540 and 550 can motors, you pretty much use axles, links, drive shafts and shocks from your rig, everything else tranny, skid plate, sliders, and chassis comes with the kit. they have a youtube channel in which they do a follow along build for your kit, and you can pdf their build manual, Kits for Dummies like me You can also use rubber bands for adjusting droop and they include drilled out cross member for placing screws in different locations to adjust rubber band tension #33 black rubber bands suggested pretty cheap for a bag of 100

They are selling pretty fast I think they just went thru their 2nd re-stock but should be back in stock in a month or two. They are also really good at taking improvement suggestions and getting those improvements out quick, guys were asking for flatter sliders on top for better electronics mounting and with in a few weeks they have them listed on their site, I asked for sliders to mount hard bodies and was told they are working on it.

https://negativegrc.com/store/
https://youtu.be/ZLhmwCYhZag?t=46

I chose the TC-V1 and built it in a few hours pulling parts from a trx4 sport kit and transferring over, and chose the Lc-70 toyota body to mount up which I am still working on getting the body mounted.
The chassis sits on the GRC G2 aluminum portal axles with high clearance chubs and ackerman steering. I have just the high clearance hubs and ackerman steering links on my other trx4 and it is amazing how well they clearance little tips of rock or what ever I am crawling over vs stock chubs. The motor sits very low and far forward. I have not had a chance to run it yet other than on the floor, I bought it because I wanted a comp crawler even tho chances are I will never run at a competition crawling event, I like trailing and I like to run by myself.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post

Scatergun? Not heard of that one. Going to dump it out and build a class 3 most likely. Maybe look at some added things to make it class 2, aka bumpers, wheel fenders etc just to convert quickly.
Scattergun is North West Scaler Design but I think all there chassis still have longer mid sections so I wouldn't consider any of them.

You can basically layout the chassis the same for 2 and 3. The difference really is tires size, having 4ws dig and needing less of a body.

Having less of a body lets you have more up travel and no body to rub tires on. Setting up the suspension may be a problem? You could have the body post and holes line up for a C2 and C3 body and quickly change bodies (fenders within the body or easily removable) and because of the smaller tires for C2 you may not have an issue with tires rubbing on the C2 body. Fenders are only one point, there may be easier ways to get that point.

As far as dig or rear steer? There are no SORRCA rules saying you can't have an extra servo or other parts for dig or 4ws on your C2, you just can't use them. You could just keep the bumpers on for both C2 and C3.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I have a BP custom aluminum chassis build and I’m in the middle of a brazin ATL pro. I liked the BP custom and so far the ATL pro is good as well. Like everyone keeps saying though. You probably can’t really go wrong with any of them. The g speed the Sherpa the ccw. There all good chassis. It’s kinda just what you prefer.

AndrewRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Timmahh, I built a gspeed v3 on 10.3 portals and it was a great trucks. Swapped that same setup to a Sherpa with an fmm/tcase and it performed terribly for me.. I think that chassis was designed for straight axles or Capra axles. I ended up with vanquish d44’s on my Sherpa and a vfd and loved it. But parted it out to fund other builds.

The next chassis is like to run is a classicutcustoms hill killer v4 with his transmission/tcase setup most likely and some pro44’s or something similar.

I’ll likely be building another badass 6x6 and I really want to go with ccw but the lack of carbon fiber in the 6x6 department has me second guessing. I’ve heard good things about the negative g kits also. A buddy of mine is working on a similar setup and supposedly going to let me prototype it when he’s done but I haven’t heard much more about it.

Good info. I do see the sharp seems to have more cap axle builds.
I wonder how it would do over a set of new stock Ryft Axles? I have the housing, just need to get the rest. lol Only about 240 for both (yes already priced it out lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I know you said you don't want a kit, but I'm excited about the CCW Ninja!

I've only pieced together trucks from the ground up since my first 10.2 kit... but I think this thing is gonna wreck shop, so I'll make an exception.

Still a few left for preorder at Key City Hobby.

Check out their Reaper V2 chassis if you just want competitive scx based rails. I'm working on a truck with a set of the titanium ones at the moment... They make the gspeed rails seem basic.
I'm not adverse to a kit. Just don't want to buy an RTR Kit to use as a donor is all. 10-15 years ago, I'd be all over a CCW just because of the looks. lol Death Metal FOREVA! Lolol but as cool looking as they are, I'm looking for performance and the looks will be good because I'm anal over shit like that. ahahha. But not seen much of their kits in builds so not sure what to expect, which isn't always a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump_it View Post
Have a look at Negative-G they have complete kits for the TRX4 TC-V1, SCX10.3 SC-V1 and axial capra based kit CC-V1, with optional skid lengths for 540 and 550 can motors, you pretty much use axles, links, drive shafts and shocks from your rig, everything else tranny, skid plate, sliders, and chassis comes with the kit. they have a youtube channel in which they do a follow along build for your kit, and you can pdf their build manual, Kits for Dummies like me You can also use rubber bands for adjusting droop and they include drilled out cross member for placing screws in different locations to adjust rubber band tension #33 black rubber bands suggested pretty cheap for a bag of 100

They are selling pretty fast I think they just went thru their 2nd re-stock but should be back in stock in a month or two. They are also really good at taking improvement suggestions and getting those improvements out quick, guys were asking for flatter sliders on top for better electronics mounting and with in a few weeks they have them listed on their site, I asked for sliders to mount hard bodies and was told they are working on it.

https://negativegrc.com/store/
https://youtu.be/ZLhmwCYhZag?t=46

I chose the TC-V1 and built it in a few hours pulling parts from a trx4 sport kit and transferring over, and chose the Lc-70 toyota body to mount up which I am still working on getting the body mounted.
The chassis sits on the GRC G2 aluminum portal axles with high clearance chubs and ackerman steering. I have just the high clearance hubs and ackerman steering links on my other trx4 and it is amazing how well they clearance little tips of rock or what ever I am crawling over vs stock chubs. The motor sits very low and far forward. I have not had a chance to run it yet other than on the floor, I bought it because I wanted a comp crawler even tho chances are I will never run at a competition crawling event, I like trailing and I like to run by myself.
Seems the Neg G builds are centered around the cap, element and trx from what I have seen. Maybe a contender if I do something with these ryft housings. Figure I should stick to something in the sxc2 area with these SSD Diamonds. I do like the look of the chassis layouts. Wonder how the cap rig would do with the SSDs? Hmmm.

Quote:
Scattergun is North West Scaler Design but I think all there chassis still have longer mid sections so I wouldn't consider any of them.

You can basically layout the chassis the same for 2 and 3. The difference really is tires size, having 4ws dig and needing less of a body.

Having less of a body lets you have more up travel and no body to rub tires on. Setting up the suspension may be a problem? You could have the body post and holes line up for a C2 and C3 body and quickly change bodies (fenders within the body or easily removable) and because of the smaller tires for C2 you may not have an issue with tires rubbing on the C2 body. Fenders are only one point, there may be easier ways to get that point.

As far as dig or rear steer? There are no SORRCA rules saying you can't have an extra servo or other parts for dig or 4ws on your C2, you just can't use them. You could just keep the bumpers on for both C2 and C3.
Ok, not heard of that one yet. I do like the angled skid options seen in other rigs.
I had that idea on the c2/3. Maybe a different front bumper as the can be an easy swap. wheels are an easy peasy change.
think I'd be good with a Dig and no r steer on C3, these SSD axle have hellsa turning radius, and with a dig, it would really cut a circle I think.

Im a guru on body mounting options. lol See my pics below to get an idea of what I did on my LCG 13.5 No Prep with a PL C10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRC View Post
I have a BP custom aluminum chassis build and I’m in the middle of a brazin ATL pro. I liked the BP custom and so far the ATL pro is good as well. Like everyone keeps saying though. You probably can’t really go wrong with any of them. The g speed the Sherpa the ccw. There all good chassis. It’s kinda just what you prefer.

I do like the Brazin rigs. they are pretty clean looking and fairly simple in design.

I'll likely never actually Comp and if I do, it will be all about the bsing with the peeps but I do like to run and can be competitive though I care not for podiums.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Got the parts I needed to finish up the SSD Diamonds. Will have them ready tomorrow night maybe Saturday.
Wont be looking to order a chassis for a few weeks yet. Need to pay off these parts first. lol at any rate,
I am looking for a CF chassis. A Color choice would be nice. Which has me leaning a little to the GSpeed in Green or Orange.

I want to go dig.
Unsure if portal would be the way to go, or to stick with straight axles...
Maybe on rear steer but not if I go portal.

I am kind of leaning towards getting the new VFD tranny in the Peonix. Having the adjustable O.D. would be slick as shit. but it would toss a bit of weight at it.

Anyone have thoughts on the weight issue, biasing taken for granted?

2nd thought is the Wraith tranny can have dig on it right?
Anyone know if the SSD Wraith tranny can work with the VP Hurtz Dig?
Old 03-11-2022, 02:46 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Gseed,sherpa,brazin...thats all so last Friday...check out yoyoyotapilot on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CZESliQs..._link:mrgreen:

Last edited by themountain; 03-11-2022 at 02:50 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Gseed,sherpa,brazin...thats all so last Friday...check out yoyoyotapilot on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CZESliQs..._link:mrgreen:
Thats a pretty sweet looking rig. Any other pics of the tranny setup?

I'm leaning towards a forward mounted motor, but not glued to it. This rig has a nice look to it and appears to be pretty adjustable as well.

Any idea on $
Old 03-15-2022, 11:44 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Got the parts I needed to finish up the SSD Diamonds. Will have them ready tomorrow night maybe Saturday.
Wont be looking to order a chassis for a few weeks yet. Need to pay off these parts first. lol at any rate,
I am looking for a CF chassis. A Color choice would be nice. Which has me leaning a little to the GSpeed in Green or Orange.

I want to go dig.
Unsure if portal would be the way to go, or to stick with straight axles...
Maybe on rear steer but not if I go portal.

I am kind of leaning towards getting the new VFD tranny in the Peonix. Having the adjustable O.D. would be slick as shit. but it would toss a bit of weight at it.

Anyone have thoughts on the weight issue, biasing taken for granted?

2nd thought is the Wraith tranny can have dig on it right?
Anyone know if the SSD Wraith tranny can work with the VP Hurtz Dig?

Over the weekend I decided to update my C2. I had been running a CCW land shark and ended up going with a CCW Reaper V2. I had a nice chat with Chris from TGH and he had Austin from CCW come into the chat. I am building a C2 with FFM and Tcase along with CMS. The Reaper seemed to be a good choice.

Above you talk about dig. I have 4ws in my C3 scaler. Still think the hi-low is a good choice for C3. I think 4ws is a better option than dig in a scaler. 4WS steer is more predictable and the added servo is on the axle as unsprung weight. With dig your trans, dig assembly and servo will be bigger and heavier (more sprung weight) than just a transmission. I have seen dig used in the 10iii and it doesn't always work that well.

I have front and rear dig in an MOA and it works great but it is a much different set up than in a RC with drive shafts.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:19 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Over the weekend I decided to update my C2. I had been running a CCW land shark and ended up going with a CCW Reaper V2. I had a nice chat with Chris from TGH and he had Austin from CCW come into the chat. I am building a C2 with FFM and Tcase along with CMS. The Reaper seemed to be a good choice.

Above you talk about dig. I have 4ws in my C3 scaler. Still think the hi-low is a good choice for C3. I think 4ws is a better option than dig in a scaler. 4WS steer is more predictable and the added servo is on the axle as unsprung weight. With dig your trans, dig assembly and servo will be bigger and heavier (more sprung weight) than just a transmission. I have seen dig used in the 10iii and it doesn't always work that well.

I have front and rear dig in an MOA and it works great but it is a much different set up than in a RC with drive shafts.

Good Info. Because I wont be comping most likely, Ive been debating options. Was thinking a forward mounted motor, but as I noted above not glued to it. Not overly concerned on unsprung weight, but it is something I will keep an eye on. That said, I have considered the Scale SSD Tranny, as that is a forward motor setup, but it would be a fair bit of unsprung weight.
simple 3 gear may work.

I could do rear steer. Radio is plenty capable, and putting a F axle on the rear wouldn't be a big issue, and with the diamond axles flipping the r&p is easy to do.

kind of considering Portals don't he front and keeping the rear str8. Seems some of the rigs Ive seen with a single portal axle appear to be on the rears.

Anyone offer any info as to the good the bad the ugle of a single portal and differences between it being in Front or Rear?

May help with the tranny selection. Almost tempted to install the Foward Motor setup from TGH and go with a Hi/Lo transfer...

The Reaper is a good looking setpu. Like the new Ninja too, but not going to drop 500. though by the time you buy other setups its nearly there anyways.

So i haven't cut it out of the possible pool.

Thinking of a near comp build, but what chassis? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New comp chassis build... 89redranger Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 12-20-2012 11:43 AM
My first 2.2 comp build.....SW3 chassis soonerzuk Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 01-06-2008 01:18 AM
XRC Comp Chassis Build CaptainSafety Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 02-09-2007 07:01 PM
My P4 Comp Chassis Build bugman72 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 28 05-09-2006 10:56 PM
Thinking Of Build Chassis For A Profit Xtremekrawler8 General Crawlers 34 06-07-2005 12:46 AM