Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Element Enduro steering throw.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Element Enduro steering throw.

Recently built an Enduro kit, put a Savox 1230 in there and noticed I barely had any steering lock and what looked like awful torque twist.
Upon checking, when stationary or moving, the steering is only going about 50% of the full throw.
Pick the front off the ground and it's fine.
At first I thought it was maybe the servo, so tried a different one with exactly the same results, I'm running a BEC as well so it's definitely not servo related.
I've noticed when steering on the ground the truck leans really badly either way, depending on which way I'm turning.
Not an issue I've run into before and I've had 6 Enduros up to now.
My suspension is set quite soft, stock springs, 35wt oil, around 15-20% preload, my usual set up.
Panhard is mounted correct and perfectly in line with the steering linkage.
Anyone got any ideas? I can post a video if needs be but hopefully the above explanation is enough.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Element Enduro steering throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
Recently built an Enduro kit, put a Savox 1230 in there and noticed I barely had any steering lock and what looked like awful torque twist.
Upon checking, when stationary or moving, the steering is only going about 50% of the full throw.
Pick the front off the ground and it's fine.
At first I thought it was maybe the servo, so tried a different one with exactly the same results, I'm running a BEC as well so it's definitely not servo related.
I've noticed when steering on the ground the truck leans really badly either way, depending on which way I'm turning.
Not an issue I've run into before and I've had 6 Enduros up to now.
My suspension is set quite soft, stock springs, 35wt oil, around 15-20% preload, my usual set up.
Panhard is mounted correct and perfectly in line with the steering linkage.
Anyone got any ideas? I can post a video if needs be but hopefully the above explanation is enough.

Definitely a lot more helpful to see pictures or videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hopefully this video link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l_Y...=NorthernRider
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I should also say it's not because it's on carpet, it's exactly the same on tarmac, rock, grass and even when moving.

EDIT; I've also tried adding a spacer under the servo horn, where it attaches to the linkage, no difference, also tried swapping the front upper link to the other side, also no difference.

Last edited by Oh How Original; 04-29-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'm wondering if maybe the servo horn is contacting the chassis rail. It does seem odd that you get full throw when lifting the front, though. Have you tried mounting the servo from the bottom to see if that makes any difference?
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
I'm wondering if maybe the servo horn is contacting the chassis rail. It does seem odd that you get full throw when lifting the front, though. Have you tried mounting the servo from the bottom to see if that makes any difference?
It's definitely not touching anything, I've watched it closely throughout the entire throw, it's nowhere near anything, I've not yet tried mounting the servo below, could that be the issue?
Last resort will be UCfab SOA mount and be done with it, I hate CMS.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

How much is the panhard mount moving?

Old 04-29-2022, 04:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
How much is the panhard mount moving?

Not at all, I swapped the metal one from my girlfriends freshly built Gatekeeper and it made no difference.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

A soft spring especially in the rear will accentuate torque twist.

Caster will make the rig rock from side to side when steering in place, its just the nature of the geometry. If that bothers you clock the knuckles back closer to zero.

You may just need a longer servo horn to get full steering out of it. Looks like you have a 20MM long servo horn? If so maybe try a 24mm long horn. You may also need to set the travel to more than 100% as well.

It might also be worth double checking the steering arm/plate on the pasenger side knuckle is the right way around.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
A soft spring especially in the rear will accentuate torque twist.

Caster will make the rig rock from side to side when steering in place, its just the nature of the geometry. If that bothers you clock the knuckles back closer to zero.

You may just need a longer servo horn to get full steering out of it. Looks like you have a 20MM long servo horn? If so maybe try a 24mm long horn. You may also need to set the travel to more than 100% as well.

It might also be worth double checking the steering arm/plate on the pasenger side knuckle is the right way around.
Tried a 24mm horn also, which hasn't made any difference sadly.
I will double check the clock and the plate tomorrow though, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Hard to tell but it looks like you servo might be mounted on top of the servo mount instead of from below. Not that its the culprit but fixing it should improve the geometry.

I just setup a servo on axle rig with Enduro axles, it needed the 24mm servo horn and all of the travel I could throw at it. When I get off work I'll take a look at my other Element rigs to see if I'm missing something. They've never been lacking in the steering department.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-29-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Hard to tell but it looks like you servo might be mounted on top of the servo mount instead of from below. Not that its the culprit but fixing it should improve the geometry.

Op did move the drag link to the top of the steering arm which will help compensate for the difference in height. I also set mine up this way, and definitely didn’t have the same issues seen here.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:54 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just curious, whats the point of having the servo mounted above?

I just watched the video and it looks like a pretty weak servo, is it used? Is it getting the amps/volts it needs to perform?

You says its not the servo because it has a BEC but it really does look weak.
Is it using a bypass adapter? Is the BEC wiring all intact, plugged in backwards?
Old 04-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

OP states
Quote:
Have you tried a different BEC?
Or tried the servo in another truck to see if it acts the same?
dungeonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:28 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

The BEC was brand new, while I know some electrics can have gremlins right from the packet, this is performing fine.
This is also the third servo I have tried in total, first was a Savox 1230 which was also brand new, this servo worked perfectly in what I took it out of that has SOA mounting, the other (just for testing purposes) was a Savox 2290, which definitely has enough power to throw tyres around on carpet.
The Savox moves faster but still only has the same amount of throw.
I've compressed the shocks fully by hand and then turned the steering while the fronts lifted off the ground and it all moves perfectly smooth and throws the whole way in each direction.
I also tried it without the BEC connected just in case it was the BEC, but it's still the same.
The Savox operates at a maximum volts of 6 which the 1080 in the truck is capable of doing, especially while not driving.
Other than all that, this is a complete mystery.
I've sent Element an E-Mail in hopes they might have had it before and it's something silly I've overlooked or done wrong, but considering this is my 8th Element kit build in total, I don't suspect it's me at fault, all the others run flawlessly (even the two running these cheap servos I got because I needed some fast and Amazon could get them here next day)
Is it possible the ESC is at fault? It would seem unlikely with a BEC in there, but could it be a weak or almost dead ESC?
It's about the only thing I haven't adjusted or completely changed.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have run into a few servos where the VP horn was too deep where it attaches so it was actually rubbing on the servo housing itself. I had to grind it down a bit to clear. Now I didnt notice this causing any problems but it may be worth a look. You should be able to see signs of it rubbing and you can measure with calipers to confirm it.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:12 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

No horn rubbing, I switched to a longer horn from a different company, but their weren't any marks on the servo or the horn anyway so I don't think it's that.
I wonder if theirs something in the kit that wasn't quite right, I didn't notice anything when building, but maybe it's not something I've done or an external component I am using.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:07 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Try putting something under the front axle so both tires are just off the ground slightly and then see if the steering improves. This will duplicate the droop but take the friction of the tires out of the equation.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:35 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Well the ESC died a death today, perhaps it was that... Going to replace it and will report back.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Fitted an SOA, steering is perfect now, also fitted a new ESC, servo and receiver, after killing all 3 in a puddle at the beach incident lol.

Element Enduro steering throw. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Element Enduro IFS MrCataract General Crawlers 2 06-02-2021 07:22 AM
Element Enduro 24 Phyro Micro Scale Rigs 12 08-19-2020 10:23 AM
Element enduro kit Supermotovinny Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 2 12-28-2019 01:48 PM