Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How good is the VS410 Ultra actually?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2022, 11:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How good is the VS410 Ultra actually?

With the new sale, the VS410 Ultra is looking like a really nice kit, My question is, how good is it actually and how does it compare to a 10.2 /Enduro/ TRX4 performance wise?

My original plan was to build a custom comp style truck from flat rails running TRX4 portals, which would end up costing around 600 without electronics, but the idea of having nice machined axles and a well put together kit is pulling me in the other direction. I'll most likely be sacrificing performance compared to a comp build, but how does a stock VS4 stack up against a standard 10.2. I don't really want to be paying for two "normal" kits to get something that isn't much different.

From what I could dig up, maybe the VS4 is bit better than the average crawler? As for the phoenix, it also looks like a really good option but I feel like I could custom build something that performs better for around the same price. The main reason why I'm considering the Ultra is for the machined axles, something about them just makes want to get them.

Thanks!
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2022, 06:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How good is the VS410 Ultra actually?

I had the same thoughts as you a while back, bought an ultra and built it on a g speed v3 chassis. I used a Vader scx10 skid, gmp, and trx4 shocks. Everything else I used from the ultra.

Ultimately I felt it didn’t perform near as well as I expected, and a large part of that was lack of steering angle. Ultra axles do not use universals, so out of the box steering is limited significantly. Also, aluminum does not slide over rocks as good as plastic, and the whole rig felt a little heavy.

The Phoenix/f10 portals use universals and are capable of much better steering angle. Either those, or ar45’s would be my choice if I wanted to build another flat rail with portals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:52 AM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

I do not own an Ultra, but I do own an Origin, Pro & Phoenix. I agree them Ultra axles sure do look pretty!

I'd have to agree with twade though. The metal axles do not like to slide over rocks as well as plastic axle housings do. And I have heard that the Ultra axles are limited on the steering throw because they do not use universals.

I see that you don't have any interest in the Phoenix, but if it were me I'd pick up the Phoenix and either keep it in stock form or throw the axles & trans into a CF flat rail setup. The Phoenix is a great rig out of the box and is priced well!

Just my thoughts. I have to say though, I've been tempted to get an Ultra just so that I could complete my VP collection!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Just my thoughts. I have to say though, I've been tempted to get an Ultra just so that I could complete my VP collection!
Do it, Brian...do it...ya know ya want to.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My original idea for a comp build was to use a vfd twin transmission,
I assumed that the phoenix portals would also use cvds like the aluminum ones, but seeing that they use universals…..

It dosent seem like a horrible idea to just buy a phoenix and swap a gspeed or brazin chassis on, could sell the parts or build a vanquish trx4 abomination with the spares
Old 05-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I see that you don't have any interest in the Phoenix, but if it were me I'd pick up the Phoenix and either keep it in stock form or throw the axles & trans into a CF flat rail setup. The Phoenix is a great rig out of the box and is priced well!

I’m right there with you, I sold my ultra in stock form, because I felt it was too similar to my pro, and I had other projects that needed the money. With it being on sale, (and I suspect possibly discontinued before long) I’m tempted to get another one just to have a well rounded collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
My original idea for a comp build was to use a vfd twin transmission,
I assumed that the phoenix portals would also use cvds like the aluminum ones, but seeing that they use universals…..

It dosent seem like a horrible idea to just buy a phoenix and swap a gspeed or brazin chassis on, could sell the parts or build a vanquish trx4 abomination with the spares

The Phoenix kit is a great value, you can sell the body set and chassis, and use virtually everything else in a flat rail/comp style build. It would be a very cost effective way to get one going, and obviously upgrade/change shocks/links, etc as needed from there.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #7
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I have an Ultra kit that I'm fooling with right now trying to decide what I'm going to do with it.

It's a quality kit to be sure, but so are others on the market. Do you want metal axles? That looks to be the question for me. Metal is more expensive. If it's not desired why pay for it?

Look at the cost to upgrade other kits to metal. It takes the total cost right up there with the Vanquish kits with metal, more or less.

You mentioned that you like the metal axles - so do I!
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I 2nd, 3rd, maybe even 4th the phoenix kit. I bought one just to build a gspeed v3 out of. Very fun build i might add. It performs great! The f10s have tight turning ability, plastic axles with brass tubes, mine sidehills great. Ive got a build thread in the 1.9 section named 'the bama phoenix', if u wanna check it out n get some ideas. There a few others that have built some sweet comp style rigs with the VP vfd trans as well. Bmow, twade, dred, fricker, just to name a few
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:28 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I’m working on reviving a known rig here with f10’s right now. I’m not using the vfd this time, but I’d never hesitate to use one in a build.
The machined axles are killer, but you’re not going to go wrong with a Phoenix and some f10’s. I bought the kit for the truck I’m building, robbed the axles shocks links and driveshafts. Sold the trans and I’ll make more than my moneys worth on what’s left

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I know this isn’t my thread, but Thanks for all the information here guys. I’ve been considering a VS410 for a while now(ever since I built my AR60’d VP chassis base truck) but it actually sounds like the Phoenix is the right one for me. Hopefully I’ll have one on the shelf not too long from now…

Old 05-06-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I was originally going to get the Pro, but i bought my friends Ultra for a deal i couldn't pass up. For a trail / casual crawling rig its ok, but even with my usage i certainly do notice the limited steering angle. I have a dig on this rig also.

With that said, i have been casually looking for a set of straight axles. I can basically break even with selling the Ultra axles. Crazy how much both types sell for!

What really improved the performance of my Ultra was adding brass weights. Unfortunately there is only one option for the Ultra axles from a company in EU. I may have gotten a bad set, but the fitment of the brass portal covers was terrible. The bearing recesses were machined slightly oversized, this causes issues with the portal gear mesh. The company was less than helpful and would not make it right despite proving to them the bearing pockets were the wrong size. Disappointing considering what i paid + shipping.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:32 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I know this isn’t my thread, but Thanks for all the information here guys. I’ve been considering a VS410 for a while now(ever since I built my AR60’d VP chassis base truck) but it actually sounds like the Phoenix is the right one for me. Hopefully I’ll have one on the shelf not too long from now…

Seriously though, the Phoenix is a great kit for the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
I was originally going to get the Pro, but i bought my friends Ultra for a deal i couldn't pass up. For a trail / casual crawling rig its ok, but even with my usage i certainly do notice the limited steering angle. I have a dig on this rig also.

With that said, i have been casually looking for a set of straight axles. I can basically break even with selling the Ultra axles. Crazy how much both types sell for!

What really improved the performance of my Ultra was adding brass weights. Unfortunately there is only one option for the Ultra axles from a company in EU. I may have gotten a bad set, but the fitment of the brass portal covers was terrible. The bearing recesses were machined slightly oversized, this causes issues with the portal gear mesh. The company was less than helpful and would not make it right despite proving to them the bearing pockets were the wrong size. Disappointing considering what i paid + shipping.
That's a bummer about the portal covers! That is one of the reasons why I haven't added brass to the front of my Phoenix yet. There is not that many options out there yet.

The D44 straight axles would look killer under the Utlra!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The axles are strong but the steering angle and lack of good weight options makes them useless in a comp situation.

The aluminum Vanquish uses slides over rocks just as well as plastic don't worry about that at all.

A comp build using a giant overcomplicated trans is a terrible idea. Especially one with craptastic fancy axles. For a comp build I'd say to grab a 10.3 and Vanquish front housing to keep the broken panhard mount issues at bay. It's a better platform to build a comp rig out of by far.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Well, i have some good news for yall then. When iet josh at scale nats, i ask him about some f10 parts. He told me they were lookin to do aluminum knuckles for the f10s. Down side, he didnt give a date of when theyd be available.

The phoenix is a great kit to put together n works great on the trail/rocks. I just found that it feels a bit light in the front end. So im patiently waitin for the upgrades from VP
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Well, i have some good news for yall then. When iet josh at scale nats, i ask him about some f10 parts. He told me they were lookin to do aluminum knuckles for the f10s. Down side, he didnt give a date of when theyd be available.
Reminds me of him telling me the same thing regarding machined gears for the VFD Twin shortly after the Phoenix was released...and, said machined gears still aren't available.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 05-09-2022, 10:00 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thank you guys for the advice. The more I think about it, I think I'll be better off getting a phoenix. While the machined axles are really cool, they don't look to be the best performers.

Am I actually going to take it to a comp? Maybe, but I'll be doing a lot more everyday driving with it, so I think having the extra functions of the vfd twin will be a bit more fun. Plus I really like the low fowards motor mount.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:12 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
Thank you guys for the advice. The more I think about it, I think I'll be better off getting a phoenix.
Glad to hear it...and, to give you a little inspiration, here's a quickie photo of Phoenix body, which I'm building as a C3 rig.

How good is the VS410 Ultra actually? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satan6907's VS410 Ultra Satan6907 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 8 02-05-2020 08:13 PM