Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Second crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2022, 02:24 PM   #1

Default Second crawler

My Predicament is I have a trx 4 defender and I’m slowly upgrading but it’s never going to excel at real crawling.
I am looking at a trx 4 sport kit or a used scx 10.2 but is basically brand new.
My question Should I stick with traxxas so I have more interchangeable parts or try out a different platform ?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Scott Tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Second crawler

"...excel at real crawling."

What you mean by this is critical to answering your question.

If you can talk to this a bit more it would be helpful.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #3

Well I’m newer to crawling at the moment, I’m not looking to do comps yet I’m just looking for something that is more capable off the start and also be something to build on if I get more serious. Not sure if that helps
Old 05-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tighe View Post
Well I’m newer to crawling at the moment, I’m not looking to do comps yet I’m just looking for something that is more capable off the start and also be something to build on if I get more serious. Not sure if that helps

I would definitely try a new platform. Trx4’s don’t break a lot, so you’ll likely end up just buying the same “upgrades” twice.

10.2 is a good rig, but in stock form they can use a lot of upgrades.

The element gatekeeper kit just went down to $219 on amain, and the rtr is still only $299. Consider both of those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I would definitely try a new platform. Trx4’s don’t break a lot, so you’ll likely end up just buying the same “upgrades” twice.

The element gatekeeper kit just went down to $219 on amain, and the rtr is still only $299. Consider both of those as well.

Good advice right here.

I simply cannot believe the Gatekeeper kit is down to 219 dollars. Even if you got a different body, 1080 ESC, $20 Holmes motor, and the inexpensive Element wheels and tires, you’d be sitting pretty with a really nice rig at a reasonable price that would surprise you with its capabilities. I’ve had an enduro for about a year and a TRX4 Sport for about 2.5 years. Despite some nice upgrades on the TRX4, the Enduro has become the one I go to first these days. They’re both great, but that Enduro is a real pleasure.

Last edited by DirtMerchant; 05-09-2022 at 03:38 PM.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I second a gatekeeper.

It is the exact same as the element ecto except a plastic cage style body instead of a lexan truck body. And the ecto is being bragged about all over the place. I drove one a week ago and immediately ordered a gatekeeper kit. With the new price drop I'm about to order a second kit (or 2 more) because my kids want crawlers. I have 2 1080 esc and a 21t Holmes already sitting in parts bin.

Can't go wrong with a gate keeper at all. If needed get rtr, get brass knuckles for the front, better tires and have a blast. Even bone stock they are shockingly capable.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:58 PM   #7

I was looking at the gate keeper a while back! You guys might have sold me on a gate keeper kit
Old 05-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #8
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post

Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Good advice right here.

I simply cannot believe the Gatekeeper kit is down to 219 dollars. Even if you got a different body, 1080 ESC, $20 Holmes motor, and the inexpensive Element wheels and tires, you’d be sitting pretty with a really nice rig at a reasonable price that would surprise you with its capabilities. I’ve had an enduro for about a year and a TRX4 Sport for about 2.5 years. Despite some nice upgrades on the TRX4, the Enduro has become the one I go to first these days. They’re both great, but that Enduro is a real pleasure.
Completely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
I second a gatekeeper.

It is the exact same as the element ecto except a plastic cage style body instead of a lexan truck body. And the ecto is being bragged about all over the place. I drove one a week ago and immediately ordered a gatekeeper kit. With the new price drop I'm about to order a second kit (or 2 more) because my kids want crawlers. I have 2 1080 esc and a 21t Holmes already sitting in parts bin.

Can't go wrong with a gate keeper at all. If needed get rtr, get brass knuckles for the front, better tires and have a blast. Even bone stock they are shockingly capable.

Absolutely agree!

Quote:
I was looking at the gate keeper a while back! You guys might have sold me on a gate keeper kit
IMO the Gatekeeper Builders Kit is a great way to go and the price is unbeatable for what comes in the box. I bought to of these in the past couple months and I'm now planning on picking up another since the price is still great!

If you have questions or need to see more of the GK, take a look at my build thread here: B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build Both kits that I bought are here and show the build process of each.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Agree!

Completely agree!

Absolutely agree!

IMO the Gatekeeper Builders Kit is a great way to go and the price is unbeatable for what comes in the box. I bought to of these in the past couple months and I'm now planning on picking up another since the price is still great!

If you have questions or need to see more of the GK, take a look at my build thread here: B-MOW's Element GK-Ecto-Knightrunner Build Both kits that I bought are here and show the build process of each.
Thank you for the info, I will check out your build and see what I can learn
Old 05-10-2022, 12:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
My Predicament is I have a trx 4 defender and I’m slowly upgrading but it’s never going to excel at real crawling.
I am looking at a trx 4 sport kit or a used scx 10.2 but is basically brand new.
My question Should I stick with traxxas so I have more interchangeable parts or try out a different platform ?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Out of the box a TRX can excel as much or better than any other RC, BUT you have to change the heavy body. Shed some weight and it will do well.

A sport is lighter because of the body, one speed and selectable lockers. A sport compared to defender it will do better. Take the bodies off and see how they compare.

The down side of the TRX is the steering. Selectable lockers can help but the servos and mounts are about 1-2 ounces of sprung weight.

The portals have better clearance but equally important is the added gear reduction you don't get with a straight axle. This will eliminate or almost eliminate torque twist.

BUT, if you already have a TRX, upgrade it but also try something new.

Last edited by MOguy; 05-10-2022 at 01:07 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Out of the box a TRX can excel as much or better than any other RC, BUT you have to change the heavy body. Shed some weight and it will do well.

A sport is lighter because of the body, one speed and selectable lockers. A sport compared to defender it will do better. Take the bodies off and see how they compare.

The down side of the TRX is the steering. Selectable lockers can help but the servos and mounts are about 1-2 ounces of sprung weight.

The portals have better clearance but equally important is the added gear reduction you don't get with a straight axle. This will eliminate or almost eliminate torque twist.

What would u recommend trying other than the trx ?
Old 05-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Trx4s are sweet and yes do outperform many rigs out of the box, at minimum will hang with them (minus defender body version which needs a ton of brass on the axles and well tuned shocks to deal with the body) but especially stock for stock, trx4 would never touch an ecto on the rocks.

I'm actually wanting to take my knightrunner up against more built TRX4s. Everyone hates on IFS, but being what I do, didn't take me long (or anything but better shocks and a bit of brass along with the proper front skid design) to find her "Toyota" potential.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What would u recommend trying other than the trx ?
Building from scratch using ar44. Corrupt Carbon has nice chassis.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Trx4s are sweet and yes do outperform many rigs out of the box, at minimum will hang with them (minus defender body version which needs a ton of brass on the axles and well tuned shocks to deal with the body) but especially stock for stock, trx4 would never touch an ecto on the rocks.

I'm actually wanting to take my knightrunner up against more built TRX4s. Everyone hates on IFS, but being what I do, didn't take me long (or anything but better shocks and a bit of brass along with the proper front skid design) to find her "Toyota" potential.

Is the ecto an Enduro?
Old 05-10-2022, 08:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Is the ecto an Enduro?
Ya but not the normal enduro everyone is used to.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:53 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is the ecto an Enduro?
The Ecto is a Gatekeeper minus the heavier caged body.

They both are basically the Enduro chassis with a longer wheelbase, and trailing arm rear suspension.

Best of both worlds is to pickup a Gatekeeper kit, which has a few upgrades, then score an Ecto bodyshell to swap out.

The Gatekeeper cage is somewhat burly, but raises the C.O.G.

Yes, the Element IFS will also bolt right on up if you want to try that as well.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:30 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The Ecto is a Gatekeeper minus the heavier caged body.

They both are basically the Enduro chassis with a longer wheelbase, and trailing arm rear suspension.

Best of both worlds is to pickup a Gatekeeper kit, which has a few upgrades, then score an Ecto bodyshell to swap out.

The Gatekeeper cage is somewhat burly, but raises the C.O.G.

Yes, the Element IFS will also bolt right on up if you want to try that as well.

Got it. I built an Enduro a while back. I didn't like the axles, torque twist and big pumpkins. I put AR44s under the Enduro and it was great. My son likes the Enduro axles, for him they drove light and were maneuverable. He runs them on his comp build, I like Ar44s and TRX portals, depending on the build.

I would still recommend building from scratch but if you get a kit the Ecto would be a good choice.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:23 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

The TRX4s are pretty durable, but stock, aren't that capable, I've had 4, all in different stages of upgrade, I ended up selling them all as I like performance.
I've had most trucks over the years, I'd say the best bang for buck is the Gatekeeper, or if you plan to change quite a lot then the raw builders kit.
I've got a pretty built comp rig, not full LCG, but it's very very capable, I've recently built myself an Enduro builders kit and bought my girlfriend a Gatekeeper kit, I honestly find myself wanting to drive the Enduro more, it's capable of crawling, capable of a moderate beat down, nothing has broken yet, a nice moderate amount of overdrive in the box too, which is nice.
Everything on them just works good, this is my 6th Enduro.
I am not a fan of CMS, so I always move the servo to the axle, that definitely helps remove a good amount of sprung weight, gives you a more direct servo as well and a lower COG when you consider the weight of a servo, panhard mount, panhard link and servo mount... That's something I personally highly recommend to anyone, CMS is okay to take a picture or get points in comps, but honestly, I would still run SOA in comps.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The Ecto is another Enduro, with a few changes. Depending on driver and course who knows. For me the Enduros will out maneuver a TRX all day long but a TRX can climb and get over obstacles.

The ECTO has a smaller body. It is lighter and narrower, that can really help compared to the big fat heavy bodies the TRXs have. Even the sport body is big and heavy compared to the ECTO.

But once you starting upgrading and modifying things change.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:54 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Yeah but the rear is entirely different than regular enduro. It's what makes them outperform their previous versions and about anything else out of the box. I haven't been back in long enough to compare and gain a preference to things like axles lol. But driven a few different rigs and trx4 is on the list for sure.

Second crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TCS - Novak Goat Crawler Systems in stock @ TCScrawlers.com - The Crawler Store kevinlongisland Vendors Market 0 09-14-2007 09:34 AM