Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wider heavy duty truck axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wider heavy duty truck axles?

Does anybody know of extra wide axles that resemble the ones on a heavy truck? (Big and preferably metal) I need something a little wider than the standard scx10ii or TRX4 axles.

The track width with relatively small tires will be around 235mm, or 9 1/4 in.

Locking diffs would be nice to have if possible, but I doubt there are many options.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wider heavy duty truck axles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
Does anybody know of extra wide axles that resemble the ones on a heavy truck? (Big and preferably metal) I need something a little wider than the standard scx10ii or TRX4 axles.

The track width with relatively small tires will be around 235mm, or 9 1/4 in.

Locking diffs would be nice to have if possible, but I doubt there are many options.
I don't know what all is out there (I'd be interested to find out, myself) but I think if you want a "heavy duty" appearance with remote diffs and metal (capable) housing, a TRX axle with SSD portal deletes and wide hubs/hexes might be you're best option.

There might be a knockoff/no name option out there to suit your needs, but (in my experience) the TRX and SSD parts are tested and proven.

Unless you're okay with a "heavy duty" Baja style axle? And ~$200 per axle. Then you could try the RC4WD Rigid axles. They're ~9" pin to pin (iirc) approximately Axial AR60 width.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

SSD portal delete narrows the axles quite a bit. They work great, but maybe not the best for this application.

Take a look at HPI Wheely/Crawler King axles. Can still find them around with some digging and patience. Or just pick up a roller and rob them off. They use Wraith/SX10V1 diffs so they can be built open diff, limited, or locked, and with OD and UD options. Easily modded for pass through if needed, and certainly chunky enough. They are 205mm at the hex faces, compared to 180mm for SCX10 axles.

AR60's are always a good bet also - all of the above applies though maybe a bit too wide. They are 230mm at the hexes. You'd need wheels with a lot of positive offset.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
SSD portal delete narrows the axles quite a bit. They work great, but maybe not the best for this application.

Take a look at HPI Wheely/Crawler King axles. Can still find them around with some digging and patience. Or just pick up a roller and rob them off. They use Wraith/SX10V1 diffs so they can be built open diff, limited, or locked, and with OD and UD options. Easily modded for pass through if needed, and certainly chunky enough. They are 205mm at the hex faces, compared to 180mm for SCX10 axles.

AR60's are always a good bet also - all of the above applies though maybe a bit too wide. They are 230mm at the hexes. You'd need wheels with a lot of positive offset.
Now that you mention it, I remember having to buy wider hexes to push my TRX wheels back out to where I wanted them after the portal delete.

The HPI WK/CK would be an interesting choice. I didn't know they were compatible with the wraith diff. I kind of forgot they existed, too.

That got me thinking about my CEN Racing HL150 though. I think those axles might be wide enough and have open diffs but I haven't looked into upgradability/tunability.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking of SSD portal deletes on the TRX4 axle, I have one for the rear end of my trophy truck build that I'm working on. Pretty much bulletproof, only it is narrower than with the portals and I find that wheel hexes are hard to get perfectly straight.
They don't have to be straight axles, just something that looks heavy duty. Maybe I can pick up a set of metal housings and diff cover with way too many lug nuts.

I think some monster truck axles fit the look pretty well, only they might be too wide.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was thinking of SSD portal deletes on the TRX4 axle, I have one for the rear end of my trophy truck build that I'm working on. Pretty much bulletproof, only it is narrower than with the portals and I find that wheel hexes are hard to get perfectly straight.
They don't have to be straight axles, just something that looks heavy duty. Maybe I can pick up a set of metal housings and diff cover with way too many lug nuts.

I think some monster truck axles fit the look pretty well, only they might be too wide.
I'll take a rough measurement of the HL150 axle and edit this post after work. Maybe it'll suit your needs

Old 05-26-2022, 10:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

theres the xrmod width axles you would need aftermarket parts and a ar44 housing to do the mod and capra axles are in the same size range but with portals
ar60s are great axles if built right
rift axles are just a hair wider than the ar60s
then theres scx6 axles alot wider lol

its easyer to extend your track width than it is to narrow your axles
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Too bad these are discontinued, they would have been perfect. I have a set and they have been fairly well beaten on with no issues.

https://www.boomracingrc.com/boom-ra...ont-rear--3011
Old 05-27-2022, 07:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Too bad these are discontinued, they would have been perfect. I have a set and they have been fairly well beaten on with no issues.

theres still a few out there i havent been able to find the fronts yet but the rears are sill available fully built and the housings are still available
the front shafts are getting harder to find though not a big deal as wraith shafts cut down will work in a pinch to
Old 05-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Aww those look perfect.

I guess its time to start digging
Old 05-27-2022, 08:27 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Aww those look perfect.

I guess its time to start digging
i found them on ebay and asia tees there out of stock at atees so it looks like ebay lol
i lied though there not built they just come with rear shafts

the only issue with those is the wraith sized pumkin but you could mod a ar44 housing with beeftube parts to get that width and a smaller pumpkin it just costs more lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31220414679...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by ferp420; 05-27-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I found some of the XRmod axles on Ebay, are there any measurements on how wide they are hex to hex?
Old 05-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

At the hex faces (with Wraith style hexes) I measure 215mm.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:53 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
At the hex faces (with Wraith style hexes) I measure 215mm.
Thank you!

Wider heavy duty truck axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where are the Heavy Duty Axles ???????? Rig Rocker Axial XR10 12 02-21-2011 09:27 AM
Super Heavy Duty Rear Axles Rig Rocker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 24 05-26-2010 09:33 AM
FLM Heavy duty axles jaggededge Venom Creeper 4 01-06-2010 11:41 AM