Notices

Thread: 2 speed with 2wd\4wd?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2022, 09:53 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2 speed with 2wd\4wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Og Bruiser transmission had that feature iirc. A Losi comp crawler transmission can be converted to front/four/rear wheel drive ttansfer case.
thats right tamiya did that

old school if i recall it was a 3 speed and 1st gear was also 4wd and 2 and 3 were 2wd

and i think china copied it so it shouldent be that hard to find
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2022, 09:58 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

also a wraith trans with dig or 3 gear with dig could be set up backwards and use the neutral dig setting for the front axle instead of the rear alot cheaper
now if theres room use a wraith 2peed as a forward motor mount and the dig in the tcase might need to mod the case though so the shaft pokes out the other side of the trans its as easy as drilling a hole anyway use that as a tcase

then if you really want go with the remote locking diffs
Old 05-31-2022, 10:09 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
somewhere in the world there is a truck that when in 2wd is actually Front wheel drive..
im not sure i would call it a truck but thats how the old subaru 5peed duel range trans works fwd or locked 4wd
Old 05-31-2022, 10:49 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Default 2 speed with 2wd\4wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I liked 2wd with my VFD Twin at first, but without being able to unlock the front diff, it gets old pretty quick... doesn't want to turn at all. I briefly looked into a TRX4 front axle with portal delete to be able to unlock the front diff, but... **** traxxas.

2WD on the VFD twin is FWD, right?

Edit: dUh! you can just spin it around and get rear wheel

Old 05-31-2022, 10:59 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Default 2 speed with 2wd\4wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I'm not the one who's "mixed up". First, I'm not the one who used the term '2WD'...I specifically said 'FWD' and 'RWD'. Second, since when is FWD, or RWD, not the same as '2WD'...FWD is the same as 2WD, and RWD is the same as 2WD...but, again, I'm not the one who (in this thread) made the initial reference to '2WD'.
‘I never said 2WD, I only said RWD and FWD. oh, and since when does FWD & RWD not mean the same as 2WD, even though I just said they don’t mean the same thing…

Okay, I’m done..

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 05-31-2022 at 11:04 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:13 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
2WD on the VFD twin is FWD, right?

Edit: dUh! you can just spin it around and get rear wheel

The twin can run Fwd or Rwd. The 3 position on the dig, middle position gives you Fwd. The overdrive set on 3 position in the middle position gives you Rwd. But as we’ve also established.. they f**ked up and the twin has 46% od not the advertised 33%. Just so y’all know. That’s why I pulled it out of my speedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:40 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
The twin can run Fwd or Rwd. The 3 position on the dig, middle position gives you Fwd. The overdrive set on 3 position in the middle position gives you Rwd. But as we’ve also established.. they f**ked up and the twin has 46% od not the advertised 33%. Just so y’all know. That’s why I pulled it out of my speedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, okay. Good to know I’ll be able to run RWD in my next build. Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 05-31-2022, 11:52 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
also a wraith trans with dig or 3 gear with dig could be set up backwards and use the neutral dig setting for the front axle instead of the rear alot cheaper
now if theres room use a wraith 2peed as a forward motor mount and the dig in the tcase might need to mod the case though so the shaft pokes out the other side of the trans its as easy as drilling a hole anyway use that as a tcase

then if you really want go with the remote locking diffs
Lol I think I might be asking for a bit much if I want 2 speed with 4x4 and 4x2 and also remote locking diffs front and rear. I have never got to own one of the old tamiya hilux's so I thought the 2wd-4wd switch was the front hubs not in trans so thats good to know.

Maybe I was reading wrong but I thought the axial transmission gave you the choice to add EITHER a dig or 2nd gear not both. But then again I also thought when you went into 2wd with the dig it locked rear and front would drag it around but looks like there are 3 positions with the dig trans. 4x4, 4x2 with back wheels free rolling and 4x2 with rear wheels dragging. I would just have to spin it around to be the front axle that no longer got power, and the locked up would be interesting for burnouts lol. seriously though if dig and 2 speed can be equipped at same time that awesome. I think I'm reading part of your response as buy 2 transmissions, front mounted one with 2spd and center mounted one to use as a Transfercase with dig correct? It's an option but $$ starts adding up with purchase of 2 transmissions and then adding the 2spd to one and dig to the other.

Also your correct on the subaru thing, I also had a oddball turbo wagon with push button awd on top of 5spd shifter. Though I imagine the brat could be bought with the dual range so mini truck lol.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:44 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Lol I think I might be asking for a bit much if I want 2 speed with 4x4 and 4x2 and also remote locking diffs front and rear. I have never got to own one of the old tamiya hilux's so I thought the 2wd-4wd switch was the front hubs not in trans so thats good to know.

Maybe I was reading wrong but I thought the axial transmission gave you the choice to add EITHER a dig or 2nd gear not both. But then again I also thought when you went into 2wd with the dig it locked rear and front would drag it around but looks like there are 3 positions with the dig trans. 4x4, 4x2 with back wheels free rolling and 4x2 with rear wheels dragging. I would just have to spin it around to be the front axle that no longer got power, and the locked up would be interesting for burnouts lol. seriously though if dig and 2 speed can be equipped at same time that awesome. I think I'm reading part of your response as buy 2 transmissions, front mounted one with 2spd and center mounted one to use as a Transfercase with dig correct? It's an option but $$ starts adding up with purchase of 2 transmissions and then adding the 2spd to one and dig to the other.

Also your correct on the subaru thing, I also had a oddball turbo wagon with push button awd on top of 5spd shifter. Though I imagine the brat could be bought with the dual range so mini truck lol.
the wraith trans is ether or not both but if you have the room you can use 2 transmissions one as a motor mount and one as a transfer case
or just get the dig and go brushless

the brat will have a 4spd and some also had the duel range transfer gears most people swaped in the 5 speed duel range its a much better trans and still has true 4wd

the turdbo gl10 uses a more modern sti set up with full time all wheel drive and the push button locks the center diff and they run a 3.7 gear ratio instead of the 3.9 like most older roos
Old 06-01-2022, 06:47 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Forget 2 speeds, how about 3 with 2/4wd? Worked out great. I ran a limited slip front diff up front and locked out back. Crawls around ok, and hoons awesome in the highest gear and 2WD.

That only works in a big truck though. Going 1/10, a Bruiser trans is where it's at. I have a PG40whatever here (Bruiser clone) I am looking to adopt some other axles to...2WDHi, 4WDHi, 4WDLow, and TRX axles would give locking diffs. That would be fun to noodle around with for sure.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

The project I was thinking of is actually larger scale with AR60 clone axles and was trying to use 1:10 trans since its a more common setup and would maybe leave room for interior....hmm I do have an emaxx trans with dual 550's I could use up front then maybe wraith trans as transfer case. It gives me a direction to go in atleast. Locked rear and unlocked front is what I was planning but I could do the old earplug limited slip setup if want but this isn't going to be a crawler so probably be fine open.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The project I was thinking of is actually larger scale with AR60 clone axles and was trying to use 1:10 trans since its a more common setup and would maybe leave room for interior....hmm I do have an emaxx trans with dual 550's I could use up front then maybe wraith trans as transfer case. It gives me a direction to go in atleast. Locked rear and unlocked front is what I was planning but I could do the old earplug limited slip setup if want but this isn't going to be a crawler so probably be fine open.
ive built a few large scale ar60ed rigs the duel trans works good ive also done a custom duel motor transmission in to a 2peed wraith trans but i think a single revolver is a better option than 2 motors
Old 06-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

So I'll add my two cents here. The only rig in RC that has the ability to do both 2wd/4wd transfer case and 2spd is the BoomRacing BRX01/BRX02. While they don't have locking diffs you can use other axles if you wished. I'll post some pictures of the build I'm doing with the BRX01 with TRX4 front and rear locking axles and the Boomracing transfer case.
wolfsbone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:36 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Well as if they heard me asking this a video popped up on my "suggested" youtube category that was a oddball "Pinecone forest sg 1002"....yeah mouthful there but it has 2 speed and 4x4\2x4 mode, with 4x4 low\4x4 high\2x4 high. Pretty interesting for a desert truck style rig with IFS up front and solid axle rear. Only issue besides being a off brand china truck is it costs over $500 and I cant seem to find parts for it yet so no clue how much the trans would be out of it. I obviously am not going to be rushing to order one of these but very interesting timing on my part for starting this thread that I have been holding in for awhile now. If the transmission does become available and is cheap I might take the risk on it but will have to see more about it.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:14 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Theres a way to mod the front driveshaft so that it becomes 2wd/4wd, only it is manual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJmk2jcp_Q

It's pretty cheap and relatively easy to do though, so it might be what you're looking for?

Boom racing has 2WD/4WD Transfer case: https://www.boomracingrc.com/boom-ra...for-brx01-3485

It does require a separate transmission to be mounted up front, so it may or may not be very conventional. You can mount a 2 speed in front of it and connect them.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:12 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well as if they heard me asking this a video popped up on my "suggested" youtube category that was a oddball "Pinecone forest sg 1002"....yeah mouthful there but it has 2 speed and 4x4\2x4 mode, with 4x4 low\4x4 high\2x4 high. Pretty interesting for a desert truck style rig with IFS up front and solid axle rear. Only issue besides being a off brand china truck is it costs over $500 and I cant seem to find parts for it yet so no clue how much the trans would be out of it. I obviously am not going to be rushing to order one of these but very interesting timing on my part for starting this thread that I have been holding in for awhile now. If the transmission does become available and is cheap I might take the risk on it but will have to see more about it.

you might be referring to this little basher... looks great and seems to have good features and very good potential though agree with your comment about the price, parts, and chinesium quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZma_IxW9w

Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:42 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

The boom racing case is a decent price so thats an option. Just kicking around and was wondering if there was an all in one setup available that I didn't know about though its not a deal breaker either to run separate case.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
Theres a way to mod the front driveshaft so that it becomes 2wd/4wd, only it is manual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJmk2jcp_Q

It's pretty cheap and relatively easy to do though, so it might be what you're looking for?

Boom racing has 2WD/4WD Transfer case: https://www.boomracingrc.com/boom-ra...for-brx01-3485

It does require a separate transmission to be mounted up front, so it may or may not be very conventional. You can mount a 2 speed in front of it and connect them.
That manual locking driveshaft is so so awesome.... beautiful made

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:09 AM   #39

For switchable 2WD/4WD and 2 speed gearbox. Boomracing has you covered.

RWD/4WD transfer case https://www.boomracingrc.com/swd-tra...ase-kit-192012

hi/lo speed switchable gearbox https://www.boomracingrc.com/bcf2-2-...gearbox-205285

I eyed trhough the replies and i think no one said these. For the gearbox i think injora and various china-wonderland manufactureres may have two speed boxes for you too.
Orkekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:49 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

HGP407 transmission for about $89. High/Low and selectable 2wd/4wd
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote

2 speed with 2wd\4wd? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MAN 6 speed 6x6 (4WD+2WD trailer) psn Multi Axle Rigs 6 09-19-2017 12:24 PM
2wd Or 4wd murlin12 Non Crawler RC's 1 02-07-2013 08:22 AM
2wd and 4wd bigdodge88 General Scale Talk 23 11-10-2008 09:38 AM