Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: NEW: Redcat Gen9 Scale Trail Truck - 1:10 International Harvester Scout 800A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2023, 09:32 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default NEW: Redcat Gen9 Scale Trail Truck - 1:10 International Harvester Scout 800A

Redcat Gen9 Scale Trail Truck - 1:10 International Harvester Scout 800A

loads of nifty improvements...

https://www.redcatracing.com/products/gen9
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2023, 09:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: NEW: Redcat Gen9 Scale Trail Truck - 1:10 International Harvester Scout 800A

Pretty cool that it has 2 speed now. Couldn't find any differentce compared to rhe old one.pictures of anything else.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: NEW: Redcat Gen9 Scale Trail Truck - 1:10 International Harvester Scout 800A

Not gunna lie, I like it!!!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:41 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
loads of nifty improvements...
....over what ??? looks exactly like last years RGT contraption
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Interesting I only wish there were more pics of the interior.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nice new rig from Redcat.

But am I the only one who wishes more new 1.9s come with a straight axle option? How many portal-axled rigs do you see in the wild? For the scale guys, I'm sure that drives them crazy, too.
casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by casco_bay_rc View Post
Nice new rig from Redcat.

But am I the only one who wishes more new 1.9s come with a straight axle option? How many portal-axled rigs do you see in the wild? For the scale guys, I'm sure that drives them crazy, too.
As a "scale guys" myself, it absolutely drives me crazy.

If the end result is meant to look like a custom build, I can look past it. You can axle swap a custom rig all day long.

But the scale(ish), stock style bodied rigs should not have portals unless the 1:1 they're replicating has them. Like the Traxxas G-Wagons or the Axial UMG-10. (As long as you're not after super scale portals, anyway)

Unfortunately, portals are the "in" thing right now, I would imagine largely due to the success of the TRX trucks.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:48 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Assuming he is speaking about improvements over the Gen8.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:56 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Assuming he is speaking about improvements over the Gen8.
Looks like it might have new tires as well. Although still Intercos.
The first things I noticed were the tires, the now standard, double shear link mounts and the truck no longer being pregnant.
These do feel more like Gen8 revisions than a new generation of platform though.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
You might need to look a little closer. Aside from some of the axle parts, I don't see much of anything that's the same. The transmissions are completely different, the axle housings are different, and the chassis & plastics are all completely different.

So far I see the diff cover is the same, it looks like the lockers might be the same, and maybe some of the components in the portals.

Once I get access to a parts diagram or something along those lines I can do a more in-depth analysis to see how similar they are, but so far it doesn't seem to extend beyond some of the generic parts.

It's no secret that RGT and Redcat use the same OEM (HSP), and a lot of the generic parts are shared. The Gen7 was essentially a rebranded HSP, but the Gen8 was a Redcat design which levereged some of the existing RGT parts/components. The Gen9 seems to be the same way.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 01-09-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Apparently the 2speed is compatible with the Gen8. Would absolutely love that for my purple 4Runner.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Updated knockoff of a trx4 with that awesome redcat quality no doubt.

Watched WAY too many gen 7 & 8s break gears and shafts in the trans and diffs to want to waste any amount of cash on one.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

Watched WAY too many gen 7 & 8s break gears and shafts in the trans and diffs to want to waste any amount of cash on one.
it must be because our East Coast rocks are smooth and not very grippy, because about the only time I've ever broken a crawler was when I did stupid stuff. My Gen7 and my Gen8 have never broken any significant parts. Nor has my Bomber, my Yeti, or my Enduro. The only crawler I've broken parts on was my Barrage, and even then it was just the cheap plastic lockers that failed, and I was in California at the time, crawling on those ridiculously grippy volcanic rocks.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:50 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
it must be because our East Coast rocks are smooth and not very grippy, because about the only time I've ever broken a crawler was when I did stupid stuff. My Gen7 and my Gen8 have never broken any significant parts. Nor has my Bomber, my Yeti, or my Enduro. The only crawler I've broken parts on was my Barrage, and even then it was just the cheap plastic lockers that failed, and I was in California at the time, crawling on those ridiculously grippy volcanic rocks.

No traction no breakage. We have traction around here so weak parts show themselves in short order.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:51 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I have a dear friend in NC with both 7 and 8 Redcats, and I've never seen nor heard him complain about broken drivetrain parts. He puts them through the wringer, too.

I suppose some folks are harder on their equipment than others. But, it's not fair to broadly generalize failures for those who are interested in the new 9.
casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:47 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

ive got the v1 gen8 and even as a gen1 first run of the gen8s before they upgraded everything its been a rock my wraith broke every run till every single part was upgraded

the redcat has been solid i did upgrade a few parts but mostly cause i wanted to not because the parts broke i still have the original gears too

my ryft axles just ate the ring and pinnion gears both front and rear on the first run

my trx4 breakes every other run its down right now cause i snaped a damb shock tower again thats 2 now its also eaten gears and axle shafts so traxxaaassss isent any better than redcat as far as durabulity goes

redcat quality is better than axial used to be and at this time its about the same as all the others maybe better

there designs leave a bit to be desired though but there working the that out

the gen7 was about as durable as the og scx10 i cant tell you how many og axle shafts ive snapped even vanquish cvds were junk alot my everest 10 is about 7 years old still has the original axle shafts
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by casco_bay_rc View Post
I have a dear friend in NC with both 7 and 8 Redcats, and I've never seen nor heard him complain about broken drivetrain parts. He puts them through the wringer, too.

I suppose some folks are harder on their equipment than others. But, it's not fair to broadly generalize failures for those who are interested in the new 9.
Life isn't fair. Would you rather know that a brand has issues before laying down your cash? I sure would.

I've seen so much redcat breakage around me I've never considered them a viable option even for a noob. If you're short on cash buy a used rig from a quality manufacturer.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:00 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
ive got the v1 gen8 and even as a gen1 first run of the gen8s before they upgraded everything its been a rock my wraith broke every run till every single part was upgraded

the redcat has been solid i did upgrade a few parts but mostly cause i wanted to not because the parts broke i still have the original gears too

my ryft axles just ate the ring and pinnion gears both front and rear on the first run

my trx4 breakes every other run its down right now cause i snaped a damb shock tower again thats 2 now its also eaten gears and axle shafts so traxxaaassss isent any better than redcat as far as durabulity goes

redcat quality is better than axial used to be and at this time its about the same as all the others maybe better

there designs leave a bit to be desired though but there working the that out

the gen7 was about as durable as the og scx10 i cant tell you how many og axle shafts ive snapped even vanquish cvds were junk alot my everest 10 is about 7 years old still has the original axle shafts

I must have a miracle trx4 then. I've broken 2 things on it in 4 years, a spur gear and the panhard mount on the front axle. I was just out jumping over a road last weekend (Holmes 3500xl on 4s with 5.4" boggers, it rips) and caught a bad landing which took out the panhard mount.

I watched a guy take out portal gears, axles shafts, locker and ring & pinion on a gen 8. That was impressive carnage even by my standards. All the redcat guys in my comp series sold out and bought 10.2s after that.

There was 1 holdout that had a gen 8 with everything down to the chassis swapped out
He killed something in an axle one day so I made him a deal on trx4 axles. He kept the redcat fmm setup until he lost a shaft in one comp and a couple trans gears the next so now all that redcat junk is gone so he's competitive again. You can't finish first if you don't finish.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:31 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I refuse Redcat because they are a Far East knockoff brand, who somehow managed to put on the guise of someone reputable. The Gen7 stuff is all garbage, down to the inability to properly knockoff another company and just steal their geometry. Everything is a little thinner, a little flimsier.
I was once tricked by internet reviews into purchasing a Wendigo, and it is unquestionably the worst decision I've ever made. I was going to say RC-wise, but I think it floats to the top of "like decisions in total."

There's a reason Redcat will sell you the rig so cheap, and the parts even cheaper-- they've created a fantastic false economy, where you can take a Gen7 for 229 or a PRO for 279 (look how inexpensive!) and all it takes to make them reliable/durable is to drop $300 into it. How Redcat rose to a level where they're even discussed as an option in the US is baffling, as companies like MST, Cross, and Carisma sit out on the fringe making significantly better products.

The only thing I expect from the Gen9 is a price increase, as Redcat has stepped all the way through the doorway into the realm of delusion. (quick Google) So $399 for a Gen9. Let me think of better options... oh, I dunno... literally anything without Redcat in the name?
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:34 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I must have a miracle trx4 then. I've broken 2 things on it in 4 years, a spur gear and the panhard mount on the front axle. I was just out jumping over a road last weekend (Holmes 3500xl on 4s with 5.4" boggers, it rips) and caught a bad landing which took out the panhard mount.

I watched a guy take out portal gears, axles shafts, locker and ring & pinion on a gen 8. That was impressive carnage even by my standards. All the redcat guys in my comp series sold out and bought 10.2s after that.

There was 1 holdout that had a gen 8 with everything down to the chassis swapped out
He killed something in an axle one day so I made him a deal on trx4 axles. He kept the redcat fmm setup until he lost a shaft in one comp and a couple trans gears the next so now all that redcat junk is gone so he's competitive again. You can't finish first if you don't finish.
i beat the snot out of my gen 8 it hasent broke i drive it the same as my trx4 that is now broken and the ryft was babbied and still ate 2 ring and pinnion gears on the first run that was 2 days ago

i live in the rock racing capatol of the world so im not running some wussy comp course im out on the real sherbert on the worlds hardest rock trails when my rig takes a tumble it can be hundreads of feet down no little bump off a jump here

sounds like your freind had a screw loose that cause his issues with the redcat they havent figured out how to use locktight yet so like all cheap rigs you have to take them apart and check everything especially the little tiny screw in the end of the pinnion shaft that like to come loose and eat parts nothing a tiny drop of locktight dident fix
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

NEW: Redcat Gen9 Scale Trail Truck - 1:10 International Harvester Scout 800A - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Gen8 International Scout II Crawling Actions ULTRA4EVER Videos! 0 10-07-2019 12:15 AM
REDCAT RC GEN 8 INTERNATIONAL SCOUT II CRAWLER TEST (how's it do?) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-01-2019 01:15 PM
Wooden International Harvester pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 0 03-22-2016 12:09 PM
Grimsock's Sawback/International Harvester Build Grimsock G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2014 09:37 PM
Scout 800A thumper68 1.9 Scale Rigs 45 06-20-2010 09:49 AM