Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Axial AX24 scorpion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default New Axial AX24 scorpion

Axial seems to this is the fastest growing segment in RC right now but I think they missed the ball. Just personal opinion
What do you guys think?

https://www.axialadventure.com/produ.../AXI00003.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2023, 10:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Axial AX24 scorpion

I saw the release on IG and the comment section was brutal ... not much excitement to be honest ... I am more towards the scale oriented portion of the crawlers but I recently got a bit into the performance side and I can tell you that after watching a couple release videos I can see what they are doing ... I think is pretty smart expanding the horizon for their existing platform .. same axles and likely transmission, links and skid plate ... all they are doing is giving more options to use the existing platform. I can also see a nice small comp course with a few of these around and that could be a fun small comp crawler scene if wanted. I have a couple of 24's already and to be honest I wish those were more performance oriented like this one, they probably would get driven more to be honest. The 1/10 scale is more enjoyable for SCALE appearance IMHO.

Last edited by Speedy-Triple; 01-19-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:57 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The 4WS is kinda cool with the three transmitter-activated modes. Sounds like it should be easy to switch between rear steering modes.

I'd like to see some micro MOA axles. Not necessarily from Axial or on this rig but just in general.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I prefer performance over scale, and even though I don’t dig the other 1/24 scale rigs, I’m interested in this one.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Its alright looking. Nothing to be excited about. I do like the 4ws, something somewhat different and cool. Wish it had a different body. Glad to see I'm not the only one that's not excited for this new release.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have to admit that I kind of thought the UTB-18 would be a flop, but boy was I wrong on that one. We have such a variety these days, and taking a risk on a weird little truck like this keeps things interesting at least. I hope it's not a total flop; I like that companies like Axial are willing to try something like this. The bouncy little SCX24s have been huge. Around Christmas I was at my local hobby shop, and I counted hundreds of them on the shelves. In the week before Christmas, customers had cleaned them out almost entirely. I could scarcely believe it.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

Personally, I am not into it. I was hoping the release would be either a Basecamp kit or a 1.9 U4 rig.

The 1/24 scale stuff doesn't work for me. Too small to be really capable, too small to enjoy working on. Maybe I need small hands and better eyes...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The Losi MRC was the only 1/24 I've owned and that thing was kind of a pain. . Still have it sitting on a shelf, but nothing has worked on it in over 10 years. This new Axial release gives me flashbacks haha

https://www.losi.com/product/1-24-mi.../LOSB0236.html
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
... too small to enjoy working on. Maybe I need small hands and better eyes...
Your'e absolutely correct; I dislike working on the 1:24 stuff. Tiny screws; cramped space... It's brutal.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Well it's not for me, but I'm sure there will be enough people that do find it to be a cool little rig. Not a release the I expected to see. I can say though after seeing a couple vids it does look neat and the rear steer seems to work good. Nice to see a larger transmitter included with the RTR too. But I don't see me picking one up anytime soon.

I know, from what I hear, that the new releases are planned way in advance, sometimes years, and Axial had no way of knowing what the current market and buyers are wanting. Right now, IMO, the Traxxas 1/18 Bronco and Defender is on fire now and most are in the search to get their hands on them. The TRX-4m is fun to drive and more closely resembles the 1/10 scale in drivability and performance. And they are much easier to work on than the 1/24's.

I think Axial needs to take a harder look at the 1/18 scale size trail rigs. I think they would have a winner on their hands if they could come out with a mini version of the Basecamp. Who knows, they may be already in the works in designing one!
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:25 PM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Your'e absolutely correct; I dislike working on the 1:24 stuff. Tiny screws; cramped space... It's brutal.
Right? M3 screws are small enough...geez
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Traxxas 1/18 Bronco and Defender is on fire now and most are in the search to get their hands on them. The TRX-4m is fun to drive and more closely resembles the 1/10 scale in drivability and performance. And they are much easier to work on than the 1/24's.

I think Axial needs to take a harder look at the 1/18 scale size trail rigs. I think they would have a winner on their hands if they could come out with a mini version of the Basecamp. Who knows, they may be already in the works in designing one!
My LHS cannot keep the trx4m in stock. It's never there.

I quite like the size of Axials 1/18 Capra. I haven't checked out the construction but would assume it uses the same size hardware as a 1/10 rig

Last edited by smog; 01-20-2023 at 03:47 PM.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Bmow, Iím with you. I picked up a trx4m bronco and it is way nicer than my 24 gladiator. Weighs about twice as much, drives nicer just all the way around. I have zero desire to have a fleet of micros or spend astronomical amounts of money on one but if I had to choose only one it would be the trx4m and thatís the only Traxxas in my crawler fleet

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:04 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Matt from Scale Builders Guild has a review up on this now.

https://youtu.be/l5SNR1_-AKE
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:52 AM   #14

I do agree, the comments were rather brutal and direct. I really enjoy my TRX4m. I personally don’t have much for the 4ws. The scale is ok but doesn’t seem to have a high amount of detail which is what people were commenting on in the IG post.
Runnin2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:38 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Just bought one! Canít wait to get it on Tuesday. Happy Valentines to me! Also got the brass knuckles, skid plate, and hex adapters. Already looking at better motors. Any suggestions?

Steve Hipsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:44 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hipsley View Post
Just bought one! Canít wait to get it on Tuesday. Happy Valentines to me! Also got the brass knuckles, skid plate, and hex adapters. Already looking at better motors. Any suggestions?

MOFO RC torquebeast 30 is a direct replacement.
I have one coming this week. Check my ax24 thread in micro section.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:21 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I have really been enjoying mine, I put a set of Injora shocks on it, and what a world of difference. It got rid of the bouncy body roll that made it look like it was having a seizure. I think this is the most capable straight from the box1/24 that Axial has made so far.
Doom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:06 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I just can't get into 1/24 stuff. My SCX24 rx/esc lasted about 4 packs before it went out and I didnt enjoy it enough to mess with fixing it. I am kind of interested in the 1/18 Traxxas. Its actually big enough that it could possibly be fun.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:05 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I just can't get into 1/24 stuff. My SCX24 rx/esc lasted about 4 packs before it went out and I didnt enjoy it enough to mess with fixing it. I am kind of interested in the 1/18 Traxxas. Its actually big enough that it could possibly be fun.
The TRX4m's are fun too. Not really that big of a difference in size but the hard bodies sway a lot of people. I like the portability of my mini crawlers. Great for lunch breaks and travel. Of course I still love my 1/10 crawlers too.
Doom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #20

I really feel like I am missing something with the 24th scale. I bought one, and the rx only starts up every 4-5th switch cycle and it is useless outside. I know it is stock, but I have a box stock TRX4 that has a mcbillion packs through it just hiking with my wife. The SCX24 is fun once and a while crawling over the dog bed.

Not complaining at all I really think if I put heavy wheels on it the machine would have half a chance.

I also just got to play with the TRX4M and it is a whole different machine. It actually seems capable, but it is definitely larger.

I think going to a shop with a 24th scale course may change my mind...

Thanks Ross
Ross413 is offline   Reply With Quote

New Axial AX24 scorpion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Scorpion obxbronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-02-2014 07:05 PM
axial scorpion colonelangus Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 08-23-2007 08:51 PM