Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Pro VS Pheonix which 1 to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2023, 05:01 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 Pro VS Pheonix which 1 to get?

I'm ready for a new truck.
Should I get the SCX10 Pro or the Phoenix rtr?
Just trail runs. Our trail is 3hrs long. No comps.
I can't decide.
Thanks
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2023, 08:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 Pro VS Pheonix which 1 to get?

Curious as to why you are comparing/considering an RTR against a kit. If you want to "buy & go", both should be RTRs...and, if you want to build, and select your own electronics, both should be kits. Just saying..........

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Aside from the why, the pro is likely going to cost around (at least) double by the time you finish it unless you already have all the electronics, wheels, tires, body, etc needed to build it.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Neither. They both come with a dumb transmission that's too big and sloppy to be good that has a selectable overdrive nobody that knows anything bothers to use.

I'd grab a trx4 but not a sport because there is too much fun to be had on trails with the selectable lockers and hi/low for sections where either is appropriate.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:05 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
I'm ready for a new truck.
Should I get the SCX10 Pro or the Phoenix rtr?
Just trail runs. Our trail is 3hrs long. No comps.
I can't decide.
Thanks
The Phoenix is a great truck for a mix of bootin around trails and crawling rock features. If you aren’t competing a few extra grams of weight can be well worth the transmission features IF they interest you(emphasize if) Personally I would stay away from an lcg flat rail like the scx pro unless you are planning to hit the slab rock and get into comp style crawling where you need the competitive advantage of the angled skid.

There are ways to lower the cog on a c-channel rig if you want to obtain better performance. Toothpick bodied flat rail chassis don’t belong on trails
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

All good points Thank you for the responding

Panther; no worries these are just the 2 trucks that interest me at the moment. Kit or rtr doesn't matter to me.

bgredjeep; I have plenty of electronics new and used, plenty of wheels and tires and a few new bodies no worries on cost. Heck I've been giving my bro parts and a truck or 2.

Whitetrash; I really like that statement on the transmissions. As I feel the same way. TRX4 sport I broke the rear spool. Already had a set of trx4 locking diff axles. Put a washer on the diff to keep it from unlocking. Great truck I've beat the crap out of it.

smog; I wondered about that flat rail. Is it strong enough? Flex? Not a whole lot of rock where we crawl/trail. So that may just kick it out.

2 guys are running Vanquish rigs. Great trucks.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:09 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

My vote is for the Phoenix. Great rig right out of the box and it is Vanquish quality.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have zero experience with the scx10 pro, but just based on how you intend to use it, I’d get the Phoenix.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #9
RCC Addict

My go to rig is my phoenix portal, in a gspeed v3 chassis. It just works! I rarely use o/d, but dig comes in handy. The motor sitting low n fwd helps keep the front end down on steep inclines. Me n my buddys do alot of trailing, but theres alot of rock to climb where we go as well. Just had ECC last weekend at our crawl spot

Whitetrash, hows the vfd tiwn a dumb transmission? Because it has selectable o/d? Of dig? Which is locked out on the rtr, but has the option to b functional. Its not to big n its definantly not to sloppy. Have u looked into how one is built? The gearset sits back on the skid like the trx4 n axial 3gear does, just has a longer shaft for the top gear. The motor definantly sits lower than the trx4 does, so cog is much lower. U mention the vfd 'twin' having selectable/shifting abilities, 'that nobody thats knows anything bothers to use', but wat about the 2 speed trx4 trans? Not everybody knows how or even uses the 2 spd correctly. The o/d in the twin is nice at times. Dont rightfully need the high o/d when blasting down a trail, just like u dont want low gear in the trx4 when blasting down a trail. But the high o/d comes in handy on climbs, just like low gear in the trx4. Kinda contradicting, imo... The locking/unlocking diff in the trx4, just somethin else to fail on the trail. N yes ive had a trx4, didnt like the performance of it, but the locked version of the axles are nice. Have a set thats been swapped between multiple builds. They take a beating, as does the f10s from the phoenix.

That being said, the vfd 'twin' is a bit overated. Do u really need selectable o/d, probably not. I dont shift mine very often, but i do use it from time to time. The dig is nice to have though, i use it quite often. VP should release a phoenix with the regular vfd n f10 portals. I, along withany others, think it would be a great setup n a good seller at that.

Back to the question at hand, im with twade. Ive not run the scx pro, but the phoenix is a win in my book
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just got thru talking with 1 of the guys we run with. He has 2 str's and loves them. So I'm leaning more to the Phoenix.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
My go to rig is my phoenix portal, in a gspeed v3 chassis. It just works! I rarely use o/d, but dig comes in handy. The motor sitting low n fwd helps keep the front end down on steep inclines. Me n my buddys do alot of trailing, but theres alot of rock to climb where we go as well. Just had ECC last weekend at our crawl spot

Whitetrash, hows the vfd tiwn a dumb transmission? Because it has selectable o/d? Of dig? Which is locked out on the rtr, but has the option to b functional. Its not to big n its definantly not to sloppy. Have u looked into how one is built? The gearset sits back on the skid like the trx4 n axial 3gear does, just has a longer shaft for the top gear. The motor definantly sits lower than the trx4 does, so cog is much lower. U mention the vfd 'twin' having selectable/shifting abilities, 'that nobody thats knows anything bothers to use', but wat about the 2 speed trx4 trans? Not everybody knows how or even uses the 2 spd correctly. The o/d in the twin is nice at times. Dont rightfully need the high o/d when blasting down a trail, just like u dont want low gear in the trx4 when blasting down a trail. But the high o/d comes in handy on climbs, just like low gear in the trx4. Kinda contradicting, imo... The locking/unlocking diff in the trx4, just somethin else to fail on the trail. N yes ive had a trx4, didnt like the performance of it, but the locked version of the axles are nice. Have a set thats been swapped between multiple builds. They take a beating, as does the f10s from the phoenix.

That being said, the vfd 'twin' is a bit overated. Do u really need selectable o/d, probably not. I dont shift mine very often, but i do use it from time to time. The dig is nice to have though, i use it quite often. VP should release a phoenix with the regular vfd n f10 portals. I, along withany others, think it would be a great setup n a good seller at that.

Back to the question at hand, im with twade. Ive not run the scx pro, but the phoenix is a win in my book

Dig is handy in a trail trans but selectable overdrive is stupid and both VP and the scxpro use the same worthless setup. All those gears in the trans wear and cause slop. It's annoying to have so much slop in the drivetrain that the rig can roll an inch in either direction.

I had a trx4 for 6 years and beating it like I hated it on decent brushless 4s power I took out a shift collar in the trans, a spur gear and the link/pan hard mount on the axle jumping it across a road repeatedly. Lockers never gave me an issue, my brother has the truck now and it's beat at least as hard now with his grandkids yeeting it off of everything.

How can someone know how to drive a rig yet not know how to use a 2 speed? Want to go fast, use high gear. Want to go slow use low.

Overdrive will always work for you unless you're hauling ass then the only thing it does is cause the rear to bounce along being drug by the front axle. Everything I have but my slashes has 50% or better front overdrive. Trails or competition it doesn't matter, it all gets the same treatment.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Ive beat the crap out of my phoenix well ober a yr n it comes back for more. It went off a 60ft cliff, ripped 2 rod ends, the body just a tad, rock rashed the crap out of a wheel n tore a tire. I run 4s only, n it backflips easily off trees n rocks. Im not easy on it by no means. The only issue ive had from the trans is a chipped tooth on one gear, half a tooth at that. Never did find the piece the broke off. All the bearings spin like new, dawgs slide perfectly, no loose movement in the housings or the shafts.

I do agree that the selectable o/d is overrated. But even in the higher o/d, it bombs down the trail with no issue. N with a good brushless setup, u dont rightfully need a 2 spd trans. My capra with axial 3 gear n ar45 straight axles, has a mamba x n slate 2850kv, n its a bit to quick, but creeps beautifully.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I think the pro would've been better served with w dig option over the under drive.
I've been pondering on going to 4s. Good to know the Phoenix can handle it.
I have a Gmade gso2f military. It has slop in the trans also. Not a fan of that slop. It's the only 2 Spd trk that I have.
A yr of beating and just broke a gear that's awesome.
I've watched so many videos on the pro and every video it seems get hung up on break over.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I don't have any experience with the Pro but I do have a Phoenix. Love the Phoenix and just a great fun trail rig overall. I haven't had any issues and I don't use the the selectable OD very often. On our last trail, I left it alone and used 2 1800 3s packs. No issues. I have the 1800 Fusion on it and absolutely love the way it drives. I also added some Incision steelies on it w/ Proline Hyrax G8 w/ stock foams. Does everything I need it to do without hiccups. The only downside is the shocks do leak quite often but I don't mind rebuilding them. Pretty fun and reliable kit. I want to put a diff body on it so I will most likely remove the inner fenders and run body posts. Haven't quite decided.
My son loves his TRX4 and he prefers and loves the 2 speed on it since he loves to bash it. That kit is absolutely indestructible. Even the stock shocks haven't leaked although I've rebuilt it with Green Slime on the O-rings for added reliability. I put a 2300 Fusion Pro on that and the thing flies. The only mods are front OD, Proline Hyrax G8's w/ dual stage foams, absolutely no added brass, Savox servo, Rock Pirates sliders, Vanquish wheels, and battery up front.
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:32 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have both.

Do you plan on doing comps? Hands down Pro, no question. The Phoenix is great but it can't compete with other comp rigs the way the Pro does, but I consider the Pro mainly a comp truck despite some trailing it.

In any other case, I would get the Phoenix. It's a better value for a trail truck and is more suited to that type of driving.

Neither have sloppy transmissions.

Last edited by Shinook; 05-29-2023 at 07:49 PM.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:04 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well I was planning on getting the rtr.
A local guy had a 2 run Phoenix kit build for sale. HW Axe 2800kv, DX5C tx with 515 rx, 3 AGRC servos and extra nip BGF tires.
It's mine now.

SCX10 Pro VS Pheonix which 1 to get? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally, a first Drive of my Pheonix HMNYC Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 3 02-10-2023 05:50 AM
Travel Dates? and two rides from Pheonix. Highlucks Past Events 8 08-23-2013 05:44 PM
pheonix area robbio4422 Arizona 12 03-01-2009 09:13 PM
The PHEONIX Goes 4 link upgate 2/12/04 BDR Traxxas Crawlers 4 12-02-2004 06:20 PM