Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Backyard crawling areas...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default Backyard crawling areas...

For those of you that have backyard areas, how big are they.

I'm going to build a course this spring, want somthing nicer than the rip rap I had at the house last time around.

Thinking I might bring a truckload home from SFR3.

Anway, what's your spot like?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

well i don't have pics now since its all under construction. but my area is ummm i say 40ft. wide x about 60 ft( rough guess, may be a bit bigger).. by the time im done, i will have a couple waterfalls, a winding creek running through all the way into the pond ;)
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have a drainage creek in my back yard. It is pretty nasty as far a terrain goes. Lots of boken up concreat and rip rap. along with the odd rebar and junk. I think there is most of an inground pool dumped down there. The climb up the bank to my back yard is really a chalange almost too steep to walk up. I have about 100 yards of good usable bank right now but this summer it should be much more as the water levals drop.
Link to pics. anything labeled home turff is my back yard creek
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/neonrc.../ph//my_photos

Other pics http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/neonrc.../ph//my_photos
stlcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
2006 2.2 National Champ

This is in the park right outside my front door. It's pretty fun, the rocks are set-up on a fairly steep slope. So it gains elevation fast. You can see my rig on top of the pile.
Attached Images

BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
well i don't have pics now since its all under construction. but my area is ummm i say 40ft. wide x about 60 ft( rough guess, may be a bit bigger).. by the time im done, i will have a couple waterfalls, a winding creek running through all the way into the pond ;)
That's a good sized area. I'm building a pond right now with a creek too and that's where I plan on eventually having the rocks. I've been lucky in finding some good sized rocks when I was digging out the pond with the bobcat. So far, the area I'm using now for the rocks is only about 15 x 15 ft. and it gets old pretty quick.

I think the hardest part is finding some good sized rocks that are challenging. I 've found two that are pretty fun. Really that's the only two that I climb on. I don't really have a good "trail"because the little rocks get old . So maybe try to be selective on the size/shape of the rocks you get. Here's my favorite ones so far. If you look closely in the first pic, you can see the rubber on top of the rock from trying to get up.

magicmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
This is in the park right outside my front door. It's pretty fun, the rocks are set-up on a fairly steep slope. So it gains elevation fast. You can see my rig on top of the pile.
That's an awesome spot with some nice sized rocks.
magicmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:47 PM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmudder
That's an awesome spot with some nice sized rocks.
Thanks I wish it was actually mine, it'd be nice to have some smaller rocks to fill some of the bigger gaps. That would give it a lot more lines, I may have to sneak some in. I wonder if the city would mind?

Last edited by BENDER; 02-28-2005 at 01:09 AM.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmudder
That's a good sized area. I'm building a pond right now with a creek too and that's where I plan on eventually having the rocks. I've been lucky in finding some good sized rocks when I was digging out the pond with the bobcat. So far, the area I'm using now for the rocks is only about 15 x 15 ft. and it gets old pretty quick.

I think the hardest part is finding some good sized rocks that are challenging. I 've found two that are pretty fun. Really that's the only two that I climb on. I don't really have a good "trail"because the little rocks get old . So maybe try to be selective on the size/shape of the rocks you get.

Yeah i started off with a size of about 15ft x 15ft and i was always changing rocks around because it got old so fast. but i run heavy equipment for a living, so I have rocks that range anywhere from 6" ( to help fill in some gaps) up to about 4ft in diameter.I also have alot of flat rock from where i have made my waterfalls. the newest flat rock i just found is about 2 1/2ft. wide x 3 1/2ft long x 1.5" thick and that will probably be used as the last waterfall into the pond ;)
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Here's my totally sic area in my backyard. It's like a 30 degree slope to it on the left side. Tree roots popping up and everything. I drew a line that shows the totally sic line I like to take.

The one of the creek is the crawling area at my parents house. Theres like 50 acres or so behind their house, and another couple hundred across the street. Big creek that runs into the Ohio river that runs through the property.
Attached Images

AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
RCC Addict

ill get pics of my crawl spot in my back yard this week end. its huge
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Me and my son are slowly building a spot. When it's done,if it ever gets there,it'll be about 40'x about 80 or 90'. I've got a bank behind the house that my wife wants covered in rock so we don't have to mow it anymore. I really hate it that she chose rock instead of stupid flowers and crap I live on an 80 acre farm thats got a good size creekbed that flows throught it. The entire creekbed is full of rocks from the size of my Toyota to gravel sized pebbles. I've actually taken my Toyota crawling in this creekbed and was quite fun in places,just to give an idea how big it is. So far we've gotten 2 loads in the back of my Dodge and we've come up with this so far..........

Most of these rocks are about the same size as my Twin and some about twice as big. This area,kinda looks small but it's actually about 20' long and starts at a point and gets to about 5' wide,kind of a triangle shape. It does get a bit boring after a good run. When we get more loads of rock and cover more it will get better and better. Heres a shot of about 2/3's of the bank behind the house.

Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have a drainage creek at the back of my yard. It's a fairly good testing site,probably about twelve yards of rock to actually climb on. It's on a slight grade so up hill can be a challenge. I also work for a county that does its own road maintence so we have piles of rocks that they line creeks and ditches with. I'm eager to try one of these piles but haven't had the time yet.
kwj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:30 PM   #13
R.I.P. Chip

My area isn't all that big, but the rock have been stacked and placed just right so that you can hit it from just about any direction and have good courses. I have a good mix of verts, cracks, diffhangers, ect. It's all in how you setup the cones as to how hard mine is, there are still some lines that no one has made.

We've had several comps there and probably 10-15 guys from here have run on it, never had any complaints that it was too easy. But Dirk has cried plenty about it being too hard

For just messing around, it gets crowded with any more than 3 or four guys.

I have a ton of space to buil onto it, but just to lazy to go load my truck up with rock. A bunch of the guys have said they'd help so we could have an awsome comp course, I may take them up on it one of these days.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Well I don't have an area in my backyard but I agree that mowwing grass sucks and rocking it in might be nice... then I can let the round-up and crossbow do all the work..... but here is my play area just a few minutes away from the house.

It probably 75 feet wide by 800 feet long of sharp JAGGED ROCK.
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Mine is about 5' wide by 50' long. All slickrock. Its on the side of a hill with an elevation change of about 3 feet.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

My backyard spot...

Still under construction, needs more rocks and some tlc. It's frozen and covered with snow now. I can't wait for Spring!

Joe

Last edited by kona_joe; 02-28-2005 at 04:11 PM.
kona_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I wish I had a backyard spot to crawler in. The real purpose of my build-up is to keep up with some of my friends.
ttrmike is offline   Reply With Quote