Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC10 to a Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC10 to a Crawler

Ok.. did a search.. didn't find the answer I wanted..lol.
Can a RC10 GT (electric) be used for a "mutt" Crawler?

I have been giving the opportunity to pivck one up relatively cheap and I'm wonder it if will be worth it.

I was going to go the Emaxx route and somewhat follow Toy (jeremy)'s buildup since he's kinda my neighbor..haha.

anyway.. any advice,help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Rufies97XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default Re: RC10 to a Crawler

It must not be a GT if it is electric, or it has been converted to electric. I don't think the RC10 GT has enough flex in the a-arms like a e-maxx does. I have both a GT and a T4 and the T4 has much longer a-arms and more flex as well. How would you gear the tranny down?

Anything is possible with a good imagination (which I do not have). I would love to see it, since the RC10 series is my favorite RC's.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well.. thats just it.. i do not know a lot about the truck... he has a gas and Electric RC!).. soo.. I get both for cheap.

Not sure what I would do about gearing.. all new to this.. completely...
Basiaclly... I want to know.. if I would be able to use anything off the RC10 to make the purchase worthwhile..
Imagination.... well... I hope we can figure something out..HAHA
Old 06-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

Badger,

what we were wondering is can the radio equipment, esc,trans and other Misc stuff be used.. one of the trucks is a nitro and the other is a T3 i believe.. i have used my stampede trans and turned it sideways for one of my crawlers and locked the diff..I was wondering if i could do the same with this trans( on the electric truck) i have not seen a rc10 in person so i don't know. we will not be using the chassis and a-arms off the rc10- just the electronics and trans( if its possible).. he wants something like my Widow project, so everything else will be custom made.. he just found a hell of a deal on this stuff and we were wondering if it would even be worth the time.

how strong is the trans in the t3? do they have any aftermarket metal gears? will the ESC handle a MM motor with a redustion unit( if possible)all the info on these trucks is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the help guys
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

also, what pitch are the gears( spur and pinion).. i seen a couple places that had 110 tooth spur gears,125 spur gear. but they were 64 pitch i think. also seen some 48 pitch gears for them
Old 06-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

yea.. what he said..lol
Old 06-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Ace built a 2.2 crawler by machining a set of bruiser size axles and using a stealth tranny from a RC10 turned sideways as the center transmission. That worked really good.
If you cant make yer own axles (who can?), using the RC10 gearbox as a tranny to a set of TXT, Maxx, or X factor axles will work. I got a friend building a crawler with EMaxx axles and a RC10 center tranny. Some RC10's have a lower gearing than others. They say that the one with a 4:1 reduction is the one to use.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
Ace built a 2.2 crawler by machining a set of bruiser size axles and using a stealth tranny from a RC10 turned sideways as the center transmission. That worked really good.
If you cant make yer own axles (who can?), using the RC10 gearbox as a tranny to a set of TXT, Maxx, or X factor axles will work. I got a friend building a crawler with EMaxx axles and a RC10 center tranny. Some RC10's have a lower gearing than others. They say that the one with a 4:1 reduction is the one to use.
Thanks grizzly how do i go about finding out which tranny it has though( reduction wise)? he will be using a set of maxx straight axles( like my widow) along with a set of BFT tires or baja claws. so i just want to make sure this trans will hold up.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Lemme get Ace on here, he can answer that better than me.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafourwheeln
Badger,

what we were wondering is can the radio equipment, esc,trans and other Misc stuff be used.. one of the trucks is a nitro and the other is a T3 i believe.. i have used my stampede trans and turned it sideways for one of my crawlers and locked the diff..I was wondering if i could do the same with this trans( on the electric truck) i have not seen a rc10 in person so i don't know. we will not be using the chassis and a-arms off the rc10- just the electronics and trans( if its possible).. he wants something like my Widow project, so everything else will be custom made.. he just found a hell of a deal on this stuff and we were wondering if it would even be worth the time.

how strong is the trans in the t3? do they have any aftermarket metal gears? will the ESC handle a MM motor with a redustion unit( if possible)all the info on these trucks is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the help guys
I can't comment on the electronics from either car because I don't know if they are RTR or kits. If they are kits then any electronics can be in there. Usually the servos are pretty weak in RTR cars, so you would probably want to upgrade it if you are going to run large tires. Otherwise the stock servos might move the 2.2 size tires just fine. The Stealth tranny in the RC10's is a great tranny. The RC10 GT (Gas) should have all metel gears in the tranny to compensate for the gas motor, and I believe the T3 tranny has one metel gear and two nylon gears. I just built a new T4 team truck this weekend and it has all metel gears for the tranny, so I know you can upgrade it.

I was considering doing the same thing to one of my RC10 trucks, but I enjoy racing on the offroad track alot, so I will stick with my TXT for now.

Hope this helps. I can take pictures tonight if my trucks if you want.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Ok.. the gas truck is not part of the deal... i misunderstood the guy... (kicking myself in the butt)
Old 06-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #12
Ace
Rock Crawler

Toyo,

Mine has a old school stealth tranny (first RC10T truck) internal ratio of the tranny is 2 something (2.25 think). The crawler uses smallish 2.2 tires (masher 2000's-about 4.9" dia) and with the biggest spur (93 I think) that fits and a 12 tooth pinion, crawling its seems to be geared OK... My axles are 2:1
My calculated speed with a theoretical motor RPM of 20,000 is 8.5 mph

In your case:

With Maxx axles (which are 2.846:1) the ratio would be better compared to my 2:1 axles, I believe the T3 tranny has taller internal gears (2.4:1 I think)

Quick calc sez your top speed with 20,000rpm would be 7.8 mph so the gearing is close.

As far as strength, stealth trannys are real strong. They will handle about anything one motor could put out. A challenge will be the drive shafts. Not sure if a T3 uses dogbones or slider "cv" joints like the max...
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Ace: you have any pics of that rig?
ultralord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

ok, thanks for the help. is it possible to run a planetary reduction with it also( like the mj8053 [img][/img] ?)

he is wanting to run either the Baja claws or the BFTs and i know gearing will hurt it some and would like to try a reduction unit.

what pitch are the gears 64 or 48?

he sure has me into a project on this one

btw- what is the math for finding out your final crawl ratio?( ex.- maxx tranny,maxx axles,bft tires?)

Thanks again for the info guys
Old 06-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #15

T3 uses dog bones or CVD's
Old 06-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #16
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
T3 uses dog bones or CVD's
:? :? wonder if a CVD would work for a driveshaft (since i have never dealt with CVDs) and if it would let it slide enough. i know my Widow shafts slide a little( 1/8" or so)
Old 06-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #17

Not sure how the CVD's would work. The pitch should be 48.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:33 PM   #18
Ace
Rock Crawler

Math for gear ratio is:

(spur/pinion)X(tranny internal ratio)X(axle ratio)

or:

93/12 X 2.4 X 2.846=52.9:1

borderline low for a pure crawler w/BFT's IMHO

El Capitan is running 120:1 8O with 2 motors,BFT's and that's about as high as I'd go. Grizz is running BFT's in a clod with 9 tooth pinion (48.888:1) and it works, but Grizz would tell you he'd like to be higher in ratio.

As far as pics of my stealth crawler, I got some at home that I'll try to post after work.

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:35 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

super. ill keep a eye out for them
ultralord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #20
Colt Python/SR9c

thanks Ace.. so the Maxx tranny is 2.4?

if so, then my Widow is 40.3:1.....ughhhhhh, i knew i needed lower. reduction unit time

so i guess doug is gonna get the RC10 and we will go from there. he said it had all the stuff with it and ran( except a broken a-arm or something)and for $50, i don't think he could pass it up..so as soon as he gets it, i guess its on to building and taking pics..

ohh, is there any certain way to figure out what gearing the trans has or do they all have the stealth tranny. i know grizzly mentioned a 4:1 tranny :?