Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thinking of building a course in my yard?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thinking of building a course in my yard?

So I am thinking of building a small crawling course in my yard.

I would like to get some ideas from you guys!

I am fairly new to crawling and just started building a WK.

So I have very little experience with this stuff.
has anyone ever done this before
and if you have pics that would be awesome.

thanks allot.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Im working on one on some property I own. I have found its best if you can start with a hill or berm. Then dig out some gulleys and holes and such to help vary the terrain. Highly recomend using weed barrier under the rock. Boulders are nice to use but can be expensive to buy, 16 tons worth cost me $300 delivered (then you have to move them in place). Several people have built their ownn courses, if you look on here you will find several with pics. Any material can be used on a course, busted concrete works good, riprap is good for smaller rigs and filler. If your married plant some flowers maybe put in a little pond and stream and tell the wife its for her. Another alternative people have tried is to build their own obsticles out of wood, wire and concrete. Kind of like how they build the urban rock courses they use at 1:1 comps. Good luck and remember to lift with your legs not your back.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I crawl in a very urban area (Northern El Virginianagua) where there is very little natural surroundings left, so pretty much all my terrain is drainage ditches installed to carry runoff to the sewer systems. They are typically filled with rip-rap (rocks ranging from fist-sized to as big as your torso) so by strategically placing the small rocks in the "holes" between the big rocks these spots can be made fun and challenging.

You can get a whole truckload of rip-rap for a couple-few hundred bucks...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info.
I did a search but didn't come up with anything.
luckily i live close enought to the canyons I can go up there and "borrow" some rocks.

the pond and flower idea is a good one but I would probably just drive over the flowers one night after a few drinks!
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

iam always workin on mine. the first one was built with 2 hills one small and one kinda big. with a rock stream runnin through the whole course. it was a good time but i had to move. now i have a course that is always changing. start off by collecting as many rocks as you can get. 3 bed fulls is a good start. then get some other "stuff" bricks of all sizes, wood for bridges. wood for steps and other things to make things more tech. i made my bridge go from a lower spot to the top of a milk crate that is piled up with 1'x1' bricks to a water fall. i would love to be able to set up a few obstcles just like some well known real spots. like potato salad hill, rocker knocker or big sluce. have fun with it and keep it changing.
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
MWRCA'er

I've been wanting to make a concrete course. Just making the molds might be tough. I was thinking may be filling some garbage bags up with concrete would get some nice boulders.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #7

There are a lot of football and basketball sized rocks where I work so I take a few here and there and have started a nice little course in the backyard. Also, since a lot of guys in my Jeep club come by to do work on their rigs, they bring rocks as payment.. "How much to weld this?"... "Ummm.. 6 boulders and a bag of quickrete."

Many years ago, I used to work at a floating dock. The whole thing floated on these 8'x4'x2' pieces of styrafoam. If you could locate one of those at a building supply or marine yard, you could cut it up with a chainsaw to make the form. Then pour concrete on it.

Last edited by BESRK; 05-08-2007 at 12:52 PM.
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here is my rockgarden at the side of my house. I keep adding to it and changing it. I got most of the rocks from a construction site where the contractor said he wanted them taken or he was going haul off. The pictures don't show the whole thing too well but it is about 15 to 18 feet long by 5 feet wide. It is challenging for TLT size rigs.

Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I am working on my own little crawling patch in the back yard - yes, I mean in addition to the gullies. I've got an old fish pond the previous owner put in, and I'm going to fill it with rocks. Of course, I put some thick stuff down in the bottom to keep things from growing up in it - and so far I have some concrete chunks and a few rocks in it. Some of the rocks came from when the local water company laid some new pipe in this area - the dug up some rocks and were hauling them off, I just stopped and asked about it, and they told me anything I wanted and could pick up and carry off, I could have. I've still got a ways to go though.

PS: Up there a few posts where it says remember to lift with your legs? It's good advice. I didn't hurt my back doing any of this yet, but thats only because I learned my lesson the first time I messed my back up.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote