Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Droop Vs. others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Droop can be built to sit lower, but have the same break over angle because the axles are able to drop when the belly gets high centered. Most droop setups are belly draggers.
Thats true, thats why droop insnt the greatest in a river bedrock situation, rocks are jagged and more likely to hi center with droop setup.
But boy, NOTHING compares to droop setup in a desert rock enviroment, your rig feel like a spider!
~John
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
What are the more advantages?

See around here we also have many different type of rocks and inclines. Capen, Cosmo, Disney. Are all complete different rocks.

I get into these things sometimes. I try to stay out of them. Just because I get worked up to much.
Where do you live? Not that it matters, just wondering.
You'll relize the older you get, the less WORKED UP you want to be
But I trully do understand why you want to know, its cool.
~John
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Droop can be built to sit lower, but have the same break over angle because the axles are able to drop when the belly gets high centered. Most droop setups are belly draggers.
Can't you set up any 4 link suspension the same height and be a belly dragger?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Can't you set up any 4 link suspension the same height and be a belly dragger?
No you can't. Instead of the suspension drop creating more clearence under the pan. The normal way doesn't drop it has a compression set up. Therefor the pan clearence decreases.

This is the main reason I like 50/50 setup best of both worlds.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAWLR4life View Post
Where do you live? Not that it matters, just wondering.
You'll relize the older you get, the less WORKED UP you want to be
But I trully do understand why you want to know, its cool.
~John
I live in Missouri. We have a pretty good balance of rocks around this area. Some sticker then others. Even temp plays a roll on the rocks if they are going to be sticky or not.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #46
RCC Addict

also, not everyone runs an internal spring in their droop rig... I have found some heavy weight oil works well.

good thread btw, nice read.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
No you can't. Instead of the suspension drop creating more clearence under the pan. The normal way doesn't drop it has a compression set up. Therefor the pan clearence decreases.

This is the main reason I like 50/50 setup best of both worlds.
On a 50/50 set up do you run springs inside and outside so they work together and kind of against each other? I could see how that would work great. It would allow the spring on the inside to have a little more force to keep it low and the outer spring would still have down force. and would allow the spring to unload as easy. And the outer spring would always be pushing down. Thats more how a 1:1 Coil-over works. Well closer the just the internal spring anyway. Here I go comparing the two again. Sorry...But the 50/50 set makes a lot more sense.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
also, not everyone runs an internal spring in their droop rig... I have found some heavy weight oil works well.

good thread btw, nice read.
That would almost be like running a sprung set up. Because of the compress oil. ya there is alot of reading in this thread. Not sure if it hurts or helps out any. Just trying to get some deeper thought into the droop craze.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
On a 50/50 set up do you run springs inside and outside so they work together and kind of against each other? I could see how that would work great. It would allow the spring on the inside to have a little more force to keep it low and the outer spring would still have down force. and would allow the spring to unload as easy. And the outer spring would always be pushing down. Thats more how a 1:1 Coil-over works. Well closer the just the internal spring anyway. Here I go comparing the two again. Sorry...But the 50/50 set makes a lot more sense.
Exactly in and out or above and bellow the piston.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

But I have seen rigs with the normal 4 link and sprung set up sit just as low as any set up. All but the Stick styles. But thats different of course. If the normal 4 link and sprung sit up guys put spacers on there shocks shafts (on the outside) that would limit there up travel but not there down travel. Thus giving it a drop like suspension. Right?

Also on a Tube chassis that has a higher center of gravity. They all do. There is no way around that. The internal spring would help fight that and make it crawl better. But I think a 50/50 set up would do better if you have your weight balance correctly.

I'd like to throw this out there again. Just to make it clear. I'm not bashing any one set up or Chassis. Just trying to understand the physics of the RC Droop design. I guess I need to just forget about 1:1 Droop set ups. As they are nothing a like.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 05-25-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #51
Web Wheeling

Its not that hard of a concept to understand... But you keep asknig the same questions over and over, you just need to build one and try it.

Lets say a droop rig has a 2.5" belly clearance, and a sprung has 2.75" belly clearance.

If both high center, the droop rigs axles can drop down a inch or more, hopefully finding traction. A sprung setup might be able to drop half a inch, but if they are a partial droop, they can drop more.

Don't know if I can make it any clearer then that....
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

What I’ve gathered in this discussion so far.

Droop (however set up no int. spring or springs pushing opposite normal shock travel) needs the weight of the “rig” to keep traction at the wheels and using the opposite shocks “pull (if you will)” to add the down force for good traction or tire to the road.
On R/C’s because the weight factor is not comparable to 1:1 where you would want the added down force with coil-over’s. The added up force is a benefit. (yes/no?)

Limiting straps on a conventional shock set up just gives it a torsionest (word?) feel because both springs giving an equal amount of down force allowing it to float in a cense.

Belly draggers that have a normal set up is “set” at that rid height and will only decrease when shocks are compressed. But as a droop set up the GC will increase because the axle or wheel will drop adding space to your bottom line.

Let me know if I’m off on my review so far.?
Edit: I missed the last 4 or 5 posts while writting this.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Its not that hard of a concept to understand... But you keep asknig the same questions over and over, you just need to build one and try it.

Lets say a droop rig has a 2.5" belly clearance, and a sprung has 2.75" belly clearance.

If both high center, the droop rigs axles can drop down a inch or more, hopefully finding traction. A sprung setup might be able to drop half a inch, but if they are a partial droop, they can drop more.

Don't know if I can make it any clearer then that....
I keep asking the same question but not getting the answer is way. A droop set up and a Spring set up can have the same belly clearnce. Thats easy. They both as also have just has much down travel. Depending on the shock used. Having you whole axle drop isn't a good thing. It shorten the wheelbase. Even Rockpiledriver said he uses a center mounted limiting strap to prevent that. And he runs the Droop set up. Far as I know.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Just try one allready.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just try one allready.
I will, I just started this thread this morning. Thats not enough time to build one...lol But I'll be doing the 50/50 set up as it shows more promising advantages.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Harley0706's "Goferit" WK Tuber Build
This pic will hopfully show the drop mike is talking about
Old 05-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

OK one thing first. Your new chassis looks sick. Great job on it.

In this pic the front tire thats fully drooped. Isn't the shock trying to pull it up? But then again the rear is doing the oppsite and forcing it back down in way. Correct? So it's making to more stable by doing so. I'm I right?

Last edited by run2jeepn; 05-25-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Suspension is independent from each other.
Yes the front right shock is trying to lift the axle upward. The spring is so light though. That it can't over come the static weight of the axle.

To awnser another one of your questions the WB changes less than an 1/8" through it's travel.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Suspension is independent from each other.
Yes the front right shock is trying to lift the axle upward. The spring is so light though. That it can't over come the static weight of the axle.

To awnser another one of your questions the WB changes less than an 1/8" through it's travel.
Alright now some questions are getting answered. Thank you. I have seen a few wheelbases change on a droop set up that had to be more then 1/8in. I'm not going to say which one it was, but it moved alot and looked to do more harm then good. I figured the static weight of the tire and axle will over come the shock, but it's still lightening the load some. Thus robbing traction to some degree. Might not be enough to do anything.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #60
Web Wheeling

How is it robbing traction if most of my weight is on the axle? One tire or the other will be getting that traction, as my weight does not magicly disapear frmo the axles.

And again, the springs are very light, they still allow the axle to fully drop.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote