Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help with Shocks Please.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #1

Default Help with Shocks Please.......

Ok, I have searched for days, and litterally hours at a time but I still haven't found anything that helps me out. I decided to cut the bump stops off my nylint(right above the blue wicsbones). I knew once I cut them off my shocks would be too short and pull apart. So I put a set of front shocks on the rear, and re mounted them a little lower and more towards the middle. On the front I used the stock shocks and remounted them lower and to the middle. My shocks still pull apart when it gets into a tight spot. I even made limiting straps for the front to stop the droop from the tabs being cut off and it still managed to pull them apart. I know I could put shorter straps on, but it would defeat the whole purpose of more flex. Sorry for beating a dead horse, but I know everone on here is doing this, I just need a little help. Thanks, Jared
JeepinJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

you can take the shocks apart and pull the rod out a lil so it wont slip off
rig it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Location: Tearin down a dirt road, rebel flag a flyin, coon dog in the back, truck bed loaded down with beer.

i went down to my local denis company (hardware store) and a package of 5' ball chain. you know the gold/silver chain that is used on pull on lights and ceiling fans. anyways i took a circular wire conector and put the ball chain in one side and crimped it down tight. then i took the body off and stretched one side of the suspension all the way out then slowly let it back in till the shock was in just slightly back together and cut the chain and put another end on it. worked for me and if you mess up and make it to long just cut more off the already made strap and try again.

if you want anyy pics just tell me and ill post some.
fordzilla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #4

I made some limmiting straps for the front, and they worked good for flex, but when climbing like stairs or something the front has like almost axle wrap I guess it'd be called. An when it does and droops down it will pull the shocks out. Same with the back. If I make the straps any shorter I'll have less flex that stock. I'm only like 1/2" over stock flex now. Thats why I just don't see how some of these guys are getting like 90 degrees of flex from both axles with the same shocks I have. I did have the shock mounted really low, so all the tension pushed the axles down more. The shocks didn't separate, but I lost perfomance, and I lost almost an inch in wheels base. So that didn't work either.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Location: Tearin down a dirt road, rebel flag a flyin, coon dog in the back, truck bed loaded down with beer.

if you give me some time after i eat ill post up some realy detailed pictures of what i did. i can have three tire on the ground and the other ontop of 2 popcans.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

alrite i got some pics of what i did. sorry about the bad picture quality.

went to hardware store and bought thes 90 degree shelf corners.

then got the chain and wire connectors (after i toook time to measure for length)

i cut some slits in the front and put two of those in for the shock placement.

this is my rear shock placement

i had to cut the bumper down to make room for my shock that stick forward because of new placement in front
Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #7

Looks like I'll just have to deal with losing a little bit of wheel base length and mount the shocks lower. I've been brain storming for a while about how to make some longer shock, but haven't come up with anything yet. I'll try this and see what happens. A few more holes drilled won't hurt
Old 06-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ya thats exactly what i said. (a few more holes drilled wont hurt)

but i have seen people put T-maxx shocks on theres and it looked like it worked good.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #9

Well, I remounted my shocks lower in the back and now they don't pull aprt when flexed. I have about 12" of flex now, is this good? All I need to do now is make some limiting straps to keep the whole back axle from going down. Thats the only time it pull them aprt is when I pick it up. My chassis is older so the shocks aren't screwed on at the bottom so I don't know where to mount the strap. I'll post some pic of the flex up.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #10

That first body is a nice one I'm making to look like a Laredo CJ7, and the red one is the one I beat the crap out off and is painted to look like my 1:1 Jeep. The box it is setting on measures 12" tall.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

thes are my two creations.

the first one is my nylint that i took pictures of last night to show you my shock placement.

this is my hummer i made