RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   PTI vs.TLT AXLES (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/75307-pti-vs-tlt-axles.html)

ARMRASTLER 06-19-2007 03:18 PM

PTI vs.TLT AXLES

Just wanting some feedback from PTI owners that might have had TLT axles before.Do they seem to hold up to rock crawling expectations. I have a 2.2 comp rig with TLT axles,but since they have been discontinued I am looking for replacement axles for the future.Any PTI feedback will be nice.thx

trickedoutTLT06 06-19-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARMRASTLER (Post 740932)
Just wanting some feedback from PTI owners that might have had TLT axles before.Do they seem to hold up to rock crawling expectations. I have a 2.2 comp rig with TLT axles,but since they have been discontinued I am looking for replacement axles for the future.Any PTI feedback will be nice.thx

PTI axles have plastic gears, actually the gears from a TC3. so, no, they're not as strong as TLT axles, but I think they would do :)

ARMRASTLER 06-19-2007 03:52 PM

from what I see,there isn't metal gears available for them either..right??

OGmicromonster 06-19-2007 03:56 PM

If you take the time to shim the gears properly, you shouldn't strip out the gears that easily. I know someone makes a delrin gear, but I don't remember the manufactuer. I've had mine for a while and just barely stripped the gears, and that was when the tire got jammed under a ledge and was throttled hard. I was actually trying to strip them to see how much it would take. And it was a lot.

Here is a photo of my axles with the underside shaved.
http://www.dpalacios.com/random/grc12/06.jpg

K_B 06-19-2007 06:28 PM

I stripped gears in both my PTI rig and my TLT rig until I did some proper shimming...

GPM Racing makes Delrin TC3 gears...

ARMRASTLER 06-20-2007 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies,I know there are parts out there but the demand is so high now it's hard to find some in stock.And there are lots of pti kits out there.So it sounds like the pti axles are good to go with proper shimming just like the tlt.And would be even better with metal gears when available........thanks again"thumbsup"

OGmicromonster 06-20-2007 12:58 PM

Plus the gears for the PTI are basically TC3 gears so you could find replacements if necessary fairly easy.

jetboat 06-20-2007 02:04 PM

I was told by my fav hobby shop that at one time there was a company producing titanium tc3 gears so if he was right then there should be some floating out there someplace

OGmicromonster 06-20-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboat (Post 741976)
I was told by my fav hobby shop that at one time there was a company producing titanium tc3 gears so if he was right then there should be some floating out there someplace

If you find out who makes them and where to get them, I'd be interested. Please let me know if you find out anything. "thumbsup"

themerc64 06-20-2007 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The plastic TC3 gears are a fiberglass composite. Much stronger that the pot-metal TLT gears IMO. There are steel gears available for the TLT from RC4WD. The TC3 spool is a nice option for the early PTI models and comes standard in the crawler version.

Natedog 06-21-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themerc64 (Post 742213)
The plastic TC3 gears are a fiberglass composite. Much stronger that the pot-metal TLT gears IMO. There are steel gears available for the TLT from RC4WD. The TC3 spool is a nice option for the early PTI models and comes standard in the crawler version.

Good point on the actual gear's material. Those spools are nice.

K_B 06-21-2007 03:06 PM

It's been mentioned many times before but just as an FYI; make sure you use the spools for the ELECTRIC TC3/4. The NITRO TC3/4 spool is beefier because it's steel, but you have to hog out the slots for the dogbones. The E-TC3 spool is a direct drop-in aluminum piece. At first glance the steel one and alloy one look pretty much identical. And for what it's worth, my aluminum front spool show almost zero wear (got the steel one in the rear).

ARMRASTLER 06-22-2007 03:02 PM

Great Info Guys,thx