Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HPI Savage Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default HPI Savage Crawler

Ok well searching returned very limited results, LOTS of people seem to have the idea, but the amount that follow through with it, seem to be very limited, so im wondering exactly HOW MANY OF YOU OUT THERE COMPLETED YOUR BUILD!?? The Pics and Info I have found have been pretty minimal so Im asking for members to Post up any pics and info you have or come across of Savage crawlers (Both Indy and Solid Axel).

This is what i am starting with, and will continue to give a run down of MY build up IF people share THEIR pics and info..

here are a couple i have found. PLEASE.. if you have any thoughts or other pictures, im sure there is a world out there waiting to see what is being done.

Foolsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

IMHO,tooooooooo wide. Get some shorter dog bones and skinny it up some. About 14" wide outside of tires is a good width.

If theres nobody building them or finishing theirs,be a pioneer and finish yours.

Oh,if it's still indy suspention.....it ain't a crawler
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

holy crap that's wide
ThatKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

inspiration comes from within..build it and they will come..
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If that was built with a bit more angle in the axles it would be a little more narrower and there would be much more center clearance at the diff.
Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtjrt01550 View Post
inspiration comes from within..build it and they will come..

Oh my inspiration is there.. iv decided and started on a similar setup but with a slightly narrower stance.. and more bling lol. originally i thought of a solid chassis with IS all round, but decided against it to keep the OME parts down to a minimum, fabrication is sweet, and replacements can be made and not purchased.

main thing im wondering is if i can use a standard savage box and either lock it in first, or possibly use another savage diff sideways with the imput directly from the 540.. guess i need a few more brews to see what the outcome is.. Will update the thread as I go.. seeing as there is VERY limited numbers of members who actually do the follow up threads to builds.. :( so sad.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsp33d View Post
Oh my inspiration is there.. iv decided and started on a similar setup but with a slightly narrower stance.. and more bling lol. originally i thought of a solid chassis with IS all round, but decided against it to keep the OME parts down to a minimum, fabrication is sweet, and replacements can be made and not purchased.

main thing im wondering is if i can use a standard savage box and either lock it in first, or possibly use another savage diff sideways with the imput directly from the 540.. guess i need a few more brews to see what the outcome is.. Will update the thread as I go.. seeing as there is VERY limited numbers of members who actually do the follow up threads to builds.. :( so sad.
I had built (or mostly built) a e/t maxx with the transmission out of the nitro rig had to fab up a motor mount as I didnt want to run a gd600 and all I did was lock it in first the savage tranny and the maxx are pretty similar and plenty strong...
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

ok well i threw a few bits of alloy together and have come up with a basic diff layout.. the lighter is to give a size estimate, its a standard bic not a shortie:P would love some feedback on ideas suggestions..

after some more info on different gearboxes to.. ratios of various sorts etc..

undecided on a WB length yet, will complete both front and rear diffs then set to work on a tub as such...
Old 07-02-2007, 03:57 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

hmm.. lots of people LOOKING no one has ANY comments!?? Cat got all your tongues??

got the other diff finished to a temporary stage,enough to get a WB and work out links, g/b mounting and motor mounts... just have to cut out alloy in diff so it can spin....

had a heap of Bling i was going to use on my nitro, but I havent put it on in the last 12 months so i figure i might as well put it to use.

Factory alloy includes hubs, carriers and diff housings. have two alloy shocks but am leaning towards the stock shocks for now..

Now... what do i do with the left over Bling!?! hmmm....
Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #10

GIVE IT TO ME!!!
beasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

or an ebay job lot
al3x_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsp33d View Post
Cat got all your tongues??
nope but he sure was being vicious on my fingers!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #13

yea ill take that off your hands, ill even let you ship it to me all for free
trnt_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I am interested to see how this goes!

can you grind down that diff plate so it's not so wide on the ends?

or even better make it go on top of the diff and then hold the knuckles from the top like a poulsen crawler?

keep us posted
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

The crawler is looking good so far. I have a e-savage that I have been looking at pretty hard for a project like this. Keep us posted on your progress. You are giviing me lots of great ideas.
felteater2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrighttt View Post
or even better make it go on top of the diff and then hold the knuckles from the top like a poulsen crawler?
a what crawler?? any links to this?? certainly sounds interesting...
Old 07-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by felteater2005 View Post
The crawler is looking good so far. I have a e-savage that I have been looking at pretty hard for a project like this. Keep us posted on your progress. You are giviing me lots of great ideas.
Try www.esavage.com and look at mudcows build... this guy knows his stuff...

Do me a favour and measure the esavy g/box for me please?? all dimensions if possible.. mounting holes, input/output much appreiciated mate! ta!

Last edited by Foolsp33d; 07-04-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: favour added..
Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Stop attention whoring and just build the thing. Whether you build it or not, it is your rig and that's all that really matters.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

This started out as a normal Savage.

From 7/05...

Savage on the right...(pay no attention to the 8.5" tall LST's on the Twin Force)

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
Stop attention whoring and just build the thing. Whether you build it or not, it is your rig and that's all that really matters.
Meh! to you, If i had ALL the bits and pieces I need I would!! but I dont so I can only do so much... which is why its a diffs only affair atm..

Toyo. Thats a beast mate! thanks for sharing the pics! Did you use the savy g box? been brainstorming ideas for the 'tub' so to speak, and weather to lock out the savy g/box or use a 600 reduction unlocked.. if you have any body off shots you can pm me would be greatly appreciated. You used Revo shafts? again thanks for sharing

Mucho Gratis for the encouragment guys.. As soon as the mini bike is sold, the CC will get a top up and required parts purchased, and the build up gets underway again. Till then all I can do is research...

Last edited by Foolsp33d; 07-04-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: 'the finger' added