Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hydro steer made easy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

I said something about not seeing the gain. What I meant was, for me I dont even compete, so A 200 oz mediocre servo is fine. Also correct me if I am wrong but isnt the 300 oz good enough most of the time? I would think that the hydro set up would be another thing to worry about tuning and setting up and also another thing to go wrong therefore since the servo alone isnt bad, the cons out weigh the pros.

Moving on from showing my noobness. I think its awesome. One thing I would like to see though is it working front and rear steer with one master cyl. Again about the bad, it would have to be mounted somewhere. In theory I guess it could work though right? Oh wait that master would have to be huge to hold enough fluid for those drones. Nevermind
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

WOW! I am very impressed! Looks awsome man! Also... about the hydraulic thing... maybe be wrong but, what if you had a bit fatter master (or whichever one is controlled by the servo) to hold a bit more fluild... A little more power coming out of the slave? Maybe not?
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #43
I joined the Band!

SCREAMING AMAZING . im extremely impressed dude!
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Okay, this has got me thinking (I know, scary...). Instead of a master cylinder driving the slave cylinders, what about a gear pump that is driven by a winch modded servo. This wouldn't give you proportional steering yet, but stay with me. Time to mod the modded servo! Pull the pot out of the servo and extend the pot wires enough to reach one of the steering knuckles. Affix the pot to the top of the knuckle such that the rotating knuckle rotates the pot. Now when a steering input is given, the pump kicks in and moves the slave piston in the desired direction until the feedback from the pot matches the steering input to the servo channel (much like a stock servo works) resulting in proportional steering. Definitely violates the Keep It Simple, Stupid! rule, but I think this just might work!
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Here's a cool animation of how a gear pump works... http://www.mekanizmalar.com/gearpump.shtml
Haven't found one small enough for this application on the web, so started looking for alternatives. Drawing a blank, I just happened to notice an old hand crank nitro fuel pump hanging on the hobby wall. Eureka! Would likely take some serious modding, like removing the gru and letting the winch servo drive the rollers directly. Now if I only had this guys mad fab skills for that kickass slave setup...
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Well it looks cool and seems like it could be better than a servo mounted on the axle.Nice work man.Could we get a video of it up against a rock or wall,then it pushing itself off.I also would like to see how fast it could go bak and forth.Again nice work man! Awesome!
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:01 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
WOW! I am very impressed! Looks awsome man! Also... about the hydraulic thing... maybe be wrong but, what if you had a bit fatter master (or whichever one is controlled by the servo) to hold a bit more fluild... A little more power coming out of the slave? Maybe not?
Well I tried that knowing that it most likely wouldnt work and it took a $H1t load of force to get it to move, not because of the desighn or binding or anything like that but because of the simple physics of hydraulics basicaly you reverse Pascals law when you try that. here is some pics of that failed atempt Note how much bigger the master piston is comp to the slave outer diameter a total reversal of my completed system

CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Well it looks cool and seems like it could be better than a servo mounted on the axle.Nice work man.Could we get a video of it up against a rock or wall,then it pushing itself off.I also would like to see how fast it could go bak and forth.Again nice work man! Awesome!
as soon as I can but gotta finnish the rig first so might be a while!

thanx for the comment!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
Here's a cool animation of how a gear pump works... http://www.mekanizmalar.com/gearpump.shtml
Haven't found one small enough for this application on the web, so started looking for alternatives. Drawing a blank, I just happened to notice an old hand crank nitro fuel pump hanging on the hobby wall. Eureka! Would likely take some serious modding, like removing the gru and letting the winch servo drive the rollers directly. Now if I only had this guys mad fab skills for that kickass slave setup...

I dont see why this wouldnt work, I thought about it as well but just decided that I didnt want to do it that way this time. I actualy have a Positive displacment gear pump I made myself about a year ago that is about the size of a Nickle is going on another hydraulic setup on an airplane im building so you can make them very small!!!. Also the other thing you may want to think about is there may be a slight delay in the steer when you make an imput to your controller, reason is.....it will take maybe OH.....wait wait wait.................ok positive displacement gear pumps creat flow on one end and a low pressure or on thier (what we call sucktion side) the require speed so they have to spin pretty fast to do what they do. Im not sure a modded servo would work but you could use a small elec motor of some kind, might have to be the size of a 540 or so though because you have to have enough umphhhh or when your tires hit the rocks it will stall the pump or cavatate it, then you get into heat buildup, airation of your oil, all kinds of probs! But check it out, its been done before with a pump, JasoninAgusta has the scorpion with 4weel steer the system costed $800 but it will move rocks if it has to!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Hey JIA dont you have a hydraulic rc? Is it steering or suspension? I know someone does and I think its a scorpion. Guess I will be doing some searching.
I see now ^

That cylinder is huge. I think it could be munted under the hood area of a tuber or something. Recess it into the cowl now that would be cool. I think it would hold enough to do front and rear steering but they would be together. no independant yet. There are a multitude of rc airplane fuel tanks that would work. only thing is that the ram would have to be square. So what kind of rig are you building with those axles?
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #51
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembom View Post
Hey JIA dont you have a hydraulic rc? Is it steering or suspension? I know someone does and I think its a scorpion. Guess I will be doing some searching.
Not to derail the thread, but I built the hydraulic Scorpion.

http://projecttwin.com/files/Hydraulics.mpg

http://projecttwin.com/files/hydraulics31.mpg

Here's one of the first basic diagrams of my system. The pump is rated at 200cc/min at 100psi. Actual pressures seen during operation are dependent on the load on the system and the max pressure is adjustable.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Hey JIA, how many in.,oz. of torque do you get out of that system? And does the 7.2 volt battery power the pump and such or does the Lipo take care of that?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #53
06 Super National Champ

Li-Poly powers the motor/pump.

There is no in.,oz measurement, hydraulics produce a linear movement. There is no rotating motion so there's no torque measurement as you'd have with a servo.

I don't know what my setup would equate to with regard to a standard servo measurement, but I have yet to see a servo that can do what this system does.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Damn, some of you guys are just too freakin smart, nice craftsmanship fellas.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Li-Poly powers the motor/pump.

There is no in.,oz measurement, hydraulics produce a linear movement. There is no rotating motion so there's no torque measurement as you'd have with a servo.

I don't know what my setup would equate to with regard to a standard servo measurement, but I have yet to see a servo that can do what this system does.
Ohh... I didnt know you couldnt measure hydraulics that way.. oh well. Anyway, maybe measure it in the amount of pounds it can push or lift. PSI maybe? maybe not?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #56
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFBERG View Post
You know both ways are correct and fine in my mind, I wont knock guys with servo's on thier axles and I wont say my way is the best way I just wanted to introduce something new that doesnt requir a pump or $800 (no disrespect Jason if you happen to read this)!!!! your **** is way cool and it inspired me to keep working on this months ago!!! But if you have the talent to do things other than type........tear it up in your shop and lets see it .......lets make this the coolest thing ever together.

I actually get paid to type and trust me-I have the talent, I just don't have the time.

When will we see video of this in action on the rocks? I'm liking how your system should respond nearly as fast as the servo you're using.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFBERG View Post
as soon as I can but gotta finnish the rig first so might be a while!

thanx for the comment!

Forget the rig...!

Make a few of theese and buy a blue star so I can buy one from you
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #58
Trying to have Fun Again

Dang Dave gets deployed and we don't here from you in a while and this what you come up with. Nice work I can't wait to see this in person.

Get that rig finished we are planing a comp in Spokane soon.

Let me know if you need more tlt shocks I got some you can have.

Cory
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Copyright that sh!t and make some $$$.
RCJunkie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Stuff like this is why r/c rock is the fastest growing segment of the hobby. We all suffer from CLSA (cant leave sh** alone) Keep up the good work man and if you decide to get that star let me know.
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote