Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI vs Axial CG, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default PTI vs Axial CG, Etc.

I built an Axial for my LHS last week. Here's some pics. You can see that the motors are both about the same height, but the Axial has much more ground clearance. Wheelbase is the same. The Axial has a little more steering throw. PTI chassis is much thinner.

Anyway, I thought you might be curious.
Attached Images

Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

yea I noticed the extra ground clearance on the ax10 vs the PTI the other day but like you said the cg is no better with the stock set up especialy if you run the batterys in the stock locations
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

To me it looks like the PTI has a lower CG if you put the batteries in the stock locations.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

which one has more suspension travel?
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
which one has more suspension travel?
The PTI will go 90*. I have it limited to about 70*. I'm just running totally stock Maxx shocks. I never changed the springs or oil.

The Axial seemed a bit stiff. It will go 90* if you hold it, but only went to about 60* when lifting one tire before the others lifted. I'm sure the springs and oils need to be played with. That was with the stock springs and oil (30wt.).
Old 08-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

what if u use the stock pti shocks?
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I don't have the blue aluminum PTI shocks. I would guess that they are similar, softer springs possibly. Set the preload and use a slightly thicker oil.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I like the looks of Axial it just looks like it's stronger and was thought out and really made for rock crawling ..unlike the PTI that was really just a truck desined to be a mini to compete with RC18, LST, minizilla ,etc. then PTI just added parts and stretched it out ... the Axial axles look way stronger and beefier than the PTI's and the PTI's do bend easy and have poor fit qualities and strip all the time..... I am going to get a Axial also... O and did i mention it looks COOL also!
shenlonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenlonco View Post
I like the looks of Axial it just looks like it's stronger and was thought out and really made for rock crawling ..unlike the PTI that was really just a truck desined to be a mini to compete with RC18, LST, minizilla ,etc. then PTI just added parts and stretched it out ... the Axial axles look way stronger and beefier than the PTI's and the PTI's do bend easy and have poor fit qualities and strip all the time..... I am going to get a Axial also... O and did i mention it looks COOL also!

Looks can be decieving, And as for the PTI bending, I dropped mine off a 10' cliff yesterday, it landed on the axles and it proceeded to roll about 25-30' before hitting a tree with the front axle. I climbed down, put it back on the rock and kept going. And strip easy???? I have lifted 25# rocks with my tires, destroyed rims and ripped the bead off tires, and the gears look fine.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the comparo pics Skeeno! The Axial should be adjusted down a bit for proper ride height imo, so somewhat decieving on the cg. But good side by side comparison either way.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #11

look at first pic
You will see that if turning left then right wheel turns more than left on axial. I think left wheel should turn more if you go left.
crawler555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

nice to see them both together. i've seen both but never at the same time. still goin with the ax-10 but my dad already ordered a pti. so we'll see soon enough.
FloridaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

the pti can easily compete with the ax 10, although it may take more work to become a comp worthy crawler. as for the axles being flimsy, i have sent my truck on the quick route down the hill many times and have no yet broke an axle, and the gears hold up just fine as long as they are shimmed correctly.
toomessedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the side-by-side... I am just looking at getting started, and with very limited $$$, I can't really afford to do one thing then change my mind and go a different way. I'll take all these comparisons I can get!

BTW, isn't the narrower chassis a big benefit? As I said, I'm just starting, and know basically nothing - but I'd think narrower is better, isn't it?
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
BTW, isn't the narrower chassis a big benefit? As I said, I'm just starting, and know basically nothing - but I'd think narrower is better, isn't it?
Ask 100 people get 100 answers. Narrow has some definite advantages when it comes to clearance but, your going to have a body on top of it so to a point it doesnt matter.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
Thanks for the side-by-side... I am just looking at getting started, and with very limited $$$, I can't really afford to do one thing then change my mind and go a different way. I'll take all these comparisons I can get!

I started with a goliath. I'm now using ax-10 axles and a ax-10 tranny. Here are the problems with the goliath.

1. The axles are weak, both the ring and pinion (plastic) and the dog bones. The gears will strip even if they're shimmed correctly under extreme stress. The dog bones snap and twist. Since I've switched to the ax-10 axles, I haven't been able to break anything internal. I've tried and my driveshafts always go first.

2. The arm on the steering knuckle is too short. You just can't get enough leverage to move the wheels without a $100 plus servo.

3. The transmission places the motor up too high and the spur gear will strip when the motor plate deflects.

The ax-10 didn't exist when I first got into the sport. Now, there really is no comparison between the goliath and ax-10. The ax-10 is basically ready to go. Buy the ready to run if cost is that much of an issue. The stock ax-10s are doing very well at our comps. All you'll need to do is limit and firm up the suspension and you're golden.

Good Luck
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
limit and firm up the suspension
Again, I was on the wrong line of thinking... I figured you wanted as much suspension travel and articulation as you could get to keep as much tire to ground contact as you can.
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #18

I put the black spacers that are supposed to go on the outside of the shocks on the inside. Big difference.. I also am running 45wt shock oil. So far I like the standard springs in the rear with the soft ones in the front. For me it allows the front wheels to climb a steeper angle without hopping as much. Less resistance to articulate the front wheels. I like it that way so far...
Farbzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #19

Default i have both

considering the pti was probably the first production rockcrawler it holds up very well while not as "out of the box" competitive as the ax10,also have to remember the original kit (pti) was 1/18 scale(extension kit made it 1/10).btw i had an issue with the stub axles chewing up the wheels ,i called pti they sent me "new" stub axles and wheels free of charge.apparently they had some issues with a vendor which have now been resolved. but if i had to pick which is the best it would be the ax10.
Thunder9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #20

they are both awesome tho... lol
caspertheog is offline   Reply With Quote