Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking at a goliath

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #1

Default Looking at a goliath

Ok guys im going to try and get into crawling and I found a guy who has two goliaths one is stock and one is not. What are the things I need to look for? What does it take to go from a stock one to a well equipted Im deploying to Iraq and I want to take this with me to pass my down time with something that does not stress the hell out of me LOL any help i can get will be great thanks.
randylamarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

you can take a GRC from stock to comp ready for about $30 in parts... you just need some 6-32 rod ends, some 3/16 brakeline and some all thread, some t-maxx drive shafts. What I have seen common on GRC's that people have built is that they dont shim the gears and they use too long screws to attach the shocks to the axles which causes the dog bones to wear and snap. I would take a couple sets of tc3/4 gears with me and maybe a couple sets of rs4 dog bones. To realy make one capable you should add a gear reduction unit like one from rc4wd or a GD600 and a 55t motor (use a 5mm pinion from rc4wd with the gd600 and you dont have to mill it down). You'll also want to brace the input on the axles, I simply used long 4-40 screws but some people go as far as building a clamp for it. There are all sorts of build threads that show everything I described.

All that being said, most parts of Iraq are crap for crawling, if you just want a truck for over there I would recommend a brushless rc18mt with Lipo batteries.

Good luck, keep your head down and dont be a hero just come home safe. Same advice I gave my Brother and Step Brother and they both came home safe. And if a car tries to pass your convoy dont be afraid to shove them off the road, there is a good chance its a bomber trying to get to the middle of the group.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

How much does he want for them? I'd keep looking and maybe check out the new Axial Scorpion or a WK. Aftermarket parts support will be much greater for those.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #4

ok so for not too much money what is the best place to get a RTR good crawler. As far a crawling in IRAQ will will set stuff up in the tent im not going to go out and find something. I just cant bring nitro rc stuff with me and thats all i got right now.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/truck_kits.html
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #6

you would take a WK over a goliath?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

He's a GRC hater....I just got a WK on a trade, it does seem pretty good I have to admit. With some Mods and a Lathe it can be a pretty good crawler definatly cheaper since its RTR.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #8

well they will be in the mail today so I hope to have them next week.