Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: ESC Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ESC Questions.

Hello everyone,

My Birthday was at the begining of this month and I decided not to get anything because I had no idea as to what I wanted. So after much consideration it boiled down to three items; MiniZ, Wheely King or a PTI Goliath. Now, taking into the sizes and the uses I would have for these RCs, the Wheely King and the MiniZ are out; so that leaves good ol' PTI Goliath.

This may just be my very first crawler, deciding on what I get for it is a different story. I have been into RC for a while now, starting with Xmuds then jumping up to the larger scales of Traxxas. But, I've always had an itch to meddle with the slow-go'ers like Crawlers. That, and my property is just filled with places to do so. Being that I only have a Traxxas Stampede, that ain't exactly suited for much crawling. More like..mash the throttle and pray it gets up, over, and around the obsticle.

So, after all that rambling, it brings me to my first few questions:

1. I will be buying the PTI Goliath Rock Crawler Version. I understand this is a kit, and I will have to build it myself, but are the shocks pre assembled, or am I going to have to buy some shock oils?

2. Are there any parts not included in the kit that I will need to purchase while at my LHS? (IE: Tie rods, links, joints, etc.. or is that all in the kit?)

3. What ESC would you recomend me getting? At first I was going to buy a buddy of mines ESC that was on his RC18, but then I realized that it's for 280(?) size motors meant for 1:18th when in actuality the Goliath runs off of the 550/540 size motors. Since these are such high turn and low amp. drawing motors, could I feesible use an RC18s ESC? (I'll be sticking with Brushed. For two reasons: I'm a beginer to this, and second: talk about expensive...)

4. Is the stock motor powerfull enough for some bashing in the back yard? (Loose dirt, gravel and some larger rocks.) Or should I pick up a larger winded motor from the start? (They're only what...$30 for a 55T from Integy?)

5. Will I need any hex adapters to put on some other RC rubber? Such as the M2ks or Moabs. I would venture to say no, because it comes with 2.2tires/rims stock..

6. Please give any other suggestions you may have, anything will help a new comer to this hobby.

Thanks for you time, and patients. I understand these are a lot of questions, but I would really rather not waste my money when it comes to this sort of thing. I've tried my luck in the past, and I greatly regret my decisions. :(

-Kyle.

Last edited by Donziikid; 10-29-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Donziikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

(1) The shocks are preassembled.

(2) All chassis parts are included. Electronics not included. If you're using small brushless outrunner motor, will need a adaptor plate.

(3) I like the Mamba Max ESC, I have friends who also use Mamba 25. I also have Novak Super Duty XR.

(4) Motor not included in the kit. 55T / Crawl master / Revolver all nice

(5) You can use other 2.2 rubbers on the stock wheels (built-in hex), but if you decide to change the wheels, then you'll need hex adapters.

(6) Suggestions: 12.5" Extension kit. Check chassis rails to ensure parallel installed, will affect axle alignment. Lower link length needs adjustments to avoid center drive shaft binding. Upgrade center drive shafts, GRUs.

Last edited by Frost; 10-29-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
(1) The shocks are preassembled.

(2) All chassis parts are included. Electronics not included. If you're using small brushless outrunner motor, will need a adaptor plate.

(3) I like the Mamba Max ESC, I have friends who also use Mamba 25. I also have Novak Super Duty XR.

(4) Motor not included in the kit. 55T / Crawl master / Revolver all nice

(5) You can use other 2.2 rubbers on the stock wheels (built-in hex), but if you decide to change the wheels, then you'll need hex adapters.

(6) Suggestions: 12.5" Extension kit. Check chassis rails to ensure parallel installed, will affect axle alignment. Lower link length needs adjustments to avoid center drive shaft binding. Upgrade center drive shafts, GRUs.
1. Yay! I won't have to deal with all that shock stuff right off the bat. That makes me happy to hear that!

2. Brushless is just too expensive right off the bat, but that's good to know. Thanks.

3. If I did go brushless, I've heard nothing but good about Mamba. Whether it's the 1:18th or the 1:10th version. So, that would be my first choice. Also, from what I've seen, it's cheaper than Novak.

4. Darn. I thought there was a motor included, I guess I read the fine print wrong.. I'll have to look up the crawlmaster/revolver.

5. Rims are expensive, so, I can live with the stockers. Unless I need more weight, I'd see no benefit in switching to different rims.. Just tires.

6. Lower links need adjusting...as in I'll need to cut them, or just screw them closer together? And, what's a GRU? :opps:

Thanks! Anyone else with their $0.02 would be much appretiated!
Donziikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post

6. Lower links need adjusting...as in I'll need to cut them, or just screw them closer together? And, what's a GRU? :opps:

Thanks! Anyone else with their $0.02 would be much appretiated!
Just use the rod end to adjust +/- 1 or 2 turns so the center shaft comes out very slightly. Depends how much binding u get at center drive shaft.

GRU = Gear Reduction Units
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I think the MMT version comes with a motor.
franeich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

yea defiently use the extension kit or revo push rods and toe links.
spend the money and get some wheels w/ 12mm hexs cuz the stock rims strip out real easy(i bought some hpi 5 spoke wheels that came with hex's that added about 10mm width to my truck) . also defiently get a gru.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

a good inexpensive ESC is the novak XRS. i use it on my own crawler since its small and runs very cool
julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #8

+1 for the novak XRS. Great speedy for the price.
fetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

for the money, go with holmes Hobbies budget cralwer pack for a couple reasons:

1: start out brushless, brushed is going the way of the dino
2: longer run times
3: LIpo Ready
4: Most importantly, with teh GRC the CG is realy high, with a brushed motor it makes it worse (weight) the brushless motor with the budget pack weighs less than 1/3 the weight

Its $100 for the pack and when you figure a brushed ESC will cost about that..... well lets just say you wont be dissapointed
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote