Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Another first tuber try. Need advice please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Another first tuber try. Need advice please.

Hi guys, This is my first try at brazing up a chassis. I tried to copy a design I saw here I thought was very cool.

However, I am not happy with the front and rear where the tube ends show. Any ideas on how I could fix that? Still have to install link and shock mounts. Not sure exactly where to put those either.

I think I can sand the brazed joint to make them look smoother. They didn't turn out as nice looking as I hoped they would. But man are those joints strong! Harris # 45.

Any other advice or criticism would be appreciated. Thanks! -Bob

CRAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

First off, looks good. Nice welds; clean flowing lines. Nice.

Suggestions.

You need something to brace that huge front end. One good tumble and you will bend that if it is not reinforced. One quick way is the solid maroon lines (dotted just show you where they should flow into). I would say you will need more that that, but I would have to hold the chassis to tell you exactly where. Something connecting that front to the main cab, get creative. You also need the solid red line, not just for strength, but also to have someplace to mount your hood. The lower bars will be needed too; you did not say what axles you were using (by the design I can only guess clod; no trans mount) but you need something down there incase of a fall.

I put the green line there just because it is nice work, all one piece- very hard to do on your first try (shit, I still can't do it! lol)

To fix your tube ends, what I do (assuming you are using 3/16" brake line) is tap them to 6/32 thread. Put a small screw in there, then cut the head off. A little grinding and it will look like solid rod.

Link/Shock mounts.

Again, without holding it and knowing that axles you are using... this is my best guess. Green lines just represent mounting holes.

Joints look pretty smooth. If you have a bench grinder, mount up a wire wheel and hit them pretty hard with it, they will clean up. You really only need to hit the outside, no one should be looking at the inner welds.

any more questions; ask away.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Great ideas Matt, thanks for going to the trouble. That's 1/4" tube, probably should have used 3/16 but it looked so small. The 1/4" is pretty hard to work with so the next one will be 3/16.

I'll work on your suggestions and keep going.

-Bob
Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Mr. Pink knows his stuff.
You can also add a x brace from his red line on the bottom "windshield" area to the front for a little added strength.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Mr. Pink knows his stuff.
You can also add a x brace from his red line on the bottom "windshield" area to the front for a little added strength.
Wow, that is exactly what I did! I added the lower windshield piece and ran the X to that.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That will keep it from tweaking.. nice work.

I see you hit it with the wire wheel too, or sandpaper.

you never said what axles you are using.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
That will keep it from tweaking.. nice work.

I see you hit it with the wire wheel too, or sandpaper.

you never said what axles you are using.
Yes, I took your advice and grabbed a 6" wire wheel at HD, made a huge difference. As for axles, I am not sure. All I have done in the past was with clod axles but I would really like this to have a tranny with drive shafts. However, I need to do much more searching here to figure out how to bring it all together. Looks like there are a ton of options there. Also I am not sure which scale this is. The chassis turned out to he 12 L x 4 W x 4.5 H.

As you can see I have a lot to learn.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWL_BOY View Post
Also I am not sure which scale this is. The chassis turned out to he 12 L x 4 W x 4.5 H.

As you can see I have a lot to learn.
You seem to learn pretty quick.

As for the "scale" I think you might mean "class" I would run it in super with some clod axles and a 16.5" wheelbase.

you will want to make a skidplate for it, just use some cutting board material. Cut it to fit and attach it from the sides. Leaving it open will get you caught on everything.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
I would run it in super with some clod axles and a 16.5" wheelbase.
That would be the easiest thing to do, clod axles I have.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That's alot more involved than my first build, looks great. You've got two of the best for guidance, looking forward to more build pics!
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
You've got two of the best for guidance,....
No kidding there. After Mrpink and Double J posted I searched their posts and was in awe of their work. There is a real art to tuber design and fabrication and obviously they have it. They are also willing to answer n00b questions.

I just looked over your tuber build and really like it, nice lines and worked out well. Frankly I wish I had tried something a bit less complicated. I am stalled right now and considering changing the front end. Just isn't looking like I envisioned it. :-(
Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No kidding there. After Mrpink and Double J posted I searched their posts and was in awe of their work. There is a real art to tuber design and fabrication and obviously they have it. They are also willing to answer n00b questions.

I just looked over your tuber build and really like it, nice lines and worked out well. Frankly I wish I had tried something a bit less complicated. I am stalled right now and considering changing the front end. Just isn't looking like I envisioned it. :-(
Thanks for the complement.

I think your doing a great job for your first build. The front end isn't the "prettiest" looking but I can see and advange to it. You will be able to get a good amount of mouting points on it for your shocks and should be durable. I say complete this one, try it out if you don't like it make another. I don't think anyone keeps their first(2nd, 3rd) tuber for very long.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
I don't think anyone keeps their first(2nd, 3rd) tuber for very long.
I still have my first... just because I couldn't even give it away

I agree with J, finish this one... you will learn alot more.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks, started simple on this one. I've already shetched out a second design that will be a bit more complicated. Gimbal's thread has some great jig tips I want to try out.

Like the guys said, finish this one. It will help you make the improvements on the next build.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the encouragement; I really don't need another unfinished project sitting on the bench. I have a few ideas on an way to mod the front end that should help out a bit. I too saw Gimbal's thread about jigs and need to think hard about doing something like that. I can already see that building these "free hand" isn't working out for me.

I was just looking over a build of Mrpink's he calls Mugsy. Really like the simplicity of the design and was wondering if it's considered okay to copy others designs? Would hate to commit 'tuber plagiarism'.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was just looking over a build of Mrpink's he calls Mugsy. Really like the simplicity of the design and was wondering if it's considered okay to copy others designs? Would hate to commit 'tuber plagiarism'.
That tuber was called "little ugly" It is now owned by woodie.

Mr. Pink's Little Ugly

mugsy I believe was built by rckjeep.

Copying weld for weld, tube for tube is sort of frowned upon (besides, what fun it that?). Getting concepts and ideas form other builds and builders, on the other hand, is fine by me.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

You guys were nice but that HUGE UGLY nose had to go.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Looks like a great start! One of these days I plan to make one...
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

very nice for your first time.

i still have my first tuber i built when i was 15(17 now). Just could'nt bring myself to part with it. I really enjoy building tube chassis, there unique and not everyone can build one.
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys! Now I am trying to decide on which axles to use. I see a lot of guys using AX-10 axles and trannys and they end up looking really nice. I stuck a set of clod axles under this chassis and it didn't look right.