Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stampede shocks as droop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Stampede shocks as droop?

I have a question for somebody that knows the ends and outs of droop shocks. Along with some opinions.

First off I want my Super to have a low CG so think that a droop would be the way to go but... This whole droop thing makes logic go out the window! Get a shock, take the spring off of it and place one on the inside I understand. If the spring is is on top of the piston! The shock compresses and so does the spring, not a droop right? If you place the spring below the piston the shock compresses and the spring extends, but when the shock extends the spring compresses, this is droop? It seems to me that is counter productive to "free" motion. Any placement of the piston anywhere inside of the spring is not possible because the piston wont seal against the shock body and bind the spring in the body itself. So with that said a droop setup shock should have "forced motion" in the extend direction and limited "resistive motion" in the compress direction. The only way I can think to do this is to have a "REALLY" light spring rate that would be almost fully compressed at ride height to allow the shock to control the speed of compression yet allow the thing to fully extend under the rebound characteristics of the spring! How do you accomplish this and with what parts or assembly methods?

Second is there a certain shock oil that works better with a droop shock than others. I think a lighter or thiner oil would work best to allow the least resistance but that could be all wrong. If you use a heavy or thicker oil you could essentially use it as the spring itself and rely on that to support the weight of the vehicle. That might also be counter productive because it would also make the shock very "slow". So why use one weight oil as apposed to the other?

Third if somebody is running a full droop setup on there rig that at rest the shocks are fully collapsed and turns it into a kind of "pimp cane". What i mean is that all suspension is handled then by the tires and flex of the chassis over flat or simple rough terrain only when the thing flexes enough to extend the shocks do they come into play at all. Am I thinking right or not and if I am why do this at all? Wouldn't it be better to have "some" cushion to keep things from breaking? Something like a bump stop on a real vehicle.

Last what does anybody think of Stampede shocks in a droop setup? They sure are long enough to handle lots of travel! I think they might work well with a standard internal spring so it has some "pre-loaded" droop yet maintain some compression and true extended travel length. This will allow for the shock oil to come into play more to slow it on compression and not let it just "fall" when extended.

I know that this has been a long thread and appreciate those that have set through it and took the time to give some feedback on this subject. I know that a lot of people benefit from this site for technical input and these questions although hit upon on other threads I don't think have been truly answered.

Last edited by jeepfreek; 11-17-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Only 1 reply and want to get better feedback
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i ran a droop setup on my cobra tuber and used the stamped shocks and 40wt oil and no internal spring and it worked fine for me. but im still learning about the whole droop thing as well. and what i used as far as a cushion was some fuel tube around the shaft on the outside of the shock and it worked great.
Dickie691986 is offline   Reply With Quote