Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Delrin Chassis Thickness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Delrin Chassis Thickness

Hello everybody. I was just needing some opinions. For a 4-link Delrin chassis for a 25lbs rig, how thick do you think the side and base plates out to be? I was thinking 1/2", the maker recommended 1/4" because that's what he uses all the time and it costs half as much to buy.

THanks!
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Hmm, 25 pound rig huh? I have used 3/16" for a 10 pound super, but to go over twice that in weight...I'd say 1/4" is a minimum. Maybe 5/16" would be a happy medium before going as thick as 1/2".

Much of it will depend on how many cross ties from plate to plate you'll have, and how large the plate design itself is.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The chassis itself is 6-7" wide and 15-16" long. There aren't going to be any cross-ties as much as there will be 3 crossplates to tie the two halves together (you know, one for front, rear, and center) similar to the layout of the reign chassis, but wider with crossplates instead of crossties.

http://www.reignrc.com/images/K2-3/k2-3l.jpg
Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNguyen View Post
Hello everybody. I was just needing some opinions. For a 4-link Delrin chassis for a 25lbs rig, how thick do you think the side and base plates out to be? I was thinking 1/2", the maker recommended 1/4" because that's what he uses all the time and it costs half as much to buy.

THanks!
What the hell are you building?
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had some split-axle solid axles built (Reapers customs) for me so I could them on a robot that could still use all the gearboxes, wheels, and motors, and shafts for RC trucks but still let it turn on the spot. It needs two transmissions (one to drive the left and right side) which is why it's so wide.

I'm not sure how much everything weigh so I kind of pulled really conservative ballpark numbers out of the air for all the parts and it came to 25lbs (I was also given a number of 18lbs for an all metal rig so I tacked on a bunch more electronics and battery weight). I'm using two 3025-12s to drive it anyways (because they're the slowest Hyperions of the right size ones that have a 5mm shaft so I can use an unmodified RC4WD gear) so it might as well be a bit heavy. It also gives me an excuse to build a big honking BLDC motor controller.

Last edited by DKNguyen; 11-24-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Sounds lie your making a moon rover instead of a crawler. you will have to post some pictures when its done
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
Sounds lie your making a moon rover instead of a crawler. you will have to post some pictures when its done
But the options that are normally used for attaching images seems to be missing on this particular board? Otherwise I'd post pictures of the axles.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

For a chassis plate that large with little cross ties, I'd definitely use 1/2" material.

You can attach images 2 ways...either click the little yellow mountain image in the post authoring toolbar (3 over from the one you used to post the link) if you have the image on the internet....or you can attach the file from your computer. I am not sure though if the "file attachment" ability is available when you're not a star member?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
I am not sure though if the "file attachment" ability is available when you're not a star member?

THat could be why.

Last edited by DKNguyen; 11-24-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think I would go with 1/2 inch. 1/4 just seems a bit flimsy for the size and weight you are talking about. Be sure you round the cut angle out so you don't have sharp angles cut out of the derlin. Those sharp angles pose a stress point.
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote