Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Is this body legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is this body legal?

Is a lexan body in the shape of a tube chassis legal? As long as you follow the length, width and height requirements listed in the rules for tube frame chassis, would a lexan body shaped like one be acceptable for comps? In addition to the size requirements, it would be shaped to resemble a 1:1 rock crawler rig or one of the current comp legal rc tube frame chassis.

If yes, I think it would allow bodies to be produced that didn't need to be cut up to clear the tires and axle articulation.

If no, why not. The current baja bug bodies are cut up and have about as much lexan showing as a legal tube frame chassis shaped in lexan, would have.

For example, a lexan body shaped like a Hustler chassis

Last edited by John; 12-04-2007 at 01:58 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

edit: you mean like this?
http://www.majesticrc.com./products/...d&productId=66
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Is a lexan body in the shape of a tube chassis legal? As long as you follow the length, width and height requirements listed in the rules for tube frame chassis, would a lexan body shaped like one be acceptable for comps?
Yes a body shaped like a tube framed rig would be legal, however it would have to fit the measurements for a body not a chassis.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
Yep
Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Yes a body shaped like a tube framed rig would be legal, however it would have to fit the measurements for a body not a chassis.
Then I guess a Hustler shaped lexan body would be legal.

The body is 1/10 scale or bigger
The body retains 70% of its original form (Hustler would be 100%)
The body resembles 70% of is original form (Hustler would be 100%)
The cab retains the original width.

Am I reading into this correct?

Last edited by John; 12-04-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: error in percentage
Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
R.I.P. Chip

Actually John the body rules read:

for the 2.2 class
Quote:
Vehicle must run a body that is 1/10th scale or larger. Legality of a body is to be determined by the event
judges. Judging guidelines are as follows: 3” minimum height on sides. No more than 3” taken off total
length. No less than 12.5” total length and full width, or no less then 5" in the center.
for the super class
Quote:
Vehicle must run a body that is 1/10th scale or larger. Legality of a body is to be determined by the event
judges. Judging guidelines are as follows: 3” minimum height on sides. No more than 3” taken off total
length. No less than 12.5” total length and full width, or no less then 5" in the center.
Basically it needs to be 1/10, 12.5" long, 3" tall, and 5" wide. Without running to the shop to measure my Hustler I'm going to guess that it is narrower than 5" and therefore would not be acceptable.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

As long as the Hustler meets these requirements, seems to me you'd be able to pull a lexan mold of one and run it w/o problem.

From the USRCCA 2007 rules: "3” minimum height on sides. No more than 3” taken off total
length. No less than 12.5” total length and full width, or no less then 5" in the center."

Edit: Jason beat me.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Actually John the body rules read:

for the 2.2 class

for the super class

Basically it needs to be 1/10, 12.5" long, 3" tall, and 5" wide. Without running to the shop to measure my Hustler I'm going to guess that it is narrower than 5" and therefore would not be acceptable.

Thanks, just noticed I linked up to the 2006 rules.

Hmm, I wonder what a lexan Hustler chassis or any of the other tube chassis produced by the vendors would look like with a 5" width at the cab/center frame section. Could still narrow it down at the front and back like the stock tube chassis, to allow tire travel room. The body could be made so hacking up is not needed. I think some of Mr. Pinks chassis would meet those requirements.

How does the 1/10 scale come into play, since there isn't a 1:1 version of the Hustler and many tube chassis produced by the vendors. In that case would the 12.5" length, 3" height and 5" width be the deciding factor?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
According to the rules, I believe that would be legal. It depends on if you need to be 1/10 scale from a actual 1:1 version.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
How does the 1/10 scale come into play, since there isn't a 1:1 version of the Hustler and many tube chassis produced by the vendors. In that case would the 12.5" length, 3" height and 5" width be the deciding factor?
Correct, just go off the measurements. We are currently going through the rules for the '08 season, I planned on recommending dropping the "1/10" wording from them.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Correct, just go off the measurements. We are currently going through the rules for the '08 season, I planned on recommending dropping the "1/10" wording from them.

Thank you, sir.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Dropping the 1:10 from the wording of the rules in an excellent idea. It's too subjective, somebody could call into question the accuracy of a mfgr's claimed size, and start comparing to actual truck or car deminsions, which would likely find MANY currently used bodies too small to qualify (Stampede bodies, for example).

Here in WA, we focus on the dimentional requirements, as they are very clear cut.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think some of Mr. Pinks chassis would meet those requirements.
my chassis's, for the most part, are 4.5" wide and 10" long (well over 3" tall). wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get it to work. Half inch on the sides, and one inch both front and back, presto chango....

I would be down for someone giving it a shot; question I have is, why would you want to?
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
my chassis's, for the most part, are 4.5" wide and 10" long (well over 3" tall). wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get it to work. Half inch on the sides, and one inch both front and back, presto chango....

I would be down for someone giving it a shot; question I have is, why would you want to?

Because they are a "work of art".

and

-No fenders to get in the way
-Less weight
-May offer an alternative for those that can't afford the real deal but like the look.
-Gives those with a side plate chassis an alternative to truck or bug bodies.

Edit:
I would hope if someone did replicate one of the tube chassis designs from one of the vendors, they would compensate them or at least get approval to copy the design ahead of time.

Last edited by John; 12-04-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added line
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Edit:
I would hope if someone did replicate one of the tube chassis designs from one of the vendors, they would compensate them or at least get approval to copy the design ahead of time.
me too!!!

interesting idea... don't know if my style of chassis would be best suited, granted I know nothing about lexan, and lexan forming...

maybe something like the one Boyer made for me....

mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote