Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Trail Finder Truck Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #101
RCC Addict

so if i were to order on monday, how long before it hits my door? 2 weeks?
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #102
Pebble Pounder

Well, RC4WD solved my issue very professional. Really great service from the guys.

About the postage, it took from rc4wd to me mostly 1 to max. 2 weeks. But mostly more close to 1 week. I'm located in The Netherlands.
Vapex.eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #103
Pebble Pounder

Emaxxjeremy, I finally got mine today. From order to my door was 5 weeks exactly but I'm sure more kinks are being worked out as we speak. To give RC4WD some credit, it really does look like the only real delay they have is keeping parts in stock but that is very understandable do to the level of machining in the parts. Still haven't opened the box yet, it's staring me down like an acceptance letter from Harvard! Hope I see what I wanna see inside!! Pics later

P.S. Jeff - no tracking given whatsoever for mine either!! I dont know how usps would take responsibity for losing a package if they dont even show picking it up? RC4WD LOOK INTO THIS!!!
crawleR07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Guys this kit is so nice it's crazy. That's what makes waiting for it so damn hard!! It drove me nuts waiting but it is worth every penny and more. Everything is complete as far as I can tell with every first choice I picked. There is plenty of hardware for the build and everything is very well packaged except one of my frame rails has a knick in it but I don't care I'm just so glad it's here. Waiting on getting some sort of grinding tool to "chino mod" the leafs then I will put up some pics of a roller soon hopefully. It really is a work of art, gonna be hard to scratch it up but I'll find a way to cope Oh and the D40 axles are sick!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

hey guys i got mine in a "mocked" up roller right now. it looks sick with the clod body on it.. ill post some pics in the morning...,,,,sick i tell you!!!!!!

Last edited by JEFF THE JET; 06-29-2008 at 06:43 AM.
JEFF THE JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

emaxxjeremy, I would say 2-3 weeks right now.
rc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

A couple of notes after some assembling, I don't know what they were going for when they made the body mounts but they are completely useless for the hilux body. The front mount can be salvaged but the rears are scrap. Also the scale shocks while having a very cool scale appearance don't work at all. They stick and are hard enough prop up a real truck, if any of you guys have found a way to make the scale shocks work please let me know. Other than those two minor problems the kit is awesome and went together very nicely. I had to turn the leaf mounts around so the leaves wouldnt bind also, this is due to the leaf mounts on the axles being a little wider than the shackles/mounts on the chassis. But like its been said before if everything went together perfectly it would take the fun of working on it away. Once I figure out how to get this thing to flex more than a quarter inch I'll be a happy camper
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

We are working on a new set of body post already, we will have them out hopefully by end of the week. We will make a couple of different height for different bodies out there. Please post a specific height that you want, if you need something custom done.
rc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #109
Pebble Pounder

I just took the springs out of the shocks, and did you oil the shocks? Im only using the main leaf spring and no springs in the shocks, just oil. i can get about 2-3 inches of flex with a battery and all on there. I think after you put the body on and add all the extra goodies, it would flex pretty good. after a while, im going to try and do some different internal springs. the body posts are pretty rediculus, i thought it would work out somewhat, i put like a half inch spacer under the front mody mount, i dont have my hilux body yet so i cant test it out, but it looks like it will work possibly. I think that what should happen to get a real scale is to get the body to sit lower, it cant sit low at all right now becuase the grill hits the front of the chassis. i think if you moved the back mounts forward a half inch and moved the front post forward a little, the body would sit better, you could get the overall apperance much better, unless you like the huge body lift it has with the stock mounting locations.
RcFanatic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #110
Pebble Pounder

What do you mean by oiling the shocks? Shouldn't they have oil in them? The shafts should oil themselves. Ive been squeezin em to try to get them to loosen up a little but they stick at the bottom of the travel for some reason. Id take out the springs but i dont have any shock oil to replace it with right now. Sucks, I really like the look of these I just wish they worked.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #111
Pebble Pounder

I've never really messed with shocks but is it possible to shorten the spring without ruining it? I suppose the spring has to be a certain length otherwise there would be a gap in the travel. I just dont want to have to resort to a non scale shock just to get it to work right.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

mine seem to work smoothly? although they are pretty stiff.
JEFF THE JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #113
Pebble Pounder

.... there isnt any oil in the shocks.. i filled mine up with 30wt oil. maybe they have a little oil like out of a spray can but not a thick stuff. open them up and take the springs out if you want to, but if your taking them out your going to want to fill them up with oil. there is not any oil in them like i said. you could shorten the spring, but the spring will still be really really stiff, i mean, i think im just going to trim mine up after i try putting them in a vice and squeezing them together for a night to see if that will shorten em up a bit or at least loosen them. what i may try doing, i've done it with other shocks before, is cutting them pretty short, and then stretching them out with my hands, if you can pull them far enough apart and hold it, it usually makes them longer, that way it wouldent have as many coils, so it would be softer, thats just my theory though haha.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

They dont have any oil in them??? Weird. So with oil and no springs they must work pretty smoothly, I'll have to crack one open and take a look. Just screw the top off right? I worked them like crazy in my hand before I installed them and I must have worn away what little oil or grease was in there and that must be why they are sticking after theyve sat a while.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #115
Pebble Pounder

rcfanatic, did you use 30wt shock oil or actual 30wt car oil? Dumb question but you never know..
Old 06-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #116
Pebble Pounder

shock oil, from my axial set.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #117
Pebble Pounder

I wish I waited to get my kit haha, that way i coulda gotten the dual rate shocks for only $15 more, but i ordered before any of that was an option, with the dual rate shocks, i bet you get such easier flex, escpecially with the 4 link setup.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #118
Pebble Pounder

The dual spring shocks are cool but if they dont actually have two different spring rates then I dont see the point of having two springs, it's just a gimmick then, it would perform just the same if it were a one piece spring
Old 06-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #119
Pebble Pounder

i dont care about the dual rate thing, they look really good, i like the look of them more than the white springs, and with no spring on the outside there even better.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

yo crawler this may help ya a lil bit wit the smoothness of the shocks .... pull them off the truck remove the cap on the bottom of the shock where the shaft enters the body at and remove one of the lil plastic bushings and replace the cap .... this should not make the shocks leak either .....

yo fanitic i got a set of dual rate shocks and dont like them for my set up u wtb pm me .....
rockwood330 is offline   Reply With Quote