Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Harley's New Scale Frame for the High Lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
20K Club

Default Harley's New Scale Frame for the High Lift

In anticipation of the up coming release of the Hilux on the F-350 platform I have decided I want to design a new scale frame for these rigs.

Many of you know the X-Trail the I designed for the Axial AX-10 to convert it into a scale rig. I based the profile of that frame off of a Bruiser, I want this chassis to follow similar lines.

The Re-release of the Hilux body deserves a better appearing chassis, I think we can handle that.

The X-Trail was a different type of project then this one. This one I am going to involve everyone for the whole process. I will be taking your suggestions and comments the whole time.

Project Overview/Goals:
  • More scale style profile
  • Reposition stock components to improve style and performance
  • Allow for mounting of transmission in stock location and "clocked position"
  • Reuse as many stock components as possible to keep cost down for you
I hope that all of you will comment on the things you would like to see be introduced.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
20K Club

Side note, this will also be the build thread for my F-350 tow rig for my new Hilux (make sense?)

I am actually going to be building **cough** having built **cough** a tube trailer. I actually designed a tube trailer for a co-worker this summer for his 1:1 project. He built it this summer and it turned out pretty good. So why not have a scale one made for myself :-P

I have renderings of the model, but I forgot them at work today. I also have pictures of the 1:1 that was built.

Ultimate goal is for a Harley (Davidson) edition F-350 with an MFU pulling a trail ready Yota Hilux on a good looking trailer.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sounds cool Josh. Since you said you want it to use most of the stock parts are you gonna set it up for leaf springs or 4-link? Id personally like to see it have the ability to run either one.

Last edited by aggressivellc; 10-26-2007 at 06:43 PM.
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressivellc View Post
Sounds cool Josh. Since you said you want it to use most of the stock parts are you gonna set it up for leaf springs or 4-link? Id personally like to see it have the ability to run either one.
I personally would like to get one of the prototypes to test it!
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Maybe make it wide enough for a R2 tranny with an adapater for the stock tranny and at least the rear four linked. Also make it so you can run 1.9 and not look like it has 12" of lift.
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
20K Club

Since I am going to use the Bruiser profile as a starting point, the center drop down section lends itself nicely to 4 link mounting locations.

I want to be able to give you the fewest amount of parts possible, this keeps machining time down, number of vendors I have to use down, and ultimately keeps the cost to you down and it will get to you quicker.

Plates are also being developed to clock the transmission on its side, rotate the motor, and clock the transfer case. This will provide a lower COG, more room for interior, and clearance to lower the body. They will also be available separately so that you can use them on any build with a 3-speed you want.

I still need to model all the stock parts, that will easily take me 20-30 hours. Hopefully I can have it done next week sometime. This will give us lots of time for brain storming

I also want to use the same shape for the shock towers that I did on the X-Trail, because I think they look cool

I will post a conceptual profile shape later tonight I hope.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good man. Cant wait to see it.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

a place on the chassis for a winch would be nice
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

how about coil spring perches that ya can mount on the front of the chassis? like for a cherokee or early bronco ?
pro beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

how about a better steering setup?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

don't forget mounting points for the R2 tranny
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
Plates are also being developed to clock the transmission on its side, rotate the motor, and clock the transfer case. This will provide a lower COG, more room for interior, and clearance to lower the body. They will also be available separately so that you can use them on any build with a 3-speed you want.
Don't forget increased ground clearence clarence.

I say forget the R2 mounts, this is a 3-speed frame!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #13
'08 2.2 National Champ

I'm loving the idea
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

more holes for mounting tube flat beds and exo's... I dont see any spare holes on the xtrail. just makes things a little easier for us tubers.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

i'm going to try to make as scale a rig as i can soon...say a chev,custom made frame so its as close to real life as possible,opening doors,hood and tail gate,find a motor and put it into a model 350 or something,fuel cell w/ reciver(stolen idea ;)) custom interior and a ton of other stuff....but cant wait to see pics of yours..
chrispl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #16
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
more holes for mounting tube flat beds and exo's... I dont see any spare holes on the xtrail. just makes things a little easier for us tubers.
That is a tough thing to do, you don't want to add too many holes and have the rails end up looking like swiss cheese (MFM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispl View Post
i'm going to try to make as scale a rig as i can soon...say a chev,custom made frame so its as close to real life as possible,opening doors,hood and tail gate,find a motor and put it into a model 350 or something,fuel cell w/ reciver(stolen idea ;)) custom interior and a ton of other stuff....but cant wait to see pics of yours..
Uhhh.......what did you just say?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

sounds like it will be a good frame but why lock the tranny posision then we're still stuck with the low center clearance and half to change how we put in the trannyor use a diffrent tranny

and try keeping it so you can run leafs or 4link

Last edited by hiliftcrawler; 10-29-2007 at 07:19 PM.
hiliftcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiliftcrawler View Post
sounds like it will be a good frame but why lock the tranny posision then we're still stuck with the low center clearance and half to change how we put in the tranny or use a diffrent tranny
Transmission plates are being developed to change the way the transmission is configured. This will help clearances and ground clearance.

The high lift is NOT a crawler, it is a scale rig. It can be transformed into a capable trail rig imitating a crawler however. The goal for this chassis is to improve the scale appearance and improve the performance as much as possible at the same time.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #19
RCC Addict

will this chassis be able to have the factory tilt bed?
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

When are you hopeing to have this chassis done by? This chassis could be the deciding factor as to whether i get the highlift hilux or not. Im really looking foward to seeing the chassis built and being able to have a competitive scale rig with a 3 speed

Jon
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote