Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: LED kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default LED kits

i was wanting to get the new proline body that is coming out soon "the scale one" and was wondering about LEDS for that. i have the ax10 rtr and it comes with a 2 channel remote which i know cant control them, and was wondering if for the leds i could turn them on by switch on the truck? or is there some expansion kit that adds extra to your current controller? im not looking for any expencive work because i plan to upgrade the controller when i get the $$$
lemons17771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

their are a couple options on the market or coming to market very soon.

one is a small unit called the ULC, Ultra Light Controller. this lil unit is a nice controller for your lighting system. it is made by CBE (Custom Baja Electronics) who started making lights for the HPI Baja 5B light pods, as well as a remote operated kill switch for the motors. he has been designing new things to use and this is one of them.
back to the light controller. it will opperate like a 1:1 light setup would.
i think its going to have 2 front light circuts, cappible of up to 8 lights (hpi baja light pod clusters) that have dim/bright/off functions, and 1 rear light circut which will have constant on (dim for running tail lights) with a programable brake light function when braking/reversing. i think the brake light function will work indipendant of the other lights being on/off, so as long as the controller is plugged in and functioning, you ll get brake lights 100% of the time, then have the ability to turn on the head/tail lights. Im not 100% sure on the brake light all the time, but i do know the rest of the setup is this way. These should be available in the next month or two. last i knew, Gussy was getting the last of the parts together.

the 2nd option i know of is from Eagleviewmotorsports. this is similar to the ULC, but is on a flat circut board, allows for head/tail lights and programmable brake lights. this unit must have the lights on for the brake light to work last i knew, and is a bit bigger, but works very well.

both units are around 50.00 no lights and require a 3rd channel to function. if you have a Dig/RWS or other 3rd chnl function, you ll need a 4cnl radio like the React/Sensor or 4PK, or a Speky 6DX type radio to add lights. I have both of these units and was going to use them on my Bajas, but instead will only use one on the baja, and one on one of my crawlers, prolly my scaler so i can use the bright/dim headlights and constant brake light setup for realism.

there are other options you can get too, but most require a 3rd channel or a manual switch to work. ive even seen a pressure activated setup on the t/b servo for brakeing, but that wont work with the esc t/b setups.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm looking ot this right now as well. I'm building a new tuber for my kid, and wanted to put LED's on it. I noticed those controllers, but am thinking something more simple like a switch on the dash powwered by the battery.

I'm mainly looking for some 'warm' LED's for the rock lights (4-6), two ultra brights for the headlights, and two not-bright red taillights that do not work as brake lights.

I'm not sure where to source these parts. I have two 'AA' mag reflectors on order for the Rubicon body headlights; but what about rosk lights/ tail light housings?

Thanks!
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For my light buckets I use the lamp modules for the Pelican 1900 Mitylites. For about $6 there not too bad considering they come with a Xenon lamp and the reflector is polished and true.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #5

For a cheap solution

http://www.windycitynovelties.com/EP...FQrFGgodS0wNXw

It's as a small circuit board , it's come in some variety, (mine have 6 led, with 3 toggle mode)
Mode 0 Off
Mode 1 (2 inner led "white" steady on )
Mode 2 (4 inner led "white" Steady on )
Mode 3 (2 outer led "Red" blinking )

The chrome led holder can be reuse as well.

Just another option
SD333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

There are a few options when it comes to LED units. Most "factory" made RC LED units plug into your RX and get power from there. They are usually turned on and off via a switch or button on the unit itself. You can run some off batteries however some have flashing lights, indicators and brake lights and need that little extra power for longer operational times.

You can always make a DIY set of LED light like the above posts mentioned as well as DIY light buckets.
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You should be able to use your 2-channel receiver. Just plug it into the battery slot. Even if you don't have a free slot, you can wire it up with a y-harness connector.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So where do people usually go to get the actual LED parts?
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #9

I'm guessing ebay or Radio Shack or equivalent will be a good place to find the actual parts... I've actually ordered an 'electronics for dummies' type book so I can learn how to solder up LED sets, it's dark up here after work and that's about the only time I have to run

Does anyone have any links to good instruction sets about building RC-specific light sets?
krush groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here are some links to check out.
http://www.rc-lights.com/

This one can be used to get light buckets, lenses, and I think LED's
http://flashlightking.com/
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

cheap easy lights

http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB9998

Last edited by DeweyCJ5; 11-22-2008 at 10:07 AM.
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

If you want cheap lights that work well,use battery operated xmas wreath lights.They use 4 AA batts.Target and Wal Mart have them for about $5.99 for a a string of about 15.I used book lights from the Dollar Store for the lenses and buckets on my Bushwacker.I used LED holders from Radio Shack for the brake and driving lights.They work real well and as you can see throw out a bit of light.In the pic I have 4 lights up front and 2 tail lights.TO get them red I just dipped them in Tamiya clear red paint.

Last edited by 72Blazer; 11-22-2008 at 11:46 AM.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

hey, what happened to my post on 11/19/08?
anyways here, i'll post it again.

just like ecoli said, just use the stock radio, and get some lights. i got my from customrccars.com ( http://www.customrccars.com/product_...at=29&custom=0 ) they work really great. or you could check out www.rc-lights.com or get RAM lights from tower hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...AdvancedSearch
88gators325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #14

if you want easy and cheep...since LED's chew VERY little voltage..just wire them in DIRECTLY to the battery plug..if the battery is plugged in the lights are on......a few resistors and some LED's wont cost you much..heck if you buy em on ebay you can get 100 led's with resistors for under10$ shipped...just remember that "most" led's are 3v..so resistor them or run a few in series to bring them up to the normal voltage of the battery your running
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

72 blazer, can you post a pic with out the lights on...I am also putting brake lights on my bushwacker. Would like another idea. I am going to the dollar store and puck up some small flashlights for the buckets and epoxy them on, Might have to build the rear lights. I want a square light not a round one. Good ideas guys......
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #16

fww radio shack sells a VERY scale looking flat square red LED..its a hair small to be a 1/12th jeep tail light
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
if you want easy and cheep...since LED's chew VERY little voltage..just wire them in DIRECTLY to the battery plug..if the battery is plugged in the lights are on......a few resistors and some LED's wont cost you much..heck if you buy em on ebay you can get 100 led's with resistors for under10$ shipped...just remember that "most" led's are 3v..so resistor them or run a few in series to bring them up to the normal voltage of the battery your running
That's cool, that's pretty much what I'm happy to do. I found this listing for white LEDs which include the resistor: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Five-5mm-White...3A1|240%3A1318 and they sell red LEDs as well. I suppose I'll have to read up on resistors to get the right amount of voltage to the LED wires (if these are 3v LEDs then I'm guessing 2 white 3v and 2 red 3v bulbs would do the trick to get 12v...but the batteries I use are 7.4v, so how do I wire them then?

Should I just use a couple of 9v batteries and wire 3 lights to each one?

Thanks for the info btw, I'm fine with plugging things in for RC, I'm just not good at figuring out stuff like this!
krush groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

http://www.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2761
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
72 blazer, can you post a pic with out the lights on...I am also putting brake lights on my bushwacker. Would like another idea. I am going to the dollar store and puck up some small flashlights for the buckets and epoxy them on, Might have to build the rear lights. I want a square light not a round one. Good ideas guys......
Here ya go,The brake light housing is the same as the front driving lights.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
CBR
Rock Crawler

This may be useful for wiring your own led kits:
http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html
Lots of good info!
and here is a led calculator: http://ledcalc.com/

Last edited by CBR; 11-24-2008 at 11:37 AM.
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote