Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Snow Plow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Colt Python/SR9c

Default Snow Plow

Yep, it hits winter and everyone decides to build a snow plow.. For those that have made them or building them now, do you have pics of your setup/mounting?

Question I have in the mounting is. I have seen guys just hook a winch and pull it up, but how do you keep the plow from bouncing up and down during the work?

I understand once you get a blade full, it adds weight, but do you guys have springs that pull the plow down? Or are you guys using solid linkages to keep the blade at its location?

TIA
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Snowplows

Hi twisted, im new to the site so here goes. I have a vid of 2 plows ive built on my youtube www.youtube.com/doubi19 one is for my emaxx and the other is for my 1/18 Nylint crawler. They are both made out of PVC pipe, 4" and 6", the emaxx is mounted right to the same mounting holes for the bumper and is just slapped together out of some wood :s. The Nylint i just used a couple turnbuckles and threaded them into the back of the PVC blade then to the truck with ends. As for bouncing i see no problem because why should you be romping around so fast trying to plow snow you make the truck bounce ? Im still waiting for it to snow in my part of Ohio to get some action vids up. Plus im waiting on my 3channel to get here to rig up a winch. Hope this helps
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I also make my plows from PVC and there is enough weight to keep the plow down on the ground. I dont have any problems with the plows bouncing. I currently have a plow on a highlift and a bruiser, but I have mounted them on the xc chassis and a few old school rigs. I will try and get some pics.

Nate
sig_p232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yeah mine are definately heavy enough to stay down, i had to take the front most shocks off my emaxx and put in solid links (wood) lol just to keep the front end up. Got my 3 channel all in yesterday too with the lift servo. www.youtube.com/doubi19 to see the vids.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

Thanks for the replies. Never built a plow and just the thought of having no down pressure or a way to hold the plow in that location, would allow it to move freely up and down. Such as if you hit a patch of ice, it would skip up and over it, instead of staying in the spot to push it..

But thanks for the replies, I just didn't want to build it and that become a problem
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah, i thought about a set of shocks for downpressure, but mine is 19" wide and heavy as hell, plus my servo just barely has enough power to pick it up now. Its alot of trial and error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KFoT...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kn0t...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BToys...e=channel_page

Just a few vids so you dont have to go straight to my youtube page.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Trying to have Fun Again

Try this it is made for the clod but could be adapted to other rigs I bet. It is back ordered but gives you the idea or be able to search ebay for it or other places.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRBB6
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The one on my fj 6x6 in the 1.9 forum has a spring holding it firm to the ground and the winch lifts it up.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote