Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: My Scale build: Lead Foot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Scale build: Lead Foot

Well back in 2004 I started getting pieces for this then decided to get out of crawling due to a guy in the club. Well I have a scorpion and wheely king but no scaler. So digging through my tub of junk I find:

So the thoughts start racing through my head with a bazillion different ways this build could go. Well Finally decided lets take it a totally different way then before. I'm going to build it into what I think Ford should of built from the factory with a twist.

So here is where it sits now:

Got a ton of body work to do like my secret on the back, getting the grill mounted to the hood so it will open in 1 unit, and everything else for it. Still trying to decide on a chassis to run.

Anyways this is going to be a slow build since I start working 40-70 hour weeks next week for the next 4-8 months lol.
ManiacMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

nice. I can already tell this is gonna be a good build. *subscribed*
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks good!
I have a cool offroad racing game for my PC, called 'Leadfoot', it's made by a company called Ratbag.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Woke up this morning and walked out to the garage to see the gremlins attacked my body last night:

Guess all I'm left to do now is build functioning tube doors what a bummer. I need to add about 1/4" strip of styrene to the whole up cab to strengthen it since the doors go so high on the cab. Will cut the hood out later after getting the mass of the body work done so it will function but for now it's to brittle.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Very nice dude, looks like its gonna be a sweet build
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Figured since the gremlins attacked it with a butcher knife I should fix the doors lol. Anyways here is what I did along the window frame and upper door to support it more:

Here is a sneak peak at what is in store for the future of this creation:

Old 03-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Figured I would post an update since I've been dinking around trying to get my comp rig dialed in. Anyways I will let the picture speak for its self:

Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thinking about it I don't know if that picture does any justice. Being a family man and having a love to wheel I always wished there would of been a newer version of the Bronco. I love the way the Super Duty's look and the excursion. Well since we cut shit in the real world to make what we want why not in the R/C world. So I decided to eliminate a set of doors from the excursion so it can still carry the family but not be to long to handle most trails. Probably the same reason my 85 4runner is getting 6 buckets installed with its caged this summer. Anyways here is how it sits now:

I know the excursion has the retarded imo back door but I love the window/tailgate of the Bronco's so why not home make one to fit a wheelers needs. This is my first scale build and the first time I've played with Styrene but I already have planns for my scale tow rig.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

This is really cool Keep on going!
minifaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

nice! I'm diggin it.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

As a HUGE HUGE Bronco fan. THAT FRIGGIN ROCKS MAN!!!!

Keep up the great work bro. Finish it through.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #12

sweet man... yeah those grimlens... i hate when that happens... and i agree on the broncos... cool build i will be watching ..
RUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth View Post
sweet man... Cool build i will be watching ..
x2 !
Smootheggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

ford should have built this.cant wait to see the video.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Time for another update. I have total respect for people who fully detail their rigs. Anyways I wanted a fully working tailgate. So I drew up some idea's and played with it for the better half of the day. Well it is almost done just need 1 more paper clip.

Still need to take my dremel and round out a little under the handle so it is easier to lift up on but it works from the outside like it should.

Next on the list was some body protection. I didn't want to run factory tail lights since we all know how they like to grab rocks. So I'm going to run flush mount led's in the back but made these to protect the corners:

If you look at the corner you can see where our dumb blonde delivery driver forgot to set the e-brake on the company rig and it rolled back into the body. ( dumb co-workers grrrr)

I want to add a window to the back but it is looking like it will be to big and bulky to get it to work so that idea might just cause a permanently rolled down window.

Last edited by ManiacMagoo; 03-17-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

seeing its already been backed into make the back window half down and slanted as if its off track
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

If I made it half open then in reality the door wouldn't open.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Ok time for some big decisions. Should I narrow my wheely king axles I have on my desk and mount them up or go with axial axles? Was thinking of the RC4WD 60's but wanting to run power in it I don't want to kill them. I know the 60's would make the scale of it a lot better.

My other issue is making it 1.9 or 2.2. I originally cut the fenders to fully stuff 2.2 mashers but seeing were things have gone tire and rim wise 1.9 could possibly look scale in it. I'm wanting to hopefully compete next year with this since my money is to tight at the moment.

Still got tube doors, roof rack, sliders, lower body channeling replacment, lights, windows, and a bunch of other stuff to figure out while I decide what chassis to run. Need to find 1 for 11.5" wheel base and 16.5" frame length for this pig before I can even start on the interior and cage.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

very nice work.
I'd go with 1.9 flatirons. they're a very tall tire so they'll fill the wheel wells almost as the 2.2's would. or as close to it as a 1.9 can.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Got the tailgate mounted and working as intended: