Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: My first scale build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My first scale build

okay guys, I am finally starting my first scale build. Note sure yet on 1.9 or 2.2, so I am posting here. First off, pictures to come later, I am posting away from MY computer, so no pics.

I have 2 hard bodies, a TJ (have posted painting it pictures, but no build) which was my origional plan to build first, and a JK that I want to build later with more o fmy perfectionist attitude coming out. The origional plan was to build a hard-core crawler out of the TJ and keep the JK for more a stock lookign rig. I have gather parts (wheels, tires, etc.) and finally got my fisrt chassis yesterday. I got a killer deal, so I planned to put it aside and build the JK with it later.

I got a High lift chassis with the 3-speed tranny and motor, all the axles and links were included with shafts and shocks. The wheel base fits the TJ much better than the JK but I was told elsewhere that the highlift chassis worked for the JK bodies. Can I extend the links? Or should I use this heavy beast for the TJ build and start over with the JK? Also, can I movce the motor/transmission setup forward to keep space for the interior? It does nto seem to line up now, but would if I could move it under the hood more.

Any help is appreciated, and I promise, pictures to come soon. Also, if you are intrested in watching my build, ber patient. I have a fixed income for these type things, so builds go very slow (I have had the bodies for 6 months with no other parts, then added the tires/wheels and waited another 3 months for the chassis).
AZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

okay, no help yet... maybe pictures will help.

Here is what I got:

I mounted my 2.2 tires for the TJ crawler build (to have a stable platform), and put the TJ body on first. Sitting on the chassis, high, but the interior clears sort of...

Then I used a wire shelf to hold the JK body (the interior does not work at all as it is now with this chassis).

And here are some close ups of the chassis with no body.

The original rear steering is locked, and the shifter is forward. I am thinking of doing the engine up front swap I have seen online, and the shifter servo moving to the rear. I like the idea, but making a plate is not my deal, I will have to pay for one somewhere.
I am intending to keep a lower profile, so raising the transmission is not planned right now.

Any other things I need to add to my list to do? Any problems you see?
AZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #3

Good luck with the build. I too have built up a new bright jk on a scx10 chassis. Looks like you need to stretch it out just a bit. Keep us posted!
mike_777 is offline   Reply With Quote