Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Anyone build home grown Scalers anymore???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anyone build home grown Scalers anymore???

Soo, I was with the group here two weeks ago and they wife blew out her servo, fixed it..while I was doing that I let her run my Scout Scaler...I got back and she liked mine better..hers is a TLT with a home built chassis that set the Pede tranny WAY up in the air...SO I went searching to build a chassis...well eddievedder had a chassis for sale (its a Midgard scale comp chassis)..so I picked it up and rebuilt the wifes rig...Runs WAY better now...check it out....

And it does this.....Mine doesn't do this....thought that was pretty cool....

sooo, it got me thinking...does anyone still build from scratch anymore..with aftermarked chassis's? or do they buy a SCX or Hilux...

thats about it....thanks for lookin and coments.

Last edited by squatch71; 11-01-2009 at 08:36 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think a lot of people buy the kits because they're new. Hopefully they move from understanding how the kit parts all work together to more scratch built projects. Thats how it happened for me. I paid for my first crawler RTR, the gwagon. Next was the red range rover which started out as a simple assembly of parts on a custom chassis that was bought, then some real scratch built stuff.

The kits are a great introduction to hobby rc I think.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I like the RTRs don't get me wrong...this was my first swing at building most everything...links, skid plate (didn't use it..but I built one) etc....building links is a real treat for big hands...I think it came out pretty cool...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
RCC Addict

How would you classify converting !/6 Gi Joe Jeeps to RC??
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
How would you classify converting !/6 Gi Joe Jeeps to RC??
awesome....
Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've never bought a chassis in my life, scaler or comp truck. I think I've build 9 rigs so far. Hell, I still run a TLT comp truck, and do quite well with it .
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I've never bought a chassis in my life, scaler or comp truck. I think I've build 9 rigs so far. Hell, I still run a TLT comp truck, and do quite well with it .
You sir are the king of home made coolness. Having owned one of your trucks before, your craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing. You could and should teach a class.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #8
RCC Addict

The only kit I ever bought was a TLT back in 06' and ran those axles until recently.
I buile all my own chassis and enjoy it very much. that is why I got into the hobby, for the pure enjoyment of building something that actually does something.

have fun.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Its cheaper for me to get a kit, because I dont have the personal hobby shop some others do, or a crap load of all the right tools.

As I get more hobby stuff and tools, building something from scratch will become possible on a lower budget.

Somepeople take all the tools and exta little pieces they have laying around for granted. For me, every little part must be purchased.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
RCC Addict

The fabbing part of crawling is what drew me to this hobby. I have been extremely disappointed by racing and high end parts that do nothing. Very little fun for absurd money.
I cannot fab loads of stuff but I can make links, plates, the occasional chassis, standoffs etc. Generally simple stuff.
I do not own any decent tools either, a rotary tool, a 5 inch bench vise, a power drill and a few hacksaws files etc.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I still do it all the time. Probably going to replace the X-Trail on the Land rover with a homebrew soon. The X-Trail has been taco'd a few too many times.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The only kit I have purchased was my very first TLT....and it only lasted about 30 minutes as a kit...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
I think a lot of people buy the kits because they're new. Hopefully they move from understanding how the kit parts all work together to more scratch built projects. The kits are a great introduction to hobby rc I think.
It's tough to make your own chassis at first when you can pick up an SCX10 chassis for 55 bucks or so. They're cheap, very realistic looking, and tough as nails. They look way better than the standard issue "scale" chassis, most of which are nothing more than TVP's with a different shaped side plate.

Now that I've built 2 scale trucks from this platform and I'm a lot more familiar with it, the next level is the bend-and-split some 1/2" square tube method. I found the right size square tube stock at Tractor Supply on Saturday, I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.

The tough part is going to be narrowing the front section, so the steering gear has enough room to work properly (another forgotten factor on most TVP-type "scale" chassis)
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
sooo, it got me thinking...does anyone still build from scratch anymore..with aftermarked chassis's? or do they buy a SCX or Hilux...

thats about it....thanks for lookin and coments.
I prefer to build my own.....

Caged FJ-40 build
Subaru Brat build - the SCX10 KILLER
Burn Baby Burn-Disco INFERNO
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I build my own.
Currently building a JEEP cherokee body on a xtrail chassis , with a 2speed hilift gearbox with the trans turned 90deg. sideways.

And a tin willy jeep body on a hand cut alloy chassis with CR01 runnin gear,which is broken atthe moment.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

Yup GSRCC Drail
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I don't have the tools or space to set up a nice enough work area to scratch build my own rigs, but I will take kits and go through them and modify them to my liking. I have a High Lift that I added my own 4 link suspension to. Still have to post that one on here and I had a TLT that I bought a chassis for and scratch built the links for. Standard stuff but I had the satisfaction of building it myself. I have a feeling we'll start seeing a lot more home built truck once people get comfortable with the kits and learn what the hobby is about. Thats how I got into it.
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I figured there would be some here...right on....like I said this is my first time building links and fabing most everything on it...

very cool rigs posted on here...lots of time in them as well....I know that cause I spent 15 hours on mine this weekend and mine is NOW were near what these are....
Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

both of my scalers are home grown.
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

This started out as a stock mounty chassis. Then it evolved into this...

The next one will be all homebuilt.
jeep94xj is offline   Reply With Quote