Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: noob, with noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Default noob, with noob questions

Hi everyone I'm new to the scalers. I really want to build one, on the the super cheap, High school budget. I have a Nitro Stampede, one complete and one parts Smarttech trucks (Asian T-Maxx knock offs) and plenty of parts. I can build the frame easy enough, and I have the electronics covered (stock Traxxas ESC and servos). I would probably use the stampede tranny, but the Smarttech tranny is a single speed no reverse trans as well. the only parts I really don't have are wheels/tires, and axles.
My questions are: is that a some what decent start? whats a good and cheep axle to use? where would be best to get one? and is anyone looking to trade some parts?
thanks for any advice, I appreciate it
farmerstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

yes your to a good start im running tamiya highlift axles. i usually get my stuff from rpphobby.com or tcscrawlers.com hope that helps
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #3

Thanks for those two sites!
I started on a frame today, going with 1"x1" steel tube, which will be split in two pieces. just a flat frame for now. my wheelbase is based off this body, because I plan on using it.
a couple more questions,
Are these axles any good? or will that be super weak?
how wide should i build my frame?
Should I go 4 link or leaf sprung? I have all the pieces for 4 link, but I like leafs more. i would build leafs out of recoil started spring, but how should i make them?
thanks guys and links to similar build would be awesome, thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

seem a bit knowledgeable for a noob. If on a budget, id sell all your other rc that you dont need, then keep an eye in the classifieds for something cheap to start with or work with. axial stuff is a good bang for the buck. 200$ for a brand new scx 10 and throw some cheap electronics on it to start. but as the saying goes -built, not bought- will definately put more pride into the build. This forum is an extreme wealth of knowlege. Just use the search function and spend countless hours on research. I also second rpp hobby. Hobbypartz and hobbyking have good (no name) brand stuff that works very well. Also try wanted ads, for what you need. And start a build thread when you start so the knowledge will come to you. good luck -ben
aircooled67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #5

thanks! I'm a noob to scalers, but I've been lurking awhile, and I ran nitro trucks until I couldn't keep them running, didn't have much luck with 'em. the RC stuff I have isn't worth much...at least I don't think so lol. I've been doing ALOT of searching and trying to find a good set up. I think I'm gonna buy the axles I linked to to start with. I can make hexes to run my crappy Stampede or T-Maxx wheels/tires for now. I'm in a machining trades class so I have all the tools in the word to make parts. the drafting class I'm in has a 3D printer that prints plastic, so i might make some wheels. I scrap metal for spending money, so I guess I need to go scouting!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You're off to a good start. Look for used axles. I recently saw a set of axial axles for $50! Expect to usually pay $70-$100 for axial, TLT or hilift axles, all of which are good for a scale rig. wheels you can get plastic touring car or off road wheels for under $20 a set of 4. Expect $50ish for good tires. RPPhobby and rc4wd are both very good sources for new parts.

the axles you linked above are good but pricy. For the price of one new one you can get a pair of used ones. Actually, from rcmart.com you can buy each NIP TLT axle for $50 so $100 will buy you two new axles.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #7

where should I be looking for used axles? thats the one thing I need rather soon. Did I read that product description right? 2 axles for $100? Front and rear?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ya. it seems two for 100. They have been in my sights for a while becuase my axial axles are shot, and would be cheaper just to buy those. ebay is usually a joke for rc crawling stuff. Some sells for way too much, most are asking too much and never sell. just the classifieds here for the most part, and on ebay, just be sure of the deal of what your getting.
aircooled67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #9

ok are those axles decent priced?
damn i only have 8 posts, I need 30 for the classifieds lol
Old 01-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I've seen plenty of builds using the Stampede transmission and typically 1 speed is all you will need. Reverse not needed on the tranny since it's simply a process of the ESC to reverse the motor.

On the RC4WD axles, I have a set of those and if you're considering new, $100 for front and rear axles is not bad.

But as stated by others, they can be had for as little as $50 used for the pair.

You also asked about 4 link vs leaf spring, since you're just starting out, why not start with 4 link since you have the hardware, then as you collect change over to Leafs. On the RC4WD axles, they come standard with 4 link connections, but you can order leaf clamps to add later. On the Axial axles, they also come standard as a 4 link setup, but you can order a leaf spring conversion from several vendors.

RPP and TCS was already mentioned, they are awesome... RPP's slogan is our service rocks is definitely right ! and they're very knowledgeable.

Now on your last post, about needing 30 posts to see the classifieds, you can also donate to the site to buy your way in which is what I did since in the beginning, i was just reading and learning... as I learned more, I knew what I wanted to buy and since then have bought and sold a bunch of stuff here as well as passed along my hits and misses to others.
DarinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply! As soon as i can I'm going to start checking the classified for axles i guess!
I started work on the frame today, 1"x1" steel tube, I cut it with the band saw and it came out like junk so I milled them even, and I snagged an old recoil starter from the small engine shop and started making leaf springs, I figure no matter which axle I use, I can fab up some mounts for it.
the only thing I really dont know is how wide to set the frame rails, which will be determined by axles I guess. Or could i just use the width of any standard chassis as a reference?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Since you have the skills to make it however it needs to be, I'd wait to acquire axles then build from there.
DarinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #13

thats the thing... this is a project for my machine tool class so it needs progress, and fast. plus I only have 1 semester until I graduate.... ALL YOU YOUNGSTER'S TAKE NOTE: High school goes by quick, make good use of your time!