Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: DSD's Tundra build thread w/ trailer **NEW PICS 5-17**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default DSD's Tundra build thread w/ trailer

5-8-2012
EDIT: I'm changing this thread from just my build thread into a thread for my whole rig. Once place to keep all the photos and updates so check back often.

Well I've been in Miami for the past 4 weeks for work and today I thought I would check out a hobby shop here. I looked up some reccomendations and got a good lead on one called Warrick's Hobby Super Store up in Ft. Lauderdale. I could tell it was a big store from the outside and when I went in my senses were overwhelmed. So much cool stuff, from model trains, models, rockets, everything rc, boats, cars, planes along with all the parts, tools, and whatever else you wanted. I had been looking at a Tamiya Tundra Highlift the past few weeks and was just about to order it when I got home next weekend and I was going through the Tamiya section (ya a whole section!) and what do you know, they had one. Not only did they have it but it was cheaper than Tower, by almost $100. So I figured it was worth it since there wouldn't be any shipping and it was a good price. So now I finally have something to call a legitimate scaler. Can't wait to get home to start building.

Last edited by dont slow down; 01-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I want to build a high lift so bad.. my next purchase for sure. Have fun!
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I really have been thinking about a scaler build i think the hilux is a great start, happy building
lowandslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks, I've always wanted a highlift and I finally have one, but I might end up selling my emaxx to offset the cost of this thing. It's driving me nuts having it here but not being able to start building it till I get home in a week. I did however order a bearing set from tower so those should be there waiting for me. I'm still trying to figure out what electronics I want to run. Should I go brushless which I would have to buy or go with brushed which I already have. My radio is another concern, I have a 3 channel JR XS3 which has the third channel but it isn't a 3 position channel. I've read about mods to change out the switch on the Traxxas TQ3 but could I do the same to my JR? Also I was looking at upgrading to a DX3S but would that work with the 3 position 3rd channel?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
RCC Addict

You will really enjoy putting this kit together! Its a really nice kit and AWESOME finished truck!
Have fun and enjoy!
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont slow down View Post
Thanks, I've always wanted a highlift and I finally have one, but I might end up selling my emaxx to offset the cost of this thing. It's driving me nuts having it here but not being able to start building it till I get home in a week. I did however order a bearing set from tower so those should be there waiting for me. I'm still trying to figure out what electronics I want to run. Should I go brushless which I would have to buy or go with brushed which I already have. My radio is another concern, I have a 3 channel JR XS3 which has the third channel but it isn't a 3 position channel. I've read about mods to change out the switch on the Traxxas TQ3 but could I do the same to my JR? Also I was looking at upgrading to a DX3S but would that work with the 3 position 3rd channel?
To answer you questions, I would stick with brushed. As for the radio setup the JR you have and a DX3S are both only 2pos 3rd channel and there isn't a mod to change that on either. If you really want a 3 pos 3rd I would either by a DX3E or spring for a DX3R. Or you could always buy a 3PM-X futaba.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

One question I've always wondered is, do you have to have a 3 channel radio? I have a DX3.0, but I'm not sure if my 3rd channel would be capable of shifting the transmission properly.
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Started building it finally. Got the tranny and frame together. Question: on the middle shift ring the instructions say do not replace with ball bearings but I did anyway, anyone say otherwise? Finally hunted down enough bearings for the axles so I'll work on those today. Will post pics tonight.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here are some progress pics.

Pretty good build so far, really enjoying it but it's been way too long since I've done a kit. I find myself getting turned around and lost from time to time but still getting through it.

Last edited by dont slow down; 05-01-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

thats one cool truck. ive never done anything like that. i just do sc10s, rc10s, and losi rock crawlers
rock monster 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

This is my third kit, second of which is a Tamiya and I have to say I love Tamiya kits. Little written directions but the pictures are very accurate and it shows most of the parts in life size. I would recommend a Tamiya kit to anyone of any skill.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Been working on this the past few days but haven't had time to put up pics, so here we go. Got everything assembled but the body. The body is going to take as long as the truck, if not longer.

Testing and setting up the electronics.

Cleaned up the wiring.

Couple teaser shots.

Gonna have to work on the flex, suspension is really stiff and I already opted to leave out 2 leaves per pack. I found some tricks on here to try out though.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Finally finished this up last night. It was a great build and I enjoyed it a lot. Tamiya makes some sweet kits that's for sure. This was my first time painting a hard body and it came out pretty good, just don't look too close at it, ha!. Can't wait to get it outside to run it.

I stripped the chrome off the wheels and gave them a coat of flat black, I might add the chrome beadlock rings later, but I like the way it looks without them.

Last coat of white drying.

Taped and painted around the windows.

Taped and painted the bumper flat black.

Painted the roll bar flat black as well, I need to get new clear lenses for it because I ended up with glue fingerprints on them when I glued them in.

Grill done. Tamiya's detail is awesome. The metal transfer stickers are freakin cool!

Gave the bed a "bed liner" with a coat of flat black.

Snowboard bindings done.

Snowboards

Snowboards assembled

Tail gate assembled

Bed assembled

Bed installed.

Front grill assembled

Windows in.

Mirrors on.

Cab installed. Done!!

Installed the decals this morning. I still have to assemble the roof rack and install it. Will post more pics when those are done.

Last edited by dont slow down; 05-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Now that the truck is finished I've been keeping busy adding some finishing touches to it. I ordered a custom led light set from billscustomrclighting.com and got a regular set of headlights, tail lights, and auxilary lighting. Bill is a great guy, outstanding quality, great service and great prices. I will definatly be ordering more from him in the future. The light kit was a bit tricky to install with so many lights and getting the body back on without pulling anything out. Got it in though and it looks great. Just finished building a scale reciever hitch, my first time making something out of brass. Let me know what you think. I don't have brazing equipment so I soldered it together but I plan on getting some brazing stuff later on for more projects. Anyway forgive the crude joints, I went back and cleaned them up a bit before I painted it (paint drying now).

Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default awesome build

hey dude awesome build i am getting me one of these sometime soon were there any trouble spots that i should be concered about with building this will be my first total rc build thanks
tundrafan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

No real trouble spots, just take you're time and make sure you get everything completed in each step. A few times I found I had forgotten something in a step. Make sure the transmission operates smoothly before closing it up and mounting it. There is a thread on tundra and f350 high lift build tips here if you search for it. This is by far the coolest truck I've ever built or owned. You will love it.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

that is a great looking truck man, nice hitch have any ideas on the ball for it
lil wasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:26 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Yes the ball was the easy part. I got this thing painted and mounted up and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I just hope it holds up to use.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'm having too much fun with this thing. I ordered a set of 1.9 Mudslingers for it and a set of the wheel hub axle nuts. I also made a hitch plug.

For the hitch plug I cut out the flat top part of a spray paint can cap and attached a extra Toyota metal transfer decal I had left over. I put together a small piece of square tubing and flat stock and soldered them together. A little servo tape to hold it all together and there you have it. I'm also working on another alternate grill to go in using the spare billet grill that comes with the kit. I'll post up pics when it's done. Here are some pics of the hitch cover.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

love the hitch and plug! looks much better than any 1:1 tundra! (I hate the 1:1s)
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote