Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: building frame???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default building frame???

I am building a frame for my ax-10.. I was hoping that someone could give me some pointers. I cant seem to get anything to bend the way i want it. I have tryed to bend several things and was tryin do it with heat, with out heat and it keeps folding or twisting. Im tryin to use channel so it looks like a real frame. Do i need to cut and weld or is there a way to bend this stuff? Im stuck and would like any advice...I am building it to go under my new bright jeep body

thank for any help
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Ive seen guys have pretty good luck bending square tubing ,then cutting it in half. Vise and torch plus some elbow grease to bend.

or just pick yourself up some used scx10 framerails

looking great so far....
2brokefor1:1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
RCC Addict

thanks... i was goin to get the scx frame but its to short to get bumpers mounted right..i set the body on my daughters scx to check, didnt really like the way it sat. i like the tubing idea, and i have a little extra elbo grease so i will give it a go

thanks again
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ah yes you're right. It is short for that body. Just FYI a company named gcm makes a chassis that fits pretty well. I think its called the cross canyon.
2brokefor1:1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I saw a build where the guy just cut the SCX frame in the middle and added a piece to extend it...seemed like an easy fix.

I was looking at this body on my SCX frame and it looks like a pretty straight-forward project. I would just make extended mounts for the bumpers if I were going to do it.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've seen some people build their own frames, Ive wondered about doing this also, ive done some 1:1 scale metal work, but idk about work this small. I wonder what types of tools would be involved in getting it to be so straight and making making two to match up nearly perfect has to be harder than it looks...
blukon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thats sweet!
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Keep us posted on what you find and do. Some day in the future I would like to try this and lots more..lol
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

74hr workin last week and weekend...not much progress on the crawler. I will get some stuff goin this week...i hope lol. I picked up a welder,oxy setup, vices and everything i think i might need to do this up right..ohh i got the keg filled also..
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
RCC Addict

i bought some square tubing today and im goin to try to get a frame built tomorrow. I was thinking about a build video for bending a frame or maybe just alot of step by step pics.. What would everyone like to see? I will only post it all if it turns out good or maybe I will post mistakes as well so others can learn what not to do.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #11
RCC Addict

A video would be sweet I've been wanting to attempt this. I made a few frames out of 1/4 band steel that works really well.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
RCC Addict

i started to layout my frame and got 13.25in wheelbase, is this to long for ttc? I want to build this up so i can run it in scale comps/ttc. if i go with a shorter wb it wont line up with the wheel wells.. any thoughts or ideas

thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Nope, your fine for scale stuff, TTC or comps.

By the way, I'm up in Johnstown I seen you posted in "Fortcrawlness" thread in the CO section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
i started to layout my frame and got 13.25in wheelbase, is this to long for ttc? I want to build this up so i can run it in scale comps/ttc. if i go with a shorter wb it wont line up with the wheel wells.. any thoughts or ideas

thanks

Last edited by R2j; 08-26-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: clarify
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
RCC Addict

is the extra inch going to cause any trouble with the drive shafts? im running the mip shafts
Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
is the extra inch going to cause any trouble with the drive shafts? im running the mip shafts

Are you running the ones for the SCX or for the AX? I run the AX ones and would have plenty of room to stretch out. Just try and do it equally.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
RCC Addict

i have the ax style..i have to move the tranny towards the rear just a tiny bit so it tucks under the body better, i would say about 1/8.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
i have the ax style..i have to move the tranny towards the rear just a tiny bit so it tucks under the body better, i would say about 1/8.

I think it should be fine. Now I'm curious, I'll look at my FJ when I get home, it is at 12.5", and if I can remember right, I don't think any if at all of the splines are showing. And also, they are made for the AX being at 12", so roughly 5/8" longer to both sides wouldn't be too much.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
RCC Addict

thanks.. I got the frame bent but didnt get to video it because the wife has are cam. i will get some pics of it bent.. im stuck on the cutting the tube in half i dont have a band saw except a porta ban and that didnt work well at all on a test cut. help with ideas please...thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I've wondered about this part, I think I would just take it to a shop and pay..lol
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
RCC Addict

bending the tube was easy and very hot...just made template and then heat up tubing until it was red hot where i wanted the bend and pulled it to the angle i wanted.... NOTE: DONT start your frame bending at the end of the tube!!!! say your frame is 18in long, i would buy 4ft piece of tubing and bend your frame frome center and cut off extra. if you dont do this it will be harder to get the leverage you will need to bend it smothly. I would also drill any holes you need or at least a couple for reference points before you cut tubing in half to make them all line up perfect. MORE TO COME!! will have some pics up later tonight.. hope this is good info