Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Need some help with my future build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need some help with my future build!

As the title says, I need some help with a future build I am planning. I want to build a scale version of my '98 S10 Chevy Blazer. Now first, I am going to have to have this body made. I remember this member that was building super awesome custom bodies, but I don't remember who exactly it was. Could anyone help?
Also, I was thinking a 1/10 version of it. Will my MRC axles work? I just went out and measured the width of my blazer, and it's roughly 55", so the 5 1/2" MRC axles should be perfect, correct?
I also need to make a chassis. I have access to a CNC machine and the programs to go with it, so could someone help me with a design?
Next is wheels, 1.5's are what I'm after. But are there any 1.5" corvette rally's out there? If not how hard would it be to make some?

That's it for now. I know I'll have more questions later, but I'll let these be answered to see what kind of challenge I'm looking at. Thanks in advance for the help!
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Come on! Someone has to be able to help me!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

I think the issue is that some of your idea's are fine but your asking input to a subject that only you can answer based on your capabilities. Building a full on custom truck can be done if you have the money but you have to be realistic too.

I will tell you first off that I wouldnt use MRC axles. Look into getting some Axial axles based on price, reliability and performance.

as far as making a custom shell goes, I know there was someone but to be honest I dont believe they were a vendor here very long. Its just too hard to form a shell based on nothing. to make a shell you need a mold to go off of.

if you can make the chassis that is great as well, but if you dont know what your doing, then all youll have is frustration. Look into getting an SCX10 or Honcho chassis and build off that. Its a much easier plan in the long run and will perform better. Also TCScrawlers and MontanaScale Designs both have some nice chassis that are very capable to go off of.

And finally, maing custom wheels is expensive. Trust me I know and have asked. again it can be done if you have the money, but lets face it, unless your truck is gonna be a shelf queen your better off going with what is out there.

Good luck to ya and spend some time looking through the scale builds in the 1.9 and 2.2 section. I think if you look awhile youll understand that a majority uses certain products and builds their trucks for a reason using trusted parts.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Stu, AKA, Microgoat, has posted several threads on making and forming custom bodies. Unless you're looking to invest a small fortune in this thing, DIY is the best route.
For wheels, look at some Tamiya Frog wheels, front or rear depending on needed width. With some styrene and a little work you could probably replicate what you're after.
As far as the frame goes, look at your 1:1 frame and base it off that, plan running gear and where things will mount etc etc, and you should end up with what you need.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ah well just screw it then. I'm done with crawlers. This is all I wanted and it sounds impossible.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
www.team3sixrc.com

Brother, you dont have to give up at all. Anything can be done with enough patience and want. you just have to investigate it a bit more to see if it can be done. we all have to make sacrafices sometimes. I want a lot of builds that I have in mind. some things can be done while others I just dont have enough time for. Its not as impossible as it may sound, but no one ever said that RC was a cheap hobby either.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, building a custom rig definitely takes a lot of commitment and patience. That's what makes the end result worth it - plus the benefit of driving something completely different than everyone else.

I am probably like 95% of the guys on this board and have multiple projects ongoing. Some come together quicker (like converting my X-Trail Honda Osyssey to a more scale Ramcharger Prospector 4X4) while others languish (my 1:6 Willys project still waiting for axles and links). I know they are good projects that, with a little patience and work, will see the light of day soon. Besides, creating these things is half the fun.
Zod Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Ah well just screw it then. I'm done with crawlers. This is all I wanted and it sounds impossible.
With that attitude it is impossible. You can't expect everyone to just give you the answers and/or tell you how to build or build it for you.
All you need to spend to get started is time, search through the scale and scale tech sections here and at Scale4X4 and you'll see plenty of people with no real know-how doing similar builds.

The biggest thing is planing, and take your time to get it done right.
Building it yourself you'll have a great sense of accomplishment and pride in the finished product, and as well prep your for other such projects.

Yeah, now I see your 94, so I'm guessing you're just another punk kid that expects everything to be easy or done for them. Lazy ass kids now a days, well you know what, crawlers say their done with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC crawlers
Ah well just screw amorton94 then. We're done with him. He gives up too easy and thinks it's all impossible.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 09-03-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
With that attitude it is impossible. You can't expect everyone to just give you the answers and/or tell you how to build or build it for you.
All you need to spend to get started is time, search through the scale and scale tech sections here and at Scale4X4 and you'll see plenty of people with no real know-how doing similar builds.

The biggest thing is planing, and take your time to get it done right.
Building it yourself you'll have a great sense of accomplishment and pride in the finished product, and as well prep your for other such projects.

Yeah, now I see your 94, so I'm guessing you're just another punk kid that expects everything to be easy or done for them. Lazy ass kids now a days, well you know what, crawlers say their done with you!

Born in '94, smart one.
I was looking for some help/advice and all I get is people telling me to search and look stuff up, as if I haven't already. No one can even give me the username of the guy on here that use to make custom bodies, for pretty cheap at that. But after talking to my buddy with the cnc machine, it sounds like I can just do the body on the cnc.
I really don't know why I made this thread. I know that the majority of the posts on here are just smart ass remarks, but for some reason I thought I would get some help. Then again after making this thread I realized that this is actually a pretty simple build and I'm making it harder than it needs to be.
But whatever, say what you will. I look forward to reading your smart remarks after I post this
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

And yet you disregard the posts of people actually trying to help you. Typical.

I find this board a very productive one for ideas and such. No one is gonna hold your hand, but can offer help and advice for builds.

Team3six and Thorsteenster offered up good direction and then you're like "screw it then".

If your feelings are so easily hurt, maybe the internet is not for you.
Zod Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Maybe because no one knows who the hell you're talking about, so that's why there is a Search button up top.
I stand by my commentary and append know it all too.

Is it a CNC Dremel? Just saying CNC doesn't say anything, it's like saying with a hand powered tool, or a motorized tool, tool.
In any event, good luck making a body with anything CNC controlled unless it's 3D.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Born in '94, smart one.
I was looking for some help/advice and all I get is people telling me to search and look stuff up, as if I haven't already. No one can even give me the username of the guy on here that use to make custom bodies, for pretty cheap at that. But after talking to my buddy with the cnc machine, it sounds like I can just do the body on the cnc.
I really don't know why I made this thread. I know that the majority of the posts on here are just smart ass remarks, but for some reason I thought I would get some help. Then again after making this thread I realized that this is actually a pretty simple build and I'm making it harder than it needs to be.
But whatever, say what you will. I look forward to reading your smart remarks after I post this
would you like some cheese with that whine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod Rhombus View Post

And yet you disregard the posts of people actually trying to help you. Typical.

I find this board a very productive one for ideas and such. No one is gonna hold your hand, but can offer help and advice for builds.

Team3six and Thorsteenster offered up good direction and then you're like "screw it then".

If your feelings are so easily hurt, maybe the internet is not for you.
well said....
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #13

Try to find an old Radio Shack Eradicator. It's a 94-98 ish S-10 step side pickup body. It has an 11" wheel base and is 8" wide. It wouldn't take much to turn it into the Blazer you want. Add a SCX10 chassis and adjust the wheel base on the chassis and you would be done.
Decible142 is offline   Reply With Quote