Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 2 or 3 noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #1

Default 2 or 3 noob questions

OK, first, where are y'all getting the "toy" hardbodies? Buy the whole truck for the bodies? somewhere else?

Second, I want to start working with styrene. What all do I need to know/ use? Any tips on it?

Third, what are the comm tubes used to build bumpers and such when using a Mig welder? thanks guys!
Highboost73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Just the body = eBay or the F.S here you might score something otherwise you'll have to buy the whole truck for the body.

And the tube, if you are mig welding it then dont use tube use solid bar. You will just blow through tube with a mig. The best option to join tube is to braise it, and there is a thread dedicated to that.

I have never used styrene so I cant help you with that.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

mig welding brake like from auto zone works great! its not too strong, but if your mig settings are good it wont blow through, use solid .023 wire with good shiedling gas, no flux core! that will pop through! It comes out nice. also change your gas and feed wire to stainless and you can find recycled surgical stailess tube for cheep(a dollar or two per pound vs new thats 8 dollars per foot..). and then have a strong sucker you can stand on, and it doesnt need finnishing! ive built a few with solid line and its just too heavy even with cold rolled steel. but very easy!
local hobby shops carry tamiya hard bodys, or tower hobby, ebay too but alot of those need many parts trees whice makes ebay suck!
gardenwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highboost73 View Post
OK, first, where are y'all getting the "toy" hardbodies? Buy the whole truck for the bodies? somewhere else?

Second, I want to start working with styrene. What all do I need to know/ use? Any tips on it?

Third, what are the comm tubes used to build bumpers and such when using a Mig welder? thanks guys!
you pretty well got, most people get there "toy car bodys" from the toy store. sometimes they can be found used or on ePay, but half the time they are the same price as a brand new one at the local toy store.

i've yet to work with styrene, this is something i'm interested in doing aswell, lots of builds using it in the scale 1.55 section.

3/16 or 1/4 brake line are most common i've found (tube, best bet is to braze this) personaly I have a mig welder, so I dont want to get all the stuff to start brazing, i've used 1/8" 3/16" and 1/4" solid rod.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote