Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 6X6 rear bogey setup brainstorming...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 6X6 rear bogey setup brainstorming...

Ok so I am trying to figure out a way to run some sort of alternative rear bogey setup for a potential 6x6 axial based project...
My main idea is to have the axle inputs faceing each other with some sort of vertical gear driven dropdown to give it better front to back (up nad down) as well as indepentant axle movements...
The main focus being to keep the rear 4 wheels planted as much as possible...

I also envision the idea that if the input is facing inward it would also allow the front axle more of an approach angle or bite at whatever obstacle the front axle has already traveled over...
any ideas of thoughts would be appreciated...
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

ne hought that I had was to use a transfer case but cant think of how to keep it from rotating with the axles.. something tells me that I am just going to have to wing it.. and give it a shot..
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Could you run "through" one axle into the next? Take 2 pinion axle halves and use one as an input and the other as an output? Then flip the rear axle so that it spins the right direction.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yes he can.
But I think that he is wanting more travle than that would alow.
Burntnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

something like this?
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yep something like that only with the transfer case in between the two axles.. this way the main driveshaft would come in above the axles to the transfer case then to the individual rear axles.. the trick is to keep it 1.9 sized tires and not have a huge unrealistic gap between them.. the only other sticking point would be getting the shorter driveshafts to telescope and compress without popping.. I have seen the taking to input houseings to create a passthrough axle but kinda am thinking about a slightly different route to try and keep all four rear wheels onthe ground for max traction, and forward movement capability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
something like this?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You are talking about the same set up I am doing on my 6x6 as I work out the details of the design at this point.

Heres my plan.

Motor/trans mounted mid chassis with drive shaft facing forward. The front drive shaft runs to the front axle as normal then the rearward drive shaft runs from the trans to a t-case mounted between the rear and center axles. My idea though is to 4 link both the rear axle and the center axle but the center axle will link forward while the rear axle links rearward. The rear links will help when reversing onto an obsticle.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

If you have a build thread post it up please.. or info on how you are going to mount the transfer case... this is very similar to what I am thinking.. my thought instead of using a front and rear facing 4 link was to use a central pivot point or separate pivots similar to what I have seen on the Tamiya based 6x6 rigs.. I belive it is refered to as a walking beam style suspension....Im going to do a horrible drawing of what I am envisioning..
since I dont have acces or knowledge to run a CAD program...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
You are talking about the same set up I am doing on my 6x6 as I work out the details of the design at this point.

Heres my plan.

Motor/trans mounted mid chassis with drive shaft facing forward. The front drive shaft runs to the front axle as normal then the rearward drive shaft runs from the trans to a t-case mounted between the rear and center axles. My idea though is to 4 link both the rear axle and the center axle but the center axle will link forward while the rear axle links rearward. The rear links will help when reversing onto an obsticle.