Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: What motors for wet conditions??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default What motors for wet conditions??

Hey guys i just built up my first scaler and have been messing around in the snow and been having problems with the motors kind of crapping out on me. Ive just been using stock slash motors because i have them laying around but not having good luck with them. I wasnt sure if a brushless motor would hold of better of if you guys are doing anything to the motors to improve them.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

If you use a good motor spray on the motors after they get wet and oil the bushings there should never be an issue with the Titans.

I prefer brushed for the water primarily because there are not many waterproof Brushless ESCs that can handle low speeds, the VXL is real nice but cogs badly when you try to crawl.

Sensored Brushless can take the water also as long as you clean them but the brushless Sensored ESCs I know of re not waterproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Hey guys i just built up my first scaler and have been messing around in the snow and been having problems with the motors kind of crapping out on me. Ive just been using stock slash motors because i have them laying around but not having good luck with them. I wasnt sure if a brushless motor would hold of better of if you guys are doing anything to the motors to improve them.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the titan motor just likes to crapout with or with out water

Last edited by Erik R; 12-31-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Erik R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For snow and water running I reccomend a cheaper brushed style motor, such as the Integy Lathe series of motors. About $20, replaceable brushes, and decent performance. Only bummer is they utilize bushings which need to be lubed after every dunking or they start to get loose which degrades motor performance.

Agreed that cleaning after water running significantly extends motor life. Other wise the insides start to corrode and rust.

I don't think I've had a Titan last more than five packs, in the RTR vehicles they come in none-the-less. I had way better luck with the older Stingers.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

pound the bushings out of the motor can and replace with bearings and ull get more performance out of them, still have to oil though...
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

The VXL which is waterproof, is both sensored and sensorless. The sensor plug is covered by a rubber boot.
TX-Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #7

i run a velineon system i use the 50% training program and it crawls perfectly with 0% cogging and i hear about low speed cogging alot but with the 3 velineons ive owned not one of them has cogged (i had 3 because ive sold previous builds not cuz they crapped out)
lil' losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Sensored Brushless can take the water also as long as you clean them but the brushless Sensored ESCs I know of re not waterproof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Eddie View Post
The VXL which is waterproof, is both sensored and sensorless. The sensor plug is covered by a rubber boot.
Most people don't realise that the Traxxas Velineon is a sensored ESC.I have used it with a sensored 17.5 brushless motor and was able to gear it to crawl fairly smoothly.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote